Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
Bronzynski15

Reactions to So Delicious Ice Cream?

Rate this topic

Good Morning,

A few days ago I had some Gluten Free So Delicious brand Ice Cream (second time actually). I had it because I also have a dairy reaction which I just found out I also have. Here we are about 2 days since I ate the Ice Cream and I have not been feeling great. You know the typical gluten exposure symptoms; gas, bloating, diarrhea, etc. I have been feeling great for about 3-4 months (Big Steps!!!) I have been pounding the water to help clear my system. I know So Delicious claims to clean their machinery, but I was wondering if someone else has experienced similar things with this brand. Thanks in advance! I love hearing what to community has to say!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My lactose intolerance resolved once I healed from celiac disease.  I buy Breyers which is labeled gluten-free on most of their ice creams.  Those are made in a dedicated facility.  No shared lines.  Sometimes piece of mind is priceless.  

Soy intolerances/allergies are common.  Sure it is not soy?  What about one of those gums?  

Some celiacs, like me, tend to be a bit more sensitive.  For others, they are not impacted.  

I am sorry that you are unwell.  Keep in mind that you might have picked up a stomach virus.  Not everything is due to celiac disease.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

I do know that So Delicious claims to be gluten-free, but many ice creams, unfortunately, also use binders such as xanthan gum or guar gum, which can also produce reactions in some people. Do you recall any of the ingredients?

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

I also just tried a So Delicious gluten free ice cream and had a reaction. Upon further inspection of the label, it says, "Produced in a facility that also processes wheat." Unfortunately, I don't think it's a safe brand for me, because I am highly gluten sensitive.

Isn’t the So Delicious brand made with coconut milk?  I remember trying that at one time and it is gluten free but coconut milk is very high in fat.  It may be considered a good fat but fat is fat when it comes to eating it and I had to stop because it was the coconut milk and high fat content that got me.  Fat is hard to digest anyway so that may be the problem.  

I just wanted to add that I can not tolerate coconut or any nuts (allergy).  Besides avoiding gluten, you might need to create a food journal to help you identify food intolerances.  If you are lucky, those intolerances might dissipate with healing.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed