• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

jkmunchkin

Whole Foods gluten-free Bakehouse Carrot Cake

Rate this topic

I've had this a few times now but I'm sitting here have a piece of the Whole Foods Bakehouse gluten-free Carrot Cake with Duncan Hines Cream Cheese frosting on top and I just wanted to share how awesome this is. If you ever where a carrot cake fan you have to try this. You would never know it's gluten-free!

Sounds yummy! Thanks for the tip! Have you tried anything else from the WF Gluten-free BakeHouse?

I like the corn bread -- tastes completely "normal" to me and it has allowed me to return to my "salad and a piece of bread" lunch routine. I didn't care for the pecan pie -- the crust was fine, but the filling was just not to my liking, and I am a big pecan pie fan. I also tried the prairie bread, which was fine, but didn't surpass other gluten-free bread I've had.

I'm curious about those biscuits and the pizza crust.

Enjoy your treat!

The banana bread is awesome, I also liked the scones and the cornbread. The cherry pie is good but if you're really picky you may not like it....I thought it was good though. :)

The pizzacrust is great!

I also love the sundried tomato and garlic bread, it actually rose like real bread and was not dense moon brick bread... when I frist tried it, I ate almost two loaves in a week!

I just want to add however, that I'm disappointed that they decided to use soy flour, after all, almost half of the people who can't have wheat can't have soy... why use it if only half of your already small potential customer base will use it?????

The carrot cake is amazing-- my parents buy it for my grandma (who lives with them and they suspect has celiac disease) and i love visiting my parents now b/c i eat a whole loaf every time i go (even if im only there for an hour :P )

The banana bread is really good too- they buy that one too. My roommate just bought me the brownies, which i thought were good but not great-- my roommate (non-celiac) loved them and said they were just as good as any other brownies, so i thought maybe i just wasnt a brownie person anymore-- used to have an unsatiable sweet tooth but i think my taste buds have changed since going gluten-free...

In any event, the carrot cake is still a must...microwave for 5 seconds and put some butter on it- MMMMMM

I enjoy several of their products--the pizza crust, cinnamon rasin bread, sandwich bread. I agree about their use of soy flour--I would like to be able to try more of their things, but I stay away from the ones with the soy flour.

Oh yeah I tried the banana bread also awhile ago which I agree is also awesome. I tried the Praire bread and apparently other peoples reactions to it where not as bad as mine because I thought it was the worst thing I've ever tasted. Before they started limiting their products I had tried a chocolate raspberry loaf that was amazing!! But sadly it seems to be one of the products they have "temporarily" discontinued. I've heard the biscuits are good and was tempted to buy them the other day but they didn't look as good as everyone keeps saying they are so I held off.

I posted about a week ago about a soup I had from Whole Foods seafood section that was also incredible. It's not labeled as gluten-free because it's with the premade soups, or in the seafood section (as mine was) but it's a shrimp bisque (or chowder). If you like lobster bisque type soups this was incredible. Thinking of going to Whole Foods at lunch and getting some :D

Guest LauraLatham
I've had this a few times now but I'm sitting here have a piece of the Whole Foods Bakehouse gluten-free Carrot Cake with Duncan Hines Cream Cheese frosting on top and I just wanted to share how awesome this is. If you ever where a carrot cake fan you have to try this. You would never know it's gluten-free!

I was just thinking of buying that cake today! I will next week and some frosting! YUM!!!

thanks for the idea!

Sounds yummy! Thanks for the tip! Have you tried anything else from the WF Gluten-free BakeHouse?

I like the corn bread -- tastes completely "normal" to me and it has allowed me to return to my "salad and a piece of bread" lunch routine. I didn't care for the pecan pie -- the crust was fine, but the filling was just not to my liking, and I am a big pecan pie fan. I also tried the prairie bread, which was fine, but didn't surpass other gluten-free bread I've had.

I'm curious about those biscuits and the pizza crust.

Enjoy your treat!

I'm addicted to the plain Sandwich bread...it's so good I eat it mostly plain!

I love their pizza crusts, even my husband does, and he splits them for dinner with me.

The cookies are so so

my favorite were the almond scones and my local WF seems to not carry them lately.

They have these new cheddar cheese scones I'll a little leery of cause, ew, but maybe they are good.

I will be getting the carrot cake next week after this great suggestion!

I just wish this stuff wasn't so expensive, and kept longer!

Is it true we can take our gluten-free food reciepts off as a tax reduction?

I just wish this stuff wasn't so expensive, and kept longer!

I can't do anything about the expense, but to make it last longer...

I'm the only one in my house who would eat this stuff for the most part (BF eats gluten-free pasta and whatnot, but isn't really into baked goods at all, so has no interest in gluten-free versions). So, I wanted it to stay fresh, and I didn't want to feel pressure to gorge myself on it. What I did was on the first day I got it I thawed it (my Whole Foods keeps these items in the freezer section), cut it into serving sizes, then wrapped each in foil and refroze. So now I just grab one serving at a time and the rest stays frozen. It works for me since it takes a few weeks to get through a package of cornbread, unless I want cornbread with every meal :P

(I do feel bad about using all that foil, but I often re-use it for something else!)

Guest nini

I LOVE the pizza crust, the brownies, the cornbread, the banana bread, and the sandwich bread... I'm not so crazy about the prairie bread, my non gluten-free hubby even likes the biscuits. I served the brownies to company for dessert after dinner and they didn't have a clue they were gluten-free.

I keep mine in the freezer. My WF keeps it in the freezer in the store so I just keep it there at home. Stick it in the fridge if I'm gonna use it right away or frequently.