This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nice Eyelashes!

ThomasMom

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Hmmm. Interesting topic. For the record I don't have Celiac, and I have short, pale eyelashes. By pale, I mean light brown almost blond and my hair is dark brown. My younger son, who has Celiac, has pretty long lashes, but blond, so he will need mascara for colour. (But only if he grows up to be a drag queen, otherwise, he's not allowed.) My older son wears glasses, and he doesn't clean them EVER, so I'm not really sure if he even has any eyelashes, I can't see them through the dirt and smudges.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dlp252 Apprentice

Hum, I used to get compliments on my lashes, but I've never personally thought they were particularly long or full. I know they point downwards, so in order to see them I have to curl them...so maybe all that curling over the years has stunted them, lol.

colorado kathy Newbie

I'm another one to count w/long eyelashes. That's very odd and it would be fascinating to know more about why this is a common thing. My lashes always bump against my sunglasses (I also wear contacts to avoid the daily hassles) and I've found Oakleys work pretty well. However my hair started falling out about 18 mo. ago - I was sure I'd be bald by now, but fortunately I had a lot to start with. I'm hoping that the gluten-free diet will slow that down - has anyone else found that to help?

jerseyangel Proficient
I'm another one to count w/long eyelashes. That's very odd and it would be fascinating to know more about why this is a common thing. My lashes always bump against my sunglasses (I also wear contacts to avoid the daily hassles) and I've found Oakleys work pretty well. However my hair started falling out about 18 mo. ago - I was sure I'd be bald by now, but fortunately I had a lot to start with. I'm hoping that the gluten-free diet will slow that down - has anyone else found that to help?

The gluten-free diet cleared my anemia which was probably the cause of my hair loss. My hair stopped falling out after a few months on the diet. Are you anemic, by any chance?

Guest Robbin

OK, this is too weird. I have extremely long thick eyelashes and so do both my sons. I have been questioned if I wear false eyelashes before and my husband's aunt asked me if I curled and put mascara on my son's eyelashes because they were so long. By the way, the boys say they hate them, but they sure do preen when the girls comment on them! I never knew such a connection. Now, hair is quite another issue..... :( nails--don't have them at all, soft, short stubby nails all my life.

debbiewil Rookie

Yes to long lashes - I've always had my glasses specially made so the lens curves out and the lashes don't catch.

Hmm, also, I've always have VERY short weak nails, and several other people on this commented on how bad their nails were.

Another possible celiac marker?

Debbie

colorado kathy Newbie
OK, this is too weird. I have extremely long thick eyelashes and so do both my sons. I have been questioned if I wear false eyelashes before and my husband's aunt asked me if I curled and put mascara on my son's eyelashes because they were so long. By the way, the boys say they hate them, but they sure do preen when the girls comment on them! I never knew such a connection. Now, hair is quite another issue..... :( nails--don't have them at all, soft, short stubby nails all my life.

Yes, I have been anemic for several years, altho a recent CBC shows me to be in a normal range, so I'm going to try to go off the iron for 3 months and see if I can maintain the count. Re: nails - mine have gotten horrible the past year - short, soft, break easily and they difficult to file - almost squishy. Maybe that will change, too?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast

My nails never used to grow long - yes, squishy I suppose and they would peel rather then break. Now they grown so long I have to keep trimming them back. (Ironic since I'm DF and would think my calcium levels were dropping - but maybe I can absorbing more nutrients now?)

dlp252 Apprentice

My nails are terrible. They break at the corners and peel. I have ridges down from top to bottom, which I know means something, just can't remember what, lol. I also have little "clouds"--white spots that look like little clouds.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

This is kind of weird. I have really long eyelashes, too . . . have had to have my lenses rounded out, as well. And I have really horrible fingernails. My mom has the same . . . she has also had horrible stomach trouble her entire life, but won't go to the doctor or do any follow-up to find out what it is.

lgleeson Newbie

I have to say that I, too, have always had long eyelashes. After going gluten-free, did that change for anyone? I hope not!

Guest Robbin
My nails never used to grow long - yes, squishy I suppose and they would peel rather then break. Now they grown so long I have to keep trimming them back. (Ironic since I'm DF and would think my calcium levels were dropping - but maybe I can absorbing more nutrients now?)

I am sooo glad to hear that maybe, just maybe I have a chance to get some fingernails. You have given me hope!! Lynne--my mother is the same way. I think they sometimes get afraid of what they will find out.

watkinson Apprentice

Fingernail problems are absolutely a symptom of celiacs. Or maybe I should say a sign of malnutrition. In third world countries, the nails are one of the first places they look when trying to find malnutrition. All of the above mentioned problems, the white specks, the ridges, soft, peeling, ect. <_<

Wendy

gabrielle Contributor

I'm in the long eye lash club too. I wear my glasses lower on my face so my lashes don't brush up against the lens. I also have big eyes, when I was little my mom used to say I looked like a Precious Moments doll. I dont really know if that's a compliment... :unsure:

Oh well, I think that this one indicator of celiac disease that I don't mind having!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Hmmm, a yes to this for my family too. Celiac son's were so beautiful an elderly lady argued about whether he was a girl or a boy. It was so funny, I finally said, "Please, I change his diapers!" and she shrugged and walked away.

bluejeangirl Contributor

I have to wait for my mascara to dry before putting on my glasses or I'll get streaks up and down the lenses.On the otherhand my nails have always been bad. Their soft and I have to trim them or they'll snag on things.

penguin Community Regular

I have always had long lashes, too. When I put mascara on I have to be careful not to open my eyes all the way or else I get mascara dots on my eyelid bone. I've never really worn sunglasses, because my eyelashes hit. Interesting.

It does sound like an old wives tale, though.

My nails grow pretty well, but at a certain point they'll split and snag on things. I also have pretty big ridges and sometimes my thumbnails get dents. :blink:

jerseyangel Proficient

My thumbnails used to get dents, too. After reading your post, I'm looking at them and they are perfectly straight--no dents at all anymore! Had not even noticed--probably just got used to them :D

prinsessa Contributor

Very interesting. My eyelashes have always been very long. My DS also has very long eyelashes and the biggest brown eyes. He is the one I am more worried about, between my two kids, having Celiac. I also have problems wearing sunglasses because my eyelashes hit them. It can get very annoying. My nails used to be horrible. I would also have those dents in my thumb nail. Now they are very strong after having my DS. It is so strange because I didn't have any stomach problems when my nails were bad. And now that they are good I have all sorts of stomach problems. :unsure:

Ann1231 Enthusiast

wow, this is really odd. I'd never have thought of eyelashes as being a symptom of celiac disease. I have very long lashes too and when I put on mascara, they always dot by my eyebrows and the lower ones dot that bone under they eyes by the cheeks. I also have to wear my glasses a bit lower or the lashes catch in the frame. I also have ridged nails that peel or split on the sides. The center of my nails are hard as can be but the edges are weak. I have white spots too. I never would have tied all these things together. I'm also anemic and hypoglycemic. I would guess that is due to malnutrition?

Ann

Rusla Enthusiast

I have never had long thick lashes unless I stick them on. The boys in the family have nice lashes but not me the diagnosed Celiac.

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

This is really funny...

What doctor or where did this urban myth come from?

penguin Community Regular
This is really funny...

What doctor or where did this urban myth come from?

I thought this was totally bizarro too, so I googled it! Apparently, the claim may be legit :huh:

Open Original Shared Link

Wierd. Not sure I believe it, still...

mart Contributor

Yes, long lashes can definitely be a Celiac symptom. I've read it in many sites. And - yes, my son (who has celiac disease) has long, beautiful lashes. I guess there could be worse symptoms!

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

ChelsE -- Thank U Thank U --

I have a girlfriend that just had a set of twins she's 50 and the kids are 2. The little girl is chubby drinking a lot of milk and the little boy is skinny, not growing like the girl and I have a feeling he has food allergies. The other day I brought my little doggie Goomba is his name (we are Italian - named after the Sopranos) ...anyway the little boy sneezed the moment Goomba walked over to him Goomba kissed him and he pet him. I looked at my friend and said "allergic to dogs?" she said her hubby is and he's allergic to everythings...

The little boy has really long lashes (he's 2)

Thanx for the info I'm going to print it out and send it to her.

Archived