This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Quick Question.....

danikali

danikali Enthusiast

Well, I just got a diet cherry Pepsi and I was wondering if even flavored soda is gluten free. I couldn't find it anywhere, so before I drink it, I would just like a quick 'okay!'

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular
Well, I just got a diet cherry Pepsi and I was wondering if even flavored soda is gluten free. I couldn't find it anywhere, so before I drink it, I would just like a quick 'okay!'

Thank you!

Hi! This is from delphi:

Coca-Cola Company (www.coke.com) (ve=7/29/04)

Confirms that Coca-Cola classic, caffeine free Coca-Cola classic, Coca-Cola C2, Diet Coke, Diet Coke with Lemon, Diet Coke with Lime, caffeine free Diet Coke, Sprite, Sprite ReMix Berryclear, diet Sprite, vanilla Coke, diet vanilla Coke, cherry Coke, Fresca, and our 100% juice products (without added ingredients) are gluten free. *Additionally, we can tell you that all of our other products meet Codex's definition of gluten-free, which is less than 200 ppm (0.02%) gluten. Codex has examined the data and determined that less than 200 ppm gluten is below the level in which people with celiac disease would experience adverse reactions. However, at this time the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not have a regulatory definition of gluten-free. We can assure you that the exact amount of gluten in these products is very low - perhaps even zero. Some minor ingredients in these products are manufactured from plants that gluten-sensitive people could react to, so we are unable to state categorically that they are totally gluten-free even though they may have undetectable levels of gluten in them. The Codex guideline provides a very low threshold for gluten content and exposures below this level are not expected to result in damage to the majority of gluten-sensitive individuals. However, extremely gluten-sensitive individuals should discuss consumption of these products with their health care provider

That's the typical CYA response that is quite common, I have had no problem with Coke products.....

Karen

danikali Enthusiast

Thanks for the good coke info.....i had one yesterday and had problems! so today im trying the pepsi to see if its different........is pepsi okay??

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

I drink Pepsi all the time and according to my lateset Clan Thompson list it's confirmed as gluten-free as well. :)

Sorry you had problmes with Coke. I hope you feel better soon!

danikali Enthusiast

Thank you! I just need caffine sometimes, and I can't handle any kind of coffee. It really really upsets my stomach......

VydorScope Proficient

There was some debate on Welchs Grape Soda, couple lists show it having gluten, couple dont...some one psted here that wleches calims its gluten-free, so I would use caution with it unless you personaly confirm it. Other then that I have never heard of a soda having gluten in it. Alwys double check your self!

mookie03 Contributor

Welcome back Dani! Hope you had a great trip :)

Just an FYI, i used to drink diet vanilla coke a few years ago but found that it made me really dizzy and nauseous and i had to stop drinking it-- i know that it is gluten-free but sometimes soda (and especially diet) can have weird effects on people...so ur problems with coke may not be gluten related

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I am guessing here, but perhaps the reason it affected you that way would be the aspartame. I have heard that stuff is evil!

Karen

VydorScope Proficient
I am guessing here, but perhaps the reason it affected you that way would be the aspartame. I have heard that stuff is evil!

Karen

Yea could be, all the artifcal sweetners carry some chance of causing GI symptons.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Aspartame does very bad things to me...I would rather eat gluten than have something with aspartame in it.

Becky6 Enthusiast

Welches grape soda IS gluten free! I confirmed it with the company and posted it here!

Guest nini

Welches Grape soda is gluten free... I confirmed it too...

I have had bad reactions to GENERIC soda's so always check with the company when in doubt.

Whole Foods Generic line of soda however, their 365 line, is CLEARLY labeled gluten free! And all natural and yummy

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I wouldn't say all soda because I am sure that there is a kind with gluten. However, the Coke and Pepsi soft drinks are gluten free. I am not a fan of the artificial sweeteners though because they are just plain bad for you.

psawyer Proficient

While I understand that artificial sweetners cause some adverse effects for some people, as a diabetic I know that, for me, sugars, however natural and organic they may be, cause me serious problems with my blood glucose control. So, for me, aspartame is much better than sugar, even though it has risks of its own.

My wife sometimes says that I am sweet enough already without any added sugar ;)

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Does anyone know if Dr. Brown's Black Cherry soda is? I've tried several times to find out, but have never gotten an answer..

Rachel--24 Collaborator
My wife sometimes says that I am sweet enough already without any added sugar ;)

Awww....that is sweet! :)

Arent some root beers not safe?

VydorScope Proficient
Welches grape soda IS gluten free! I confirmed it with the company and posted it here!

Welches Grape soda is gluten free... I confirmed it too...

Thanks I could not remember who it was that said they confimred it, and figured the cautiius answer I gave was best. :)

Soooo then has anyone foind ANY that have gluten in them?

• 2 months later...
JenAnderson Rookie

What about Dr. Pepper and Barq's root beer?

amybeth Enthusiast

Dr. Pepper is gluten-free, and I'm totally addicted to it.

(So are the doctor pepper flavored jelly bellies - yum!)

Archived