This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reactions to So Delicious Ice Cream?

Bronzynski15

Bronzynski15 Newbie

Good Morning,

A few days ago I had some Gluten Free So Delicious brand Ice Cream (second time actually). I had it because I also have a dairy reaction which I just found out I also have. Here we are about 2 days since I ate the Ice Cream and I have not been feeling great. You know the typical gluten exposure symptoms; gas, bloating, diarrhea, etc. I have been feeling great for about 3-4 months (Big Steps!!!) I have been pounding the water to help clear my system. I know So Delicious claims to clean their machinery, but I was wondering if someone else has experienced similar things with this brand. Thanks in advance! I love hearing what to community has to say!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

My lactose intolerance resolved once I healed from celiac disease.  I buy Breyers which is labeled gluten-free on most of their ice creams.  Those are made in a dedicated facility.  No shared lines.  Sometimes piece of mind is priceless.  

Soy intolerances/allergies are common.  Sure it is not soy?  What about one of those gums?  

Some celiacs, like me, tend to be a bit more sensitive.  For others, they are not impacted.  

I am sorry that you are unwell.  Keep in mind that you might have picked up a stomach virus.  Not everything is due to celiac disease.  

Scott Adams Grand Master

I do know that So Delicious claims to be gluten-free, but many ice creams, unfortunately, also use binders such as xanthan gum or guar gum, which can also produce reactions in some people. Do you recall any of the ingredients?

• 2 months later...
PhoebeGoodwin Newbie

I also just tried a So Delicious gluten free ice cream and had a reaction. Upon further inspection of the label, it says, "Produced in a facility that also processes wheat." Unfortunately, I don't think it's a safe brand for me, because I am highly gluten sensitive.

Gemini Experienced

Isn’t the So Delicious brand made with coconut milk?  I remember trying that at one time and it is gluten free but coconut milk is very high in fat.  It may be considered a good fat but fat is fat when it comes to eating it and I had to stop because it was the coconut milk and high fat content that got me.  Fat is hard to digest anyway so that may be the problem.  

cyclinglady Grand Master

I just wanted to add that I can not tolerate coconut or any nuts (allergy).  Besides avoiding gluten, you might need to create a food journal to help you identify food intolerances.  If you are lucky, those intolerances might dissipate with healing.  

• 1 year later...
Tpow23 Newbie

I have been eating this for a while but I’ve been sick lately so I’m extra sensitive. I had it last night and got horribly sick from it. There was nothing else it could have been. I don’t know if it’s always been processed in a facility with wheat, I don’t remember seeing that on the back. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master
4 hours ago, Tpow23 said:

I have been eating this for a while but I’ve been sick lately so I’m extra sensitive. I had it last night and got horribly sick from it. There was nothing else it could have been. I don’t know if it’s always been processed in a facility with wheat, I don’t remember seeing that on the back. 

Did you check the ingredient label? They could have changed the formulation. Or, you have become more sensitive as you say, from the illness or just from the course of the disease. It could also be a reaction to some other nongluten ingredient like dairy which you have developed an intolerance to.

knitty kitty Grand Master

Microbial transglutaminase is used in ice cream as a texture enhancer.  It is technically an enzyme and part of the production process and as such is not required to be listed as an ingredient on the label.  

Microbial transglutaminase is used in baked goods, yogurt, ice cream, and processed foods, in both gluten free and nongluten-free foods.  

Beverley Ann Johnson Contributor
2 hours ago, knitty kitty said:

Microbial transglutaminase is used in ice cream as a texture enhancer.  It is technically an enzyme and part of the production process and as such is not required to be listed as an ingredient on the label.  

Microbial transglutaminase is used in baked goods, yogurt, ice cream, and processed foods, in both gluten free and nongluten-free foods.  

Maybe this explains why I get so sick eating ice cream and last night yogurt!

Scott Adams Grand Master

I doubt it would be used in yogurt, but who knows? It would certainly be worth eliminating all dairy/casein for a few weeks, and keeping a food diary to see if you can link your issues with other foods/allergens.