This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Survey questions for my Senior app idea? (Find food that fits your diet via app)

izzy-180

izzy-180 Newbie

Hey guys im going around asking some questions for my research about my senior app. Im trying to build an app that allows users with specific diets or restrictions (ex: gluten free) to find food near by from restaurants, not just restaurants but the actual FOOD items from the menu.
I have a few questions to ask if you are able to answer some of these for me I just need as much feedback as possible it would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

1. How do you stick to your diet outside of home? Do you pack lunch to work?
2. How do you currently find new restaurants or foods that will work with your diet needs? Do you find it difficult to find foods that will fit your diet?
3. How would an app that finds gluten free foods near by help you? Would you use this app? why or why not?
4.What sort of features would you like to see in an app like this? what features would make you use this type of app?

5.If it isnt possible to find the specific foods, but rather only restaurants, what specific features could make this app better than something like Yelp? (ex: showing the menu in app etc)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
10 hours ago, izzy_180 said:

1. How do you stick to your diet outside of home? Do you pack lunch to work?

I only eat food that I have prepared most of the time. I bring my lunch to work.
2. How do you currently find new restaurants or foods that will work with your diet needs? Do you find it difficult to find foods that will fit your diet?

I live near a Wegmans which makes it easy to find gluten free food. They label all their name brands if safe. As a rule I don't go to restaurants because their errors will make me ill for weeks.
3. How would an app that finds gluten free foods near by help you? Would you use this app? why or why not?

I don't use apps. I use my phone as a phone.
4.What sort of features would you like to see in an app like this? what features would make you use this type of app? 

5.If it isnt possible to find the specific foods, but rather only restaurants, what specific features could make this app better than something like Yelp? (ex: showing the menu in app etc)

Menus and workers change so any items on an app would need to be checked when ordering at the venue.  It is great you are trying to be helpful to the celiac population but many of us need to be really careful where and what we eat because even a small mistake by a restaurant worker can have very dire consequences for us.

cyclinglady Grand Master

There are already a few apps, like “Find Me Gluten Free” which are based on user reviews and thus, not super reliable.  Consider developing an app for something like Paleo or Keto to combat, say, diabetes.  If mistakes are made during Paleo or Keto food prep, it will not make anyone ill.  

If the restaurant is not gluten free dedicated, I do not eat out.  

kareng Grand Master

I use Find me gluten free app and local facebook groups to find restaurants and what’s good and gluten-free there.