madameflan

Wheat fiber dishware??

Rate this topic

I just purchased a few cups from a dollar store, and unfortunately I didn’t realize until I got home that they are made out of wheat fiber! I hate to waste the money and toss them if they’re safe to use.... Does anybody have any experience with wheat fiber dishware and contamination? Thanks!

I would personally not use them nor would I use them in my gluten free catering business.
Gluten Free Watch Dog did some testing a few few brands of "Wheat Straw" products, They could not detect any traceable amounts of gluten but their were complications with the standard testing methods but from what I gathered they never had anything in the detectable range.

If you have a receipt, take them back.  If you don’t, then donate them.  You are worry8ng now and you are going to worry when you use them.  Sometimes piece of mind is worth more than $1.00.  Yep, a dollar!  

That is what I would do.  My brain has been trained to avoid wheat/gluten, so I do.  It just makes it easier for me.  I am not a risk taker.  

On 12/3/2019 at 3:19 AM, Ennis_TX said:

I would personally not use them nor would I use them in my gluten free catering business.
Gluten Free Watch Dog did some testing a few few brands of "Wheat Straw" products, They could not detect any traceable amounts of gluten but their were complications with the standard testing methods but from what I gathered they never had anything in the detectable range.

Thanks for your input! Opting out just to be safe.

On 12/3/2019 at 6:50 AM, cyclinglady said:

If you have a receipt, take them back.  If you don’t, then donate them.  You are worry8ng now and you are going to worry when you use them.  Sometimes piece of mind is worth more than $1.00.  Yep, a dollar!  

That is what I would do.  My brain has been trained to avoid wheat/gluten, so I do.  It just makes it easier for me.  I am not a risk taker.  

I gave them to a friend, so luckily nothing wasted! Unfortunately, for myself and many others right now, a dollar is the difference between whether or not I get a meal. Glad you don't have to worry about that, though!

1 hour ago, madameflan said:

I gave them to a friend, so luckily nothing wasted! Unfortunately, for myself and many others right now, a dollar is the difference between whether or not I get a meal. Glad you don't have to worry about that, though!

Please do not take offense.  I was comparing a dollar to an expensive hospital visit or missing work.  I was trying to look at the big picture.  😊

I called home once when I was out on my own for food advice.    One of my roommates had a jar of mayonnaise in the refrigerator.  I did not know how long it had been there.  My Dad answered.  He asked me of it was worth a dollar to get sick from a possible spoiled jar of mayonnaise.  I heeded his advice. That was over 40 years ago.