• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

marciab

Gluten Free / Allergen Free Meal Replacement

Rate this topic

I am so bummed. I just discovered that two of my meal replacements were either not gluten free or allergen free. THe Vegan Complete by Pure Advantage has oat bran and the Rice Ultra Meal by Metagenics is prepared in a facility that produces other products that contain soy, dairy, etc.

The other one I have been using is The Supreme Meal by Peaceful Planet and I will have to call them cause I can't see anything obvious on the label, but it doesn't say it is gluten free / allergen free.

I thought I was safe getting meal replacements made with rice protein, peas, quinoa, millet, etc. but evidently not. Does anyone know of any good gluten free / allergen free meal replacements ? Or if there is such a thing as a gluten free / allergen free vitamin ?

I was counting on the meal replacements to fill me up too. Bummer !!!!!!!!!

I would try Vega meal replacement at www.myvega.com. It is gluten and allergen free. My favorite flavor is original. You can also get bars. Yum!

You can also find it at any organic market or health food store.

I thought I was safe getting meal replacements made with rice protein, peas, quinoa, millet, etc. but evidently not. Does anyone know of any good gluten free / allergen free meal replacements ? Or if there is such a thing as a gluten free / allergen free vitamin ?

I was counting on the meal replacements to fill me up too. Bummer !!!!!!!!!

Rainbow Light makes a number of allergen free vitamins (including multis), that I've always done well with.

Meal replacements, however, aren't going to give you the range of phytonutrients and macronutrients that real foods will.

I would try Vega meal replacement at www.myvega.com. It is gluten and allergen free. My favorite flavor is original. You can also get bars. Yum!

You can also find it at any organic market or health food store.

The VEGA bars have wheat grass in them so if you are sensitive be careful.

Thanks folks. I will look today for the Vega.

I have another question ... I called the people at Pure Advantage and asked about the Vegan Complete. THe guy there told me that even though the label says it contains oat bran that it isn't enough for it to even be considered containing gluten and that he was going to start marketing it as "gluten free". Is he right ? How much gluten does it take to have a reaction? The Vegan Complete makes me completely hyper. So does oatmeal. He said it was probably because of all the vitamins in it. It is loaded with vitamins, but how can he be so sure it isn't the oat bran ?

On the other hand, I called the people at Peaceful Planet, my other meal replacement and they told me to take the Supreme Meal back to my health food store and the would replace it for me for free. That one says it is made from soy free protein, but has soy lecithin in it. And I can't tolerate soy.

What an education I am getting ... Thanks for reminding me to read the labels ....

I haven't been able to tolerate any vitamins or even capsules in ages, so I am using these for additional nutrients. I'm eating healthy, vegan now because I can't digest meats. I'm just wanting to make sure I am doing all that I can. marcia

I actually believe that wheatgrass is gluten free. Wheatgrass is sprouts of wheat berries or grains. The protein element of the grain (gluten) is converted into amino acids during sprouting, hence wheatgrass is a super food. Sequel (who makes Vega) is also a very reputable company with high standard testing. I trust that Vega products do not contain gluten.

Has anyone had an experience that contradicts this?

While the wheat is converted during sprouting, there is still a chance that the entire amount isn't converted - if the grass is "harvested" before complete sprouting is finished, etc. The amounts would be minute, but could add up. It's the whole processing thing too - the wheat grass may be processed in the same facility and lines ets. as whole wheat. I try to stay away from wheat grass because of that.

There's a place on line called protein factory (http://www.proteinfactory.com) that let's you "mix your own" meal replacement. They have a number of premade formulas, and you pick what flavoring, sweetners, vitamins, etc. to add. Or you can start from scratch and mix your own replacement - so much protein, so much carbs, fat, etc. They are pricier than the premade stuff you can buy in the grocery, but not too bad, and this way you know exactly what you are getting.

Debbie

Hi again. My health food store did not have Vega, so yesterday I got a Hemp and sprouted Flax protein powder and some Buried Treasure liquid vitamins. I had the powder this morning and so far so good. They told me that the hemp wouldn't make me high, but I still have to research this one. (Not that I couldn't use a little mellow time). thanks for your help marcia

Hi again. My health food store did not have Vega, so yesterday I got a Hemp and sprouted Flax protein powder and some Buried Treasure liquid vitamins. I had the powder this morning and so far so good. They told me that the hemp wouldn't make me high, but I still have to research this one. (Not that I couldn't use a little mellow time). thanks for your help marcia

Hey Marcia,

I have read that Buried Treasure liquid vitamins start absorping in the body within 45 seconds. That's totally amazing. So looked for a good source & I found them on sale at www.LiquidVitaminShoppe.com Hope you are having as good of results using them as I have.

:)