• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

jerseyangel

Food Intolerance Testing

Rate this topic

Hi everybody--I have an appt. on Friday with my GP. I saw my Gastro. last week, but he brushed off the questions I had for him on this subject. As far as he was concerned, the only thing I have to be dilligent about is gluten. So, my question is--is there a particular test I should ask for or should I suggest an independent lab? I have read many posts about this, and know that there are several ways to go about this. I'm going crazy trying to figure it out myself. If you had it to do over, or if you have any opinions on the best way to test for additional food intolerances, please share them with me. Thanks :)

If I had to do it all over again, I'd save my money. I'm working with a dietician and she even said to me "save your money, do an elmination diet and see what foods you react to... it's just a piece of paper". Well, of course, I HAD to know what was wrong with me - surely this magical piece of paper could tell me, right? It came back that I'm every so slightly sensitive to egg yolk, casein, cheese, milk, peanuts and lima beans. That's it! Nothing about gluten at all (blood tests also negative; although I'm having positive diet respone), and I am dairy free right now - but not because of the tests, because my body says "no".

So I suppose if there was something "guaranteed" I'd do it again... but I've learned that nothing is guarnateed is it??? :P

If you want the intolerance test, you need IgG testing. Your doc may or may not do that. I used Great Plains Labs for mine. They will do IgE or IgG, or both. Can give more info if you want.

Hi Jen,

Can you send me some information on IgG testing, I just went through IgE testing and I'm allergic to more foods then you can imagine, the doctor said he has never seen anything like my allergy tests. I'm right now trying a rotation diet to see what I react to but I'd love to try something else and see if I get similar results.

Thanks, Susan

Hey Jersey, I didn't even know I had a problem with gluten until I had an Lame Advertisement test done. I had some bad acid reflux, so I contacted an independent lab. The total for my panels (I got several) was 400.00. They show "intolerence" problems. But when mine came back with gluten and gliadin, I started doing some research. I found out about Celiac, and then pushed my doc for those tests (IgG, IgA, Ttg, EMA) and the rest is history. The other foods that came up on my list were Cantaloupe, Cauliflower, Sweet Potato, Brussel Sprouts, Peach, Halibut, Sardine, and Stringbean. I avoid those foods now and have NO acid reflux when I do not eat them!!!!!! They also put together all of this info and lists and stuff for you. I am SOOOO glad that I had this test done! You can check it out on Lame Advertisement.com .I hope that you find something that works for you like this has worked for me. I was also told to try the elimination diet, but I didn't want to wait and wonder if I was getting sick from something that I ate or one of the other many reasons that we get sick. My food symptoms are so different from food to food, so an elimination diet was a little too hard for me. I avoid these foods and everything is good!

Thanks so much, Tiffany, Stronger Today and Jen--I see the Dr. this AM. I'm going to discuss this with her and depending on what she offers, I will be looking into the other options you have suggested. I have taken notes, and appreciate you all responding!

If I could do it over again I'd save my money, too. It cost me $300 and an elimination diet is just as easy. Most people are just allergic to the main allergens, anyway, like soy, corn, peanuts, wheat, yeast, dairy. You can eliminate those and save your money!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• April 17, 2019 Until April 27, 2019
      April 17-27, 2020   For the past few years many of you have asked us to arrange a River Boat Cruise that will allow us to visit Amsterdam's famous Keukenhof Gardens at its prime time of the blossoming of the millions of Tulips and Hyacinths - alongside the windmills of the Netherlands.  With the participation of a minimum of 20 persons we have arranged an All-Inclusive Cruise from Antwerp to Amsterdam.  This cruise will not be offered to the public until January, 2019 and always sells out quickly.   THERE WILL BE NO MONEY REQUIRED NOR COMMITMENT FROM YOU until we have all the final costs and details.  If you are at all interested check out our website for as many of the details that we have as of this time.   We need your request to be placed on a list of interested participants so we can present that number to Uniworld to show we have the sincere interest in this All-Inclusive Bob & Ruth's Gluten-free Cruise.   PLEASE CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE FOR THE DETAILED INFORMATION THAT WE HAVE AS OF THIS TIME.   http://bobandruths.com
    • April 24, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • May 04, 2019 Until May 05, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com