• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I was wondering if it is worth the $350.00.

I have had diarrhea for 6 months, gas and pain about two inches above my navel. My blood tests were negative, and my biopsy was inconclusive.

I am currently on Librax which is the only thing that has given me any relief. I am bipolar though and I really don't want to stay on it any longer than necessary.

I don't know if I want to go gluten-free until I find out for sure because I know I will go very strict with it and stress myself out.

Thanks.

Whether it is worth it is probably a personal decision, but I do feel it was worth it for me. I had been on a low carb diet for a few years, so any damage would have probably been hit or miss in an endoscopy. I'm not sure if a blood test would have worked because while I was basically eating low-carb I did eat some (not a lot though) low carb products which contained wheat, rye and barley.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe the standard blood tests and endoscopy will tell you if you have an intolerance or sensitivity which can be just as problematic as full-on Celiac and the treatment for it is the same--gluten-free.

The Enterolab results definitely showed me I have a sensitivity to gluten. I also had the genetic testing and testing for Casein, yeast and egg intolerance. Turns out I also have sensitity to Casein but not egg or yeast, which was VERY helpful for me and the genetic testing told me that I carry one of the main genes which is associated with Celiac disease.

[ETA] I also think that having this information has helped to cement in my head that I absolutely DO have to adhere to the gluten-free lifestyle. You can always try the gluten-free diet for a few months to see if your symptoms clear up.

Guest barbara3675

DLP 252 was right.....the blood test and endoscopy will not tell you if you are gluten intolerant or sensitive. The Enterolab testing will tell you if you are and also if you are casein intolerant and if you carry the gene. I tested negative through blood, but positive for intolerance of gluten and casein/and carry the gene. It was well worth the nearly $400. You should know that with many people the casein sensitivity will go away after several months when the celia have healed and you can go back to eating dairy products. That is the way it was with me and with many others. This could be the best money you can spend as it will put you at rest about your situation and head you in the right direction in regard to your health. Barbara

I noticed that you had another thread started and saw an additional question...you asked about how soon you get the results. I believe I had mine in just slightly over 2 weeks from the time I sent it in.

I was wondering if it is worth the $350.00.

I have had diarrhea for 6 months, gas and pain about two inches above my navel. My blood tests were negative, and my biopsy was inconclusive.

I am currently on Librax which is the only thing that has given me any relief. I am bipolar though and I really don't want to stay on it any longer than necessary.

I don't know if I want to go gluten-free until I find out for sure because I know I will go very strict with it and stress myself out.

Thanks.

Absolutely worth every penny to me. I looked at all the individual tests, and decided the complete panel for $350 was definitely the cheapest way to find out the most: the genes (I had TWO of them!! I knew my mom had celiac, but my late father's contribution of a 2nd gene was a complete surprise!). That bit of knowledge (that I had 2 genes, one for celiac and one for gluten sensitivity) told me that my two children would also have one of my problem genes as well. I learned that I didn't have malabsorption yet (yay!) and I learned (not at all surprising) that I was casein sensitive. This panel answered most of my questions....and later I ordered the egg/yeast/soy panel as well. I don't suspect egg or yeast, but I won't be surprised about soy because I know full well that it always affects me. (I don't have results back yet for this latest test).

All of this if far far cheaper than chasing numerous doctors, doing bloodwork, doing allergy tests etc.

I got the gluten panel info back in about 2 weeks, by the way.