This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Melatonin

GlutenFreeAl

rowan108 Newbie
I used to have sleep problems so my dr. suggested melatonin. I tried it and now it's part of my night-time routine. Here are some suggestions:

I take 1mg. each night. It's a perfect dose for me and if there's a night where I really need my sleep, I can take two or three.

I take the sublingual kind (it goes under the tongue). This goes directly into your blood stream and you get the benefits sooner. I can doze-off in 20 minutes or less (when it usually takes me an hour or so without). I think by taking the 3mg orally, it takes longer to get to your blood stream, therefore prolonging the effects.

It doesn't hurt to take this, especially the amount that I take. I get more sleep with it than without, so it's beneficial to my health in the long run.

And could you tell me about which sublingual one is the best - thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rosebud710 Apprentice
And could you tell me about which sublingual one is the best - thanks!

I take Source Naturals. I haven't seen other brands that have a sublingual, but I'm sure there are some out there. I get this from my local health food store and The Vitamin Shoppe.

GFinDC Veteran

I took melatonin during my gluten days for a while. I found that a 1 mg pill would put me to sleep but I would not feel totally awake the next day until afternoon. So what I did was cut the pills in half with a knife, and then cut them again so they were quarters of the original pill. This worked good for me, and I would try to take them 45 minutes to an hours before I went to bed. After reading the Wiki article below, I am not sure I will keep taking it though. The article suggests melatonin increases immune system activity. But it does work well for me to get to sleep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

n individuals with auto-immune disorders, there is concern that melatonin supplementation may exacerbate symptoms due to stimulation of the immune system.

• 1 year later...
gf4life Enthusiast

I have been doing research on Melatonin lately. My concern is the lack of information available about the effects of melatonin on individuals with auto-immune disorders. Sure it says it is not recommended, and that makes me worry about trying it. I have been experiencing a lot of peri-menopausal symptoms lately and sleep problems are a big issue for me. I HAVE to get some good sleep and soon! The brain fog is getting bad due to so little sleep, It isn't just a problem falling a sleep, it is staying a sleep all night.

My concern is not so much with the celiac disease, because I am extremely careful with my diet and my DH and other symptoms are under control. My main concern is that I also have psoriasis and suspected alopecia areata (due to a bald spot since age 12) and I don't want either of those to get worse! My skin and hair are important to me...

So anyone have any other recommendations of natural sleep aids? Benadryl works for me, but makes me drowsy the next day if I don't get more than the recommended 8 hours of rest.

leadmeastray88 Contributor
So anyone have any other recommendations of natural sleep aids? Benadryl works for me, but makes me drowsy the next day if I don't get more than the recommended 8 hours of rest.

This is what I'm also asking for in my thread "Occasional Insomnia", but nobody has replied yet...

ang1e0251 Contributor

I have taken melatonin nightly for many years with good results. I would like to try a time release. I wake up through the night still. In the 80's when I started, I took .5 mg. Now I'm up to 6 mgs. It takes me several years to have to take more.

Recently I have increased my magnesium dosage and found it has a great positive affect on my sleep. I even slept through the night once which I searched my memory and couldn't remember when last that happened. I hear you about the hypoglycemic thing though. Since I have been eating lo-carb I have to have about 1/2 slice of lunchmeat in the morning or my blood sugar gets too low, too fast before I can get to breakfast.

• 9 years later...
KateAlmira Newbie

Hey,

I'm new to these boards. I just took some melatonin. I have Celiac pretty bad. I started to feel sick after i took it... I looked at it has wheat in it. My fault completely for not paying attention to what I was buying. Just had major ankle surgery. Kinda out of it. Lol. I was looking fir something that would help me sleep through my nerve pain im having. What is a good brand? Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

I’m not sure about a gluten free brand, but sorry you ate some gluten? This article may be helpful for that.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
8 hours ago, KateAlmira said:

Hey,

I'm new to these boards. I just took some melatonin. I have Celiac pretty bad. I started to feel sick after i took it... I looked at it has wheat in it. My fault completely for not paying attention to what I was buying. Just had major ankle surgery. Kinda out of it. Lol. I was looking fir something that would help me sleep through my nerve pain im having. What is a good brand? Thank you!

I use https://www.natrol.com/products/melatonin-supplements-for-sleep-liquid/

I got it at walmart and put a dropper or 2 under my tongue. Fastest acting I can find, the company makes it in other forms.

knitty kitty Grand Master

Hello!  I've found that passion flower extract helps me sleep, especially after being glutened because it is also an anti-inflammatory.  It helps one relax and get good deep restorative sleep. Bright-eyed and bushy tailed the next morning!

Here's an article that shows it helps...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21294203

Also vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) and magnesium together, and the amino acid tryptophan and vitamin D together will help with getting restorative sleep.  

I vary which ones I take.  You'll have to try them yourself to see what works best for you.  

Hope this helps!

Posterboy Mentor
On 10/26/2018 at 10:30 PM, KateAlmira said:

Hey,

KateA,

Knitty Kitty has given you good advice and links as she always does.

I would try some Magnesium Citrate 2/day with meals and one hour before bedtime. It really helps me sleep well. 

If you begin dreaming after many years of not remembering your dreams it is working.

Here is the research on Magnesium and Insomnia entitled "The effect of magnesium supplementation on primary insomnia in elderly: A double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial." but you don't have to be elderly for it to help you.  It can help people of all ages.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23853635

Here is a nice article overview on all the ways Magnesium can helps steal of us high quality  sleep when we are low in it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/sleep-newzzz/201805/magnesium-how-it-affects-your-sleep

Be careful with Melatonin because I am prediabetic I am aware of its' effect to raise blood sugar in some people.  If you develop dry mouth suddenly after taking Melatonin or have frequent urination issues it (Melatonin) could be raising your blood sugar unknowninlgy.

Here is an article about it.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/310321.php

good luck I hope you find something that helps you.

This is not medical advice but I hope it is helpful.

2 Timothy 2: 7  “Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things”

Posterboy by the Grace of God,

• 10 months later...
Daphne do Collaborator

Yes which name brand is safe ? Please help 

Ennis-TX Grand Master
3 hours ago, Daphne do said:

Yes which name brand is safe ? Please help 

I use Natrol Melotoin, found it at walmart. Magnesium I use either Doctors Best in the powder ordered from Lucky Vitamin or Amazon...or Natural Vitality Calm which I get on sale at Wholefoods or at walmart in a tiny container when in a pinch.

Daphne do Collaborator
On 9/24/2019 at 4:16 AM, Ennis_TX said:

I use Natrol Melotoin, found it at walmart. Magnesium I use either Doctors Best in the powder ordered from Lucky Vitamin or Amazon...or Natural Vitality Calm which I get on sale at Wholefoods or at walmart in a tiny container when in a pinch.

Thank you ?