• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guest MSFL

Wow Im In Trouble

Rate this topic

You'll notice that his last posting is more business-like, and believable, already. This is because I pushed it - that's the way to get action. Everybody sitting around "hand-holding" does nothing.

I wasn't aware we were required to post in a business-like fashion in order to get genuine responses to our questions. Personally, I like a person to feel free to be themselves...I came on here (as myself) and as was treated with decency. Why is he any different? Many of us can pinpoint when our symptoms began and the circumstances surrounding them...I know I've posted my situation more than once and I certainly am not looking for dates on this forum. If I were a man would you be subjecting me to your rudeness?

Get off your high horse and stop being an @$$hole! I live and work in NY... lived here all my life; have gone through plenty of stuff in my life that to be honest my friends constantly stare at me in disabelief and ask how I am "normal" and not sitting in therapy 4 days a week, and snorting coke. But along the way, I was taught manners, which you clearly weren't. I live in your same "real world" but I seem to be able to manage to be nice. If you're not capable of being a decent person then don't post here, because it doesn't seem anyone appreciates your hostility towards someone who is seeking help.People like you are the reason people think NY'ers are nasty. Because clearly you are.

Your posting was WAY nastier than anything I have posted in this, or any other thread.

That guy is referring to his ex-wife as "evil", and I called him on it. He claimed to eat only banana, and I questioned that. I also had a few other questions that anybody with an inkling of common sense would wonder about.

You are insulting my upbringing, which I have never done to anybody.

You are also using curse words, or the symbols for them, which I have never done here.

This is not, in my opinion, very "nice". If you cannot be nice, then maybe YOU should not post here.

Guest MSFL
There's a bit of a cultural misunderstanding here.

My perspective on this is not one of "Southern Hospitality" (although that type of charm has it's place) - it's one that I learned the hard way, in a tough environment. This guy has to get it together, if he wants to be an American. I live, and work, among 153 nationalities, and over 120 languages are spoken in New York. Maybe I sound "rude" to you, but in the "real" world, that I know, things are not like a pretty-perfect picture. You'll notice that his last posting is more business-like, and believable, already. This is because I pushed it - that's the way to get action. Everybody sitting around "hand-holding" does nothing.

Ok celiachap. The environment is not the problem for me.

Before you judge me I have done my duty to america thru the armed forces and just because im not an american citizen it does not make me less person.

I saved "your people" and i helped "your people" but i dont expect special treatment for that. I dont use the system. I paying taxes and i have helped many americans in diffrent situation to show my appreciation to the american people for letting me stay and work here. Plus my ex wife lived in Sweden for many years and get a monthly check from the government in sweden. So there is "bad people" among you also.

I think i stated that i was not worried about my personal status. Its material things and it can always be replaced. I dont know if stress adds to the effect of celiacs. I know ulcers and other problems can be happening due to stress.

HOpe you start feeling better. We are thinking of you. Not sure what to offer you as advice. Be sure you are eating gluten-free. It sounds like you aren't eating at all. Have you been going to the same ER? It definitely sounds like you should be admitted if you aren't eating at all and have lost 80lbs. I guess eventually if you aren't able to function, then they will have to do something more then give you Nexium.

Sorry, I don't have all the advice, but hope somehow you start feeling better.

Monica

Hi Monica..

Im trying the gluten free diet. but have got a lot of good tips from here about where other sources can be. Right now i eat one banana a day. some citrus fruit today and been drinking water. If i try something more "heavy" it flying out of me thru the stol or by throwing up. And its the same thing that happens when i eat gluten..

I have tried 2 diffrent hospitals. same result. But there is some more around here. I have gone from size 42 pants to 32. and still loosing weight.

I understand also from reading here that that joint pain is common. something my doctor never told me. Explains why that is happening

Your posting was WAY nastier than anything I have posted in this, or any other thread.

That guy is referring to his ex-wife as "evil", and I called him on it. He claimed to eat only banana, and I questioned that. I also had a few other questions that anybody with an inkling of common sense would wonder about.

You are insulting my upbringing, which I have never done to anybody.

You are also using curse words, or the symbols for them, which I have never done here.

This is not, in my opinion, very "nice". If you cannot be nice, then maybe YOU should not post here.

So basically you acknowlege you are a nasty person, hence you deserve a nasty response back. And yes I am insulting your upbringing, because clearly you haven't learned the basics of human interaction. While I would never respond to someone who didn't desererve it in this manner you clearly seem to have no regards for other peoples feelings and as far as I'm now concerned we should no longer have any regard for yours.

And why the heck do you care so much what this guy thinks of his ex-wife. He's certainly not the first person to refer to an ex as evil. I'm sure in his eyes that was putting it nicely. Guess what, my ex-mother is evil; does that make my posts fake!

Since I was a big part of this post, let's just call it a night on this one and close. There is no reason for this to continue. It can only go from bad to worse, so let's close it for now.

To NSFY, if you feel you want to post with other questions feel free, we will be here for you. Everyone here has issues, food, relationships, work, children, meds, depression, motivation and so many others.

They are all open for discussion. We have all been there, and are very willing to share our stories.

We are open to all people who have issues and many forum to explore.

Let's close this one for tonight, sleep well all. :)

Lisa B

I have gone to a diet person and she told me i could not eat wheat. My sister back home in Sweden has the same as me and she filled me on the diet.

I just want to check on this:

you know you have to avoid more than just wheat, right? you also have to avoid rye, barley, and oats, and all the hidden ingredients that could contain gluten, like modified food starch and soy sauce.

Hi MSFL,

Just wanted to chime in (albeit late, obviously), so make sure your understand that any questions you have, and I mean ANY, will be welcomed here and friendly support won't be long coming. I never checked, but does this forum have an "ignore" button? Use it....... ;) (but not on me!!!) :lol:

You have to get down to brass tacks and go through EVERYTHING that even remotely comes close to your mouth. We have all had to go through that "trial period", where we had to have the help of others to spot the "hidden gluten" in our environment. For me, it happened to be Gas-X Chewable Tablets, which I was eating like candy due to REALLY bad gas, and hey, guess what, they contained gluten!!! (the softgels are okay for us, by the way, if you need them)...... Maybe it would help if you posted some of your other things like medications, vitamins, over the counter meds, toothpaste, mouthwash, lotions, shampoos, etc. etc. We might just be able to spot something.....

Celiachap, I can't believe how disappointed I am in your responses to this gentleman. Perhaps he didn't sound "business like" the first few times because of brain fog (which, by the way, I am suffering from right now after getting glutened for the first time in a VERY long time a couple of days ago, but that's another story). My point is, I am having difficulty putting sentences together right now and have to go back and double check because I feel like there are 50 roasted marshmallows that have taken the place of my brain. Another thing that you might consider is a English as a second language issue..... Sorry to burst your bubble, but not everyone can sound like Wall Street big wigs when they are typing, last time I checked, they didn't have any "accent" smilies on forums to give us hints that it is a language barrier that maybe is making him sound "not business-like"......

Celiachap, are you sure you are not a re-incarnation of someone who was on here, oh, geez, maybe a year or so ago? You sure do sound just like him. Me thinks perhaps you have "re-invented" yourself? Could it be because he wasn't welcome here anymore? Jeez, I wonder why.......

That's it, I have absolutely used up every ounce of energy on this post, gotta go before I do a face-plant into the desk.......

Karen

Canadian Karen is 100% right about your checking EVERYTHING. Even something as simple as an over the counter headache tablet can contain gluten. I learned about L-Glutamine on this forum and I still take one a day just in case I accidentaly get glutened. I was taking three a day to help heal the small intestine and it helped a lot. It takes time to stop the problems, but you have to be 100% gluten free for it to start. And yes, I think stress can aggrevate your system. But, for now you need to just concentrate on making sure that anything you ingest is free of gluten. Once you are doing that, everything else will slowly fall into place. Good Luck. It is not easy, but it is well worth the effort. Armetta

All

First time here and im trying to find a solution to my problems. I was diagnosed with Celiacs 2 years ago and the doctor gave me Acid folic and a med called belladonna.

6 months ago i got divorced and my belly started to act up. now i have lost the house, car all my assets and my job , health insurance and so on due to an evil ex wife. It feels like the celiacs has become so much worse to the point where i have lost over 80 lbs and now eat one banana a day.

I have been to the ER and they told me everything was in my head so i did not get any help. Have been there 2 times and the same story.

What can i do to settle down the stomach ? Anytips.. I cant visit my Dr because of the insurance so the only way is to try to do it with out the healthcare.

Oh i forgot.. im starting to have a hard time keeping stuff down and nasuated most of the days. diareea and pain out of this world... Its from the stomach where i always have problems when i eat gluten.

I know all my problems otherwise will be ok... but this is freaking me out...

Hi,

Just wanted to welcome you to the board. The first thing you need to do is take a deep breath and calm down. I have IBS as well as gluten intolerance and the thing you must do is eat soluble food for a while,

this would be soft mushy foods like bananas, mashed potatoes, applesauce, etc. Stay away from insoluble foods especially citrus and things with berries such as blueberries. Also it is a good idea to start your meals with fiber pills such as Citracel which is gluten free, you must drink a lot of water with these. After you get your stomach feeling better then progress to eating some chicken or pork along with your mashed potatoes and applesauce. Keep adding things like maybe once a week try a new food and keep track of how you react to it. It helped me for a while to keep a written journal to remember which foods I had and if I had a reaction to them. Have you tried going dairy free, a lot of us can't tolerate dairy. Also hot peppermint tea always helps, just make sure it is gluten-free. Hope this helps.

MSFL: Welcome to our Board - we DO encourage freedom of speech and expression and discourage acrid responses that certainly come from those who are choking on their bile due to other external issues. Ignore the bitter ones, they only look to stir up trouble it appears. If they don't agree or like what's being discussed, they should move onto another topic.

If you say your ex-wife is evil, then I believe you, as having had an ex- sister in law who I call Cruella DeVille (evil woman from a Walt Disney movie).

Yes your possessions are only material and can be regained, but your health is the prime issue here. Once you feel better you'll have the strength and fortitude to pick up where you left off in life.

The advice the other posters are giving you (except for one we won't name) should be used. Sounds like you are getting gluten from an unknown source.

How often do you take the belladonna? What tests did they run in hospital? Endoscopy to check what the small intestine looks like?

Are you avoiding things that might have acid or irritating side effects? Like tomatoes, citrus, alcoholic beverages, hard to digest vegetables, or are you eating a lot of meals in restaurants or fast food?

Take care of yourself and try not to worry - keep positive - keep Peace.

D.

Hi MSFL,Celiachap, I can't believe how disappointed I am in your responses to this gentleman. Perhaps he didn't sound "business like" the first few times because of brain fog (which, by the way, I am suffering from right now after getting glutened for the first time in a VERY long time a couple of days ago, but that's another story). My point is, I am having difficulty putting sentences together right now and have to go back and double check because I feel like there are 50 roasted marshmallows that have taken the place of my brain. Another thing that you might consider is a English as a second language issue..... Sorry to burst your bubble, but not everyone can sound like Wall Street big wigs when they are typing, last time I checked, they didn't have any "accent" smilies on forums to give us hints that it is a language barrier that maybe is making him sound "not business-like"......Celiachap, are you sure you are not a re-incarnation of someone who was on here, oh, geez, maybe a year or so ago? You sure do sound just like him. Me thinks perhaps you have "re-invented" yourself? Could it be because he wasn't welcome here anymore? Jeez, I wonder why......That's it, I have absolutely used up every ounce of energy on this post, gotta go before I do a face-plant into the desk.......Karen/quote]

If you think that people using phrases like "What have you got up your....", cursing at me, insulting my upbringing and parents, are acceptable behaviors, then YOU are part of the problem as well. I think that there should be a few "warnings" handed out by the administrators of this board - and some of the people should be disciplined, up to and including being banned if non-compliance is evident - and that should go for the mods, also.

I am in the process of proposing a Men Only forum, where adult men can discuss their concerns. I have not read the book Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus, but it's obvious that there is a problem here.

The nastiness, and "ganging up", that I have experienced here is not acceptable, and hopefully we can have a Men's forum.

I have already reported to Scott that I think numerous responses in this thread are inappropriate.

I saw your thread proposing a Men's only forum. I'm not sure how it would work though. When we women have "women issues", we post our problem and put "women only" in the thread title. That in no way makes it confidential though. Men would be able to do the same thing, but it would still be a "public read", KWIM?

The "ganging up" you mention, I believe, has nothing to do with you being male and being "ganged up" upon by us females. I don't think I have ever seen anyone "ganging up" on Michael from UK, or lovegrov, or celiac3270, or any other male who positively contributes to this forum. But when anyone, male or female, sees a poster being criticized or attacked unduly, well, of course people are going to come to their defence.

Have a wonderful day, I am going now to try to get the remaining gluten out of my system (I am down to only 20 roasted marshmallows in my brain this morning).....

Karen

All

First time here and im trying to find a solution to my problems. I was diagnosed with Celiacs 2 years ago and the doctor gave me Acid folic and a med called belladonna.

6 months ago i got divorced and my belly started to act up. now i have lost the house, car all my assets and my job , health insurance and so on due to an evil ex wife. It feels like the celiacs has become so much worse to the point where i have lost over 80 lbs and now eat one banana a day.

I have been to the ER and they told me everything was in my head so i did not get any help. Have been there 2 times and the same story.

What can i do to settle down the stomach ? Anytips.. I cant visit my Dr because of the insurance so the only way is to try to do it with out the healthcare.

Oh i forgot.. im starting to have a hard time keeping stuff down and nasuated most of the days. diareea and pain out of this world... Its from the stomach where i always have problems when i eat gluten.

I know all my problems otherwise will be ok... but this is freaking me out...

Hi

I am apalled at the rudeness I have seen hurled at you. This is the first time I have seen this on here. My boyfriend is a legal alien from Japan, and he has to deal with all kinds of bs. from the U.S. Everything is difficult for him. He can't even go to Canada to visit relatives with me for fear he'll be sent to Japan to get his passport stamped, and then not be able to come back. It almost happened a couple years ago and it did happen to his friend. I sympathize. Please look into changing your toiletries. Some suggestions- Shakai shampoo and cond. Toms of maine toothpaste and soap. Good Luck.

Guest BERNESES

Regardless of what ANYONE thinks about anyone else's personal life, postings, nationality, marital status, whatever, it doesn't belong here. This is the place to discuss CELIAC"S. You can question anyone's motives you want and if they turn out to be a spammer, then so be it. If you don't like what they're saying, then don't respond. Yes- there is an Ignore USER under your profile. I have used it before to avoid unproductive discussions.

Celiacchap- all I'm going to say is, I'm bummed. You've responded to several of my posts and i've always enjoyed your responses. That's all I'm saying.

MSFL- let us know what we can do to help you. There are a lot of intelligent, supportive people here and we will do what we can to assist you. You are from Sweden? My husband is Swedish and his relatives who visit are very aware of Celiac's (it's common in Northern European ancestry). You have received some good starting advice here. Start slow. Eat a banana, some rice, drink some tea. Eat very, very basic for awile nd gradually start to add things back in. Like chicken, cooked vegetables (steamed). Keep your spices very basic (salt and pepper). Leave out dairy and rest as much as you can. Keep us posted.

Guest BERNESES

MSFL- I freaked out when I saw jmunchkin's post about Nexium (which you said they gave to you in the ER. I called the company because i take it too and it is certified gluten-free. Jillian- No worries. It was actually good because I haven't called a company in awhile to verify and it reminded me that I need to do that more often!

Also, MSFL what you said about things coming out of you the way they went in- like undigested- it sounds to me like on top of Celiac's you may have a bowel dirorder like Crohn's or colitis. My sister's friend has Crohn's and she would literally have everything come out the way it went in. You NEED to be seen by a doctor. I think you said you live in Miami- i tried to scroll back throught the posts but couldn't find it. If you live in a major metropolitan area there should be a hospital that cannot refuse you assistance due to lack of insurance (I know where i am Boston City Hospital is one). Try to find out where you can go. You could even contact a local church to see if they can assist you. If you are losing that much weight, keep going back until someone takes you seriously.

From the weight loss and symptoms you've described, I think you need to be under the care of a doctor. Hospitals can't turn people who are as sick as you away because of inability to pay. Were both ER trips to the same hospital? If so, maybe you need to try a different hospital and a different set of doctors. Telling a celiac it's "all in their head" is ignorant. I also can't believe the diagnosing doctor gave you nothing but folic acid and Donnatal.

It's been my experience when you go to the ER, if you're breathing and not bleeding profusely, you're not top priority. Rather than going back to the ER, why don't you visit with a patient advocate at the hospital? Every hospital of any size is going to have a social worker or someone who can look at your situation and review your options. At my local hospital, for instance, they provide the following information on their Web site:

http://www.baptist-health.com/about/charity/default.asp

I strongly urge you to talk to someone at your hospital. If you don't get some help, try another hospital.

MSFL- I freaked out when I saw jmunchkin's post about Nexium (which you said they gave to you in the ER. I called the company because i take it too and it is certified gluten-free. Jillian- No worries. It was actually good because I haven't called a company in awhile to verify and it reminded me that I need to do that more often!

Sorry about that. That's why I wrote I think it's not. I had read that it's not but never called to confim. I kinda assumed it wasn't because when I had been given it pre-dx I noticed it never made me feel any better and sometimes worse so I assumed it could be true. Sorry if I freaked anyone out.

Yeah, If there is something else going on like Crohn's disease, then you need to be on something like prednisone, until you are feeling better. I can't believe the hospital is turning you away. Make sure you aren't going to a private hospital or whatever. Sorry you are having such a hard time.

Monica

Guest nini

ummmmm wow...

well, welcome to the board, you've already gotten some good advice... I know when my system gets hyper reactive I have to take my diet down to the bare minimum of bananas, applesauce, plain rice and plain baked chicken... I couldn't do any citrus fruits or salads for a while because my system was soooo damaged everything went right through me.

so my advice is, eat, but keep it simple. low acidity, low fiber for now, avoid dairy and fried anything till you are healed.

Guest MSFL

All

thanks for you answers. I will try to answer some of your questions so you can give me more information.

I use items i buy at the health store. Barley and oat free and so on. I know the items to stay away from but was never informed about the other items as you mention such as deo, schampoo.

I use normal schampoo... head and shoulders i think since my skin has been acting up and becoming dry and flaky dont know if that has to with anything or if its just the little cooler weather in Tampa now.

Another problem is the never ending joint pain.

Currently im still eating banana and drinking some water. If i try some other food fast becomes very nasuated and throwing up and cramps in the stomach thats very hard to withstand.

I will try to go to the hospital tonight. My friend tells me i must have lost more weight, my face has become thiner and my eyes are red. so i need to go in.

Thanks for all your answers

MSFL -

Please keep us up-to-date on how you are doing. I hope that this trip to the hospital is taken seriously and that you are able to get some help.

Cindy

This guy has to get it together, if he wants to be an American. I live, and work, among 153 nationalities, and over 120 languages are spoken in New York. Maybe I sound "rude" to you, but in the "real" world, that I know, things are not like a pretty-perfect picture. You'll notice that his last posting is more business-like, and believable, already. This is because I pushed it - that's the way to get action. Everybody sitting around "hand-holding" does nothing.

Hi MSFL,

first I welcome you here onto the board. I'm not an American either and feel for you. I am a German citizen. I just imagined being in this situation and imagined my husband would leave me (which I hope he never does). I think I would be as good as dead.

You maybe already read it on here, but celiac disease can be triggered (or worsened) by stress or an operation (which for sure is also quite a bunch of stress). And you sure had (or still have) quite a lot of stress with your ex-wife and all that other stuff. That's why I also think, in that case, it should be discussed here, cause in THAT case it kind of belongs to the celiac subject. The other thing, that might be interesting is, that I myself had also still pain here and there after one and a half years being glutenfree now. And a couple of days ago I finally tried my suggestion and cut out dairy of my diet. And I'm completely pain free. Since I couldn't live without dairy, I bought some lactose intolerance tabs, which worked, but I will post some questions later to this on another thread. Now back to the pain. The pain that I still had, was a very sharp stabbing pain in my belly about one hand underneath the stomache and it's completely gone now. First I thought, it's from the gluten, but obviously it was from the dairy... By the way, my food came out undigested to first, and I did not have Crohn's.

Now to celiachap's comment (which ticked me off a little). To live and to work here (and to get it together in your words), you do not have to be an American. In fact a lot of succesful people working (and having a business over here) are non-Americans... And what I say (write) now, people (especially you other American friends here on the board), please don't take this personal. Celiachap, with what you're saying, you come across really cocky. I already meat a couple of Americans who obviously think, that Americans are the best nation ever. Again this is NOT ALL Americans, please don't take offense. I'm just telling you my experience... You think you're reality is the one that counts. Why? Is your reality more real, than a poor kid, that starves in Africa? Is your reality more real, that a woman in India, that loses all her family, because of (ah heck, brain fog, what's this whaterthingy called, that happened to them? Whatever...). Or more real, than a high-speed-train crash, like that one, that happened in my home country Germany a couple of years ago. You do it real right, because you help people in Irak? Yeah??? Well, let me tell ya something. Not the entire world thinks like you. In fact most are against your way of thinking.

And you know what? In two years I get offered the test and the American citizenship. And you know, what's the only reason for me to take it? Not because I'm proud of it, or because I'm convinced of some ways of how Americans live. The only reason, and please don't throw me out of this board for this one, is, that I can qualify and participate at another world championships for the American National Kickboxing Team. I wouldn't take the citizenship, if there's another way around this for me. But kickboxing is my life. It's the sport I found for myself, the one and only. I could care less about being American and I only came over here, because I love my husband and not this country. And after these two years, that seam like endless eternity (because I can't participate in what I love so much), are over and I get my citizenship and there are some people, that think they have to be nice to me and congratulate me for the citizenship (or god forbid throw a party for me). Then these people will be the first ones, that have a round with me, even before I have the chance to fight in another world championship. I once told my husband, I'll never be an American and now I have to be, if I want to do what I love. But in my heart I will always be german. They can't make me put my hand on my heart, when I hear the American hym. Because it's not my hym, it's not what I'm standing for. Sure, the germans are not perfect, we had a lot of dirt in our past (like Hitler and all that crap) that wasn't nice either, but so does every country, but I will only be an American on paper, never with heart and that's what counts in my opinion... BTW, Hitler wasn't German, he was Austrian. Anyways...

So you pushed it, that's the way to get action, hugh? Tell that the families who's father hung himselve, because somebody pushed him over the edge and he didn't find a way out. Or the kid that shot his teacher, because he was desperate. They maybe would have needed some handholding or counseling, but instead, they got pushed. You can't always push it. This comes out of the mouth of a sometimes pushing fighter ;) and this experienced fighter can tell you, that pushing doesn't always work.