• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Bridget Meier

New Poster/possible Celiac Daughter

Rate this topic

Hey guys,

New member! 10 y/o daughter being tested for celiac. We've tried gluten free foods before and my daughters response "YECH!".

So being pro active, anticipating a positive test result, having tried this before, can anyone help me with the following:

1- If she is celiac, I need a WOW! this is good recipe, so she doesn't freak. Especially a PIZZA recipe that will catch her, as pizza is her FAVORITE FOOD! I need a pizze crust that is REALLY CLOSE.

2- I have notice that gluten free foods (some of the recipes anyway) are high in sugar. We have been fighting yeast, and high sugar/sweet foods cause a yeast reaction. So, trying to figure this out, when you go gluten-free, does this mean she has less trouble with the yeast?

Thanks for any information

Bridget

Well, I can relate with the yeast and sugar issues. Boy, it is SOOOOOOOOOOO important to get it under control ASAP. I keep wishing I had known then what I know now. I discovered the yeast thing long before the gluten was on my radar.

But, two things got me over the yeast foods really quicky:

1) Feeling better for the first time in my life. Having a new-found sense of what it feels like to be healthy (or at least healthier than I ever had been).

2) Will-power. You need to be commited. I did not like the idea that the toxins present in breads and such (because of the yeast) had a grip on me. The first few weeks were the most difficult. Cravings were quite strong. But kept in mind that nothing was going to control me like that. It IS an addiction for many people.

The improvement in health gave me even more will to continue. I knew I would never touch the stuff again. It was not long before I didn't even care if I couldn't have it. Once I tried a "regular" hamberger bun, just to see what would happen, mostly to reconfirm to myself that it was not "all in my head", as members of my own family actually accused. Yeah, you guessed it - I got sick on it.

Anyway, have you tried Tinkyada pasta? I and many here think it's really great. Personnaly, I believe it is in some ways better than wheat pasta. For one thing, it doesn't go from being just right to mushy in only a few minutes. It actually holds up quite well. The texture and taste is very nice - similar to some of the highest quality duram semolina pastas I've tried. It does cook a little different, so you may want to practice with it a bit before you try it out on your daughter. Like they say, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

What about rice dishes? Not every meal revolves around wheat, or finding a substitute for it. Don't forget about potatoes. Every kid likes french fries, right?

Hope your daughter gets better soon. There's no better time than RIGHT NOW to start the healing. She's only 10. You are paying for the food.

Chebe bread is gluten free yeast free. I would probably introduce it like a cheese bread stick dipped into pizza sauce. It takes a while for to get over the wheat craving.

Laura

Guest nini

for me there are several options for the "knock your socks off, wow this is good" pizza...

Whole Foods Gluten Free Bakehouse gluten-free Pizza Crust, top it anyway you like, my personal fave.

Chebe Bread (without adding the cheese to the recipe) and baking it first before adding toppings) my second fave.

Amy's Rice Crust gluten-free Pizza, with added mozzerella cheese and toppings, my 5 year old's fave.

I've found with all of them I have to add garlic and italian seasonings to them.

for sauce my personal fave is to just use Hunt's tomato paste and then add garlic salt, and italian seasonings to top it. Lots of mozzerella cheese and Hormel pepperoni, or any fresh sliced veggie that she may like on a pizza.

We love Pamela's Ultra Chocolate Brownie mix, I make it for guests and they don't realize it's gluten-free. I follow the recipe on bag for cake and make birthday cakes with it and have served it to her classmates and teachers at preschool and pre k and NO ONE knew it was gluten free. They just assumed I was letting her have gluten for her birthday! NOT!

for me there are several options for the "knock your socks off, wow this is good" pizza...

Whole Foods Gluten Free Bakehouse gluten-free Pizza Crust, top it anyway you like, my personal fave.

That is amazing! It is the best gluten free crust I have tried.

-Jackie :)