This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nice Eyelashes!

ThomasMom

TCA Contributor

Both kids have huge eyes (as do I) and beautiful long eye lashes. I got jipped on the eye lashes, though.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guhlia Rising Star

We were told by our allergist (my little brother's allergic to EVERYTHING) that long eyelashes are a symptom of allergies. The eyelashes grow to keep possibly harmful allergens out. He said it doesn't have to be an airborne allergy like dust or pollen for the eyelashes to be long. The body is just trying to keep the toxins out in whatever way possible. I don't know if this is true, but it makes sense to me. I too have long eyelashes, but so does my husband and he's allergy/celiac free.

• 3 weeks later...
megsylvan2 Apprentice

Count me in the long lashes and soft fingernails club. My son, whom I also believe is Celiac/gluten intolerant has very long lashes too. We have always received comments on them throughout our lives. I'll have to check out the links, as this one is weird.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I used to have long lashes until I developed Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and I lost a lot of hair. My daughter has amazing lashes, though. I wonder....

mamaw Community Regular

It's the real deal.....true

• 1 month later...
brendygirl Community Regular

I have blonde hair and long, thick, black eyelashes. And so does my dad, who's also celiac. spooky. One of my younger brothers also has thick, long lashes....hmmm.

elye Community Regular

I started a long thread on this very subject a few months ago after the director at our National celiac conference mentioned this connection in one of his presentations. We all sat forward, and he said, "So, if you know of anyone with long, thick eyelashes, you may want to mention celiac to them, as the two share genetic origins". I asked my GI, and he confirmed this. And yep, my lashes have always been long, as are my son's, who has tested negative for celiac but I'm watching closely...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I have never heard this, however my entire life everyone has always commented how beautiful and long my eyelashes are. Any makeup artist that has ever worked on me has always said I have the longest, thickest eyelashes they've ever seen. Interesting.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I have blonde eyelashes and strong fingernails. Since going gluten-free, I have to cut my fingernails with my husband's nail clippers. No one ever compliments me on my eyelashes, I don't think they're long and thick, but they do look it with one coat of mascara. I also have thin, blonde eyebrows, but I've read that can be from low thyroid.

Some of my kids have thick, long, dark eyelashes. My husband doesn't. Perhaps my long dark eyelash gene just hasn't been triggered yet, I wonder how I can go about doing that :lol::lol::lol:

schuyler Apprentice

This is very interesting. I have big eyes and long, thick, dark lashes. I also have fingernail problems .

Guest BERNESES

This is so wild! I have long, thick eyelashes too.

I have to say that my whole life, I had the longest, strongest nails. Then, when I developed celiac symptoms, my nails all broke, cracked, the cuticles got really dry. I 've been gluten-free for 16 months now and my nails are back with a vengeance. They are so long that I have to file them almost daily because it's hard to type. The nail moons have returned on all but my ring and pinky fingers so there is nail hop!

jmunchkin- LOVE your new photo. Where are you?

CarlaB Enthusiast

What significance are the nail moons? I only have them on my thumbs and middle fingers?

Guest BERNESES

There was a thread on it awhile ago. Here's the link:

Open Original Shared Link

My MIL, who has hypothyroid told me that they are somehow associated with autoimmune disorders.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Interesting, thank you.

• 9 months later...
kiwigirl Newbie

Hi guys, this is my first post (Ive been lurking ;-) but this thread is just too fascinating. Im in with the long eyelashes too. I havent had an official diagnosis, the tests came back negative but the dr and i am sure that im gluten intolerant too. Im 5'8'' and weigh 7 stone and eat like a horse but it makes no differance. One of my sisters has been diaganosed as gluten intolerant and she has the long curly lashes too. Mine are long and straight and i too have problems with sunglasses. Funny thing is that most of my eyelashes are straight but i have a few in the corner of one eye that are really curly. My other sister has short (well average) eyelashes and has no problems with gluten. Fascinating.

KJ11DU Newbie

this is interesting. i too have long eyelashes. i haven't been diagnosed with celiac but my doc. is running test to see. i have had intestinal issues for over 3 yrs and as i've researched the disease i'm becoming more and more convinced it is what i might have. in someways i'm hoping i do so i can start treating it and hopefully see my symptoms subside.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Yeah, long lashes here too :lol:

And about the nail moons; yes - all fingers, and some toes too.

confused Community Regular
Yeah, long lashes here too :lol:

And about the nail moons; yes - all fingers, and some toes too.

long eyelashes and nail moons here to, I cant wear most sunglasses without my eyelashes hitting hte lenses and that is without mascara on. I had an boyfriend after high school that wouldnt let me wear mascara cause he said my eyelashes were too thick to begin with and he didnt like them any longer or fuller then they already were lol. In the summer time i dotn dare but mascara on them if i want to find sunglasses that i have a chance to wear lol

paula

RiceGuy Collaborator

I just looked over the nail moon thread, the link to which is a few posts above mine. I am in fact taking a sublingual methylcobalamin (B12). My nails had been getting somewhat thin too for awhile, but are now looking quite healthy - perhaps more than I've ever seen them. Growing faster again as well.

ReneCox Contributor

just curious...how would celiac cause longer eyelashes?

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I'm in with the long eyelash crowd.

RiceGuy Collaborator
just curious...how would celiac cause longer eyelashes?

I wouldn't think Celiac causes long eyelashes. Rather that the genetic disposition tends to appear along with that of Celiac, or at least it seems to according to this thread.

ReneCox Contributor

hmm interesting...my sister and I both have long eyelashes

CMCM Rising Star

Well, I have really read a LOT about celiac disease, but have never come across a word about celiac disease and long eyelashes! As for me, I had decently good eyelashes most of my life, but as my symptoms got worse, probably for the last 8 years or so I definitely noticed they had gotten thinner and shorter. I actually didn't use mascara for quite a few years because of this. BUT....now a year relatively gluten free they have grown back quite nicely. So for me, I can say being gluten free helped. My hair is also a lot nicer and thicker now, too. :P

hathor Contributor

I used to have great eyelashes, but in recent years it's been like what you experienced. Now that I'm gluten-free -- who knows? I would like to have them back. I thought it was just old age :lol: My eyes seem to be sensitive to mascara so I don't use it. (Although I've never checked whether any of them have gluten or something else I'm sensitive to ...)

My nails have always been soft. This would be a nice plus if my new diet makes them better. And hair, too, you say?

One thing I've noticed is that some perioral dermititis I've had for years and never been able to get rid of has been disappearing. I think that might relate to giving up soy though. I accidentally had some (a new supplement that said it was "hypoallergenic" and didn't have blah, blah, blah, and I never noticed it didn't list soy :blink: ). When my night sweats returned -- something that slowly went away after I cut out soy -- and I saw some new blemishes, I thought to double check. Stopped taking them and my skin has cleared up again -- and I'm sleeping through the night. So dark circles have improved ... either because of the diet or because I'm sleeping.

Gee, with my new diet I'm just going to be fabulous :lol:

Archived