This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Faqs Fm U Of Maryland Celiac Center

CMCM

CMCM Rising Star

Interesting reading for some of you. I'll post the link, too. There are other things on this site.

Open Original Shared Link

What are the recommended blood tests to diagnose celiac disease?

There is a particular series of blood tests called the ‘Celiac Panel”. These tests measure your immune system’s response to gluten in the food you eat.

tTG-IgA or tissue transglutaminase-IgA

AGA-IgG or Antigliadin IgG

AGA-IgA or Antigliadin IGA

Total IGA

The presence of tTG antibodies is highly suggestive of celiac disease, while AGA can be elevated also in cases of wheat allergy.

How accurate are the celiac blood tests?

The current diagnostic tests for celiac disease are very accurate, particularly when tTG and anti-endomysial antibodies are elevated. The isolated presence of anti-gliadin antibodies does not necessarily imply that the subject is affected by celiac disease, with the exception of children under the age 2 in which tTG and EMA may not be present.

Are the villi permanently damaged in a patient with Celiac Disease and how long does it take for the villi to return to normal?

The villi are not permanently damaged. The intestine is an organ, which renews itself every three days. Therefore, if the damage is exclusively due to celiac disease, the villi will be reformed once on a gluten-free diet. The time for the villa to return to normal varies between individuals.

What is the meaning of HLA DQ2/DQ8?

As an autoimmune disease, celiac disease is the consequence of the interplay between genes and the environment (gluten). We don’t know all the necessary genes to develop celiac disease; however, HLA DQ2 and/or DQ8 are absolutely necessary to develop the disease. Since 1/3 of the general population also have these genes, the presence of DQ2 or DQ8 does not imply that the person will develop celiac disease, rather, that they have a genetic compatibility with celiac disease. Conversely, the absence of DQ2/DQ8 almost certainly rules out celiac disease.

Is it necessary to have an intestinal biopsy to confirm the diagnosis of Celiac Disease?

Currently, the intestinal biopsy is the gold standard for the diagnosis of Celiac Disease, and therefore, is considered essential.

Is it necessary to have an intestinal biopsy to confirm the diagnosis of Dermatitis Herpetiformis (DH)

A skin biopsy is sufficient to confirm the diagnosis of DH. DH is the skin manifestation of celiac disease.

If a diabetic goes on a gluten-free diet, will their diabetes improve?

Not necessarily. The current literature suggests that once you develop diabetes, the course of the disease will not be changed by a gluten-free diet. However, there are some reports suggesting that a gluten-free diet can help to better control serum glucose levels.

Can a person with Celiac Disease on gluten-free diet give blood?

Yes, a person with Celiac Disease can donate blood.

Can a person with Celiac Disease drink wine?

Yes, wine is made from grapes. Conversely, beer is made from grains and cannot be consumed by a Celiac.

Can I outgrow Celiac Disease?

If you are a biopsy proven Celiac, you will not outgrow the disease since Celiac Disease is now considered to be an autoimmune disorder like diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.

Do I need to repeat the biopsy once on a gluten-free diet?

If you are diagnosed based on positive serology and biopsy, and your symptoms improve once on a gluten-free diet, you do not need a follow-up biopsy.

Is Celiac Disease a food allergy?

No, Celiac Disease is not a food allergy; rather it is an autoimmune disease. Food allergies, including wheat allergy, are conditions that people can grow out of. This is not the case with Celiac Disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Interesting reading for some of you. I'll post the link, too. There are other things on this site.

Open Original Shared Link

What are the recommended blood tests to diagnose celiac disease?

There is a particular series of blood tests called the ‘Celiac Panel”. These tests measure your immune system’s response to gluten in the food you eat.

tTG-IgA or tissue transglutaminase-IgA

AGA-IgG or Antigliadin IgG

AGA-IgA or Antigliadin IGA

Total IGA

The presence of tTG antibodies is highly suggestive of celiac disease, while AGA can be elevated also in cases of wheat allergy.

How accurate are the celiac blood tests?

The current diagnostic tests for celiac disease are very accurate, particularly when tTG and anti-endomysial antibodies are elevated. The isolated presence of anti-gliadin antibodies does not necessarily imply that the subject is affected by celiac disease, with the exception of children under the age 2 in which tTG and EMA may not be present.

Are the villi permanently damaged in a patient with Celiac Disease and how long does it take for the villi to return to normal?

The villi are not permanently damaged. The intestine is an organ, which renews itself every three days. Therefore, if the damage is exclusively due to celiac disease, the villi will be reformed once on a gluten-free diet. The time for the villa to return to normal varies between individuals.

What is the meaning of HLA DQ2/DQ8?

As an autoimmune disease, celiac disease is the consequence of the interplay between genes and the environment (gluten). We don’t know all the necessary genes to develop celiac disease; however, HLA DQ2 and/or DQ8 are absolutely necessary to develop the disease. Since 1/3 of the general population also have these genes, the presence of DQ2 or DQ8 does not imply that the person will develop celiac disease, rather, that they have a genetic compatibility with celiac disease. Conversely, the absence of DQ2/DQ8 almost certainly rules out celiac disease.

Is it necessary to have an intestinal biopsy to confirm the diagnosis of Celiac Disease?

Currently, the intestinal biopsy is the gold standard for the diagnosis of Celiac Disease, and therefore, is considered essential.

Is it necessary to have an intestinal biopsy to confirm the diagnosis of Dermatitis Herpetiformis (DH)

A skin biopsy is sufficient to confirm the diagnosis of DH. DH is the skin manifestation of celiac disease.

If a diabetic goes on a gluten-free diet, will their diabetes improve?

Not necessarily. The current literature suggests that once you develop diabetes, the course of the disease will not be changed by a gluten-free diet. However, there are some reports suggesting that a gluten-free diet can help to better control serum glucose levels.

Can a person with Celiac Disease on gluten-free diet give blood?

Yes, a person with Celiac Disease can donate blood.

Can a person with Celiac Disease drink wine?

Yes, wine is made from grapes. Conversely, beer is made from grains and cannot be consumed by a Celiac.

Can I outgrow Celiac Disease?

If you are a biopsy proven Celiac, you will not outgrow the disease since Celiac Disease is now considered to be an autoimmune disorder like diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.

Do I need to repeat the biopsy once on a gluten-free diet?

If you are diagnosed based on positive serology and biopsy, and your symptoms improve once on a gluten-free diet, you do not need a follow-up biopsy.

Is Celiac Disease a food allergy?

No, Celiac Disease is not a food allergy; rather it is an autoimmune disease. Food allergies, including wheat allergy, are conditions that people can grow out of. This is not the case with Celiac Disease.

Great site although I may need another cup of coffee, I read the q in faq as a g and was really wondering why the U of M has a celiac site for those with an alternative lifestyle. Well I have had my early morning your an idiot moment for today!

teebs in WV Apprentice

I am so glad that I am not the only one that thought that! When I first saw it I thought "uh-oh, here we go again!"

Seriously, thanks for the info. Lots of detailed info!

Archived