This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Latest Blood Test: “results Do Not Support A Diagnosis Of Celiac Disease.”

celiachap

celiachap Apprentice

I received my Jan. 9 2006 blood test results back:

Anti-Gliadin IgA ELISA (AGA IgA) 1.0 U/ml Reference Range: <5. U/ml

Anti-Gliadin IgG ELISA (AGA IgG) 2.5 U/ml Reference Range: <10 U/ml

Anti-Human Tissue Transglutaminase IgA ELISA (TTG IgA) 2.3 Unit

Anti-Endomysial IgA IFA (EMA IgA) Negative (reference range is “negative”)

Total Serum IgA by Nephelometry (TOTAL IgA) 170 mg/dl (13 years to adult 44-441 mg/dl)

These tests, and many more, were processed by PROMETHEUS Therapeutics & Diagnostics

My original blood test, from Jan. 2005, prior to diagnosis, at a different clinic and lab:

Gliadin AB (IGA) 63 - High Out of Range

Gliadin AB (IGG) 34 High Out of Range

Reference range for Gliadin Antibody, IgA or IgG:

Negative: <20

Weak Positive: 20-30

Strong Positive: >30

These tests were processed by Bayer Labs

There were many other tests performed from the blood samples last week, and they were all very good - except for an excess of B12, due to my taking sublingual supplements every day - but that is easily remedied and not dangerous anyway.

The doctor asked if I've been getting B12 injections!

The 2006 summary interpretation: “Results do not support a diagnosis of celiac disease.”

and, "Serological markers for celiac disease were not detected.

Celiac Disease very unlikely if patient is on a gluten-containing diet and is lgA sufficient: does not preclude development of the disease in the future. HLA typing may be helpful in young children and those on a gluten-free diet".

I will have the results of my Bone Density test, which I took today, in about a week.

My first “celiac” endoscope was taken in Feb. 2005, and showed flattening of the vlli, and "inflammation".

I had one taken today - the results, along with the biopsy, will be available in a week. The doctor would not comment until the biopsy comes back, but there is likely a major improvement.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

so I'm confused... You previously were tested with positive results and have been gluten free ever since, with positive bloodwork and biopsy... So why the new tests? Was this just to confirm compliance with the gluten free diet and to see if you are healing? Because you do know that if you are gluten free the tests are going to be negative for celiac... Please clarify for me because I'm just confused why you had the tests run again. Also please tell me you are not doubting your original dx based on these current test results.

celiachap Apprentice
so I'm confused... You previously were tested with positive results and have been gluten free ever since, with positive bloodwork and biopsy... So why the new tests? Was this just to confirm compliance with the gluten free diet and to see if you are healing? Because you do know that if you are gluten free the tests are going to be negative for celiac... Please clarify for me because I'm just confused why you had the tests run again. Also please tell me you are not doubting your original dx based on these current test results.

No matter how well you think your are doing, it's nice to get confirmation that the villi have healed and, after almost a year of revamping and reorganizing your diet, it's wonderful to feel healthy and have a life and a future ahead of you. When they gave me the blood results in the hospital today, I was in the recovery room after the endoscopy - and I almost ripped the tubes out because I was so happy!

It's like finishing the marathon, and there were also across-the-board improvements in my other "problem" areas, including the Iron Panel results of ferritin and iron.

All in all, it was a great day.

Guest nini

oh okay :D good to know! Glad you had a good day then!

Becky6 Enthusiast

Thats great!

celiachap Apprentice

Thank you all so much!

I really didn't expect, after only 10 months on the diet, to have the blood test numbers go down so much that the lab would say that I do not have Celiac, because I REALLY had a bad case of it for the past 5 years (and to a lesser degree all my life). I am still not healed "in my head", but the light of reason occasionally tells me that, "It's over". I don't EVER want to get glutened again, and am capable of taking any measures necessary to guarantee that I do not. But, since life offers no guarantees (other than paying taxes and death, lol), in the event that a glutening happens, I'll be that much better prepared to cope with, and survive, it.

Archived