This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Severe stomach pain 2 hours after eating

Brightstar101

Brightstar101 Rookie

Hello. I was diagnosed with Celiac in Novemeber 2019. I have been following a strict gluten free diet. I mainly stick with Meats, veggies and fruits. I learned to stay away from the gluten free proccessed foods. About 2 weeks ago, 2 hours after eating eggs and taking pepto bismol, I ended up with such severe stomach pain, shortness of breath and almost passing out pain, I ended up in an ambulance and in the hospital. They couldnt find anything after doing a CT scan and blood work. After this, I started not eating much because I was afraid of the pain and i kept having a dull ache and pressure in my upper abdomen.

A week after this, I eat a gluten free hamburger from Red Robins. 2 hours later I went swimming. The severe pain returned and it was so severe I almost passed out. Severe upper abdomen pain with shortness of breath. Ended up back in the hospital and again they found nothin after many tests. A few days later after not eating, I decided to have 1 scrambled egg. Bad idea. 2 hours later the worst pain of my life. 

I have been able to eat plain soup, bananas and chips only. I am terrified to eat. I had an upper GI and it came back as me having an hital hernia, Barrets and my deuoderem is severly damamged by it being flat. I already knew about the Barrets and hital hernia. 

I have been glutened before and this pain 2 hours after I eat is way way more severe than being glutened. Before this pain, I was taking digestive enzymes and vitamens all gluten free. Any ideas please or thoughts? Could this be from Celiac disease? 

Thank you! 

Stacy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I am sorry that you are ill.  I am not sure that I understand your timeline.  You were diagnosed in November 2019.  At that time, you were also diagnosed or had earlier been diagnosed with Barrett’s and the hiatal hernia.  In November, your villi were found flattened in your duodenum celiac disease)  Is this correct?  

All I can offer is my own personal experience.  When I was diagnosed, I suffered just from anemia.  But once going gluten free, symptoms from a gluten exposure became severe.  I would start with bloating, indigestion, ramping up to vomiting, cramps and passing out because the pain was so severe.    I did not realize that I had additional food intolerances (like to Xanthan Gum found in many commercial gluten-free products).    

Glutenings can last weeks  for me.  Anything hurts to digest.  I usually consume soup or stew for every meal and suffer as soon as it hits my small intestine.  So, like you, no food means no pain.  I get that.  But you need to eat.  Just keep the window short.  I ended up fasting from the end of dinner and waiting for lunch the next day to start the cycle of eating and misery.  I still eat this way.  It helps to give my GI  track a daily rest (but let me assure you I have been well for two years now as a repeat endoscopy confirmed).  

So, your small intestine is likely still damaged.  You are a newbie.    It takes a year for most members to heal.  Gluten exposures sets off your celiac disease and probably  triggers your Barrett’s and that in turn impacts your hernia.  Avoiding gluten is critical.  Do not eat out until you are well.  It is not worth hours, days or weeks of agony, is it?  Avoid foods that cause symptoms.  It sounds like eggs are not for you at this time.  Someday, with healing, you may get eggs back.  Keep a journal to to help identify  other intolerances.  

Celiac disease is a serious illness.  It is not just about going gluten free.  There is a lot of baggage that comes with it, but you can heal. I am doing really well now.  Hang in there!  

Hey, it has been a few months.  Have you had a repeat celiac blood panel?  This can help determine if celiac disease is the root cause of your current misery.  Antibodies should be on the decline but often do not normalize for a year.  

Edited by cyclinglady

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

FatimaFarhan
    Newest Member
    FatimaFarhan
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• GardeningForHealth
      As a side note, it seems that medical science has evolved in the past 5-6 years regarding Celiac Disease, and I am now catching up. It seems that anything that disrupts the microbiome sufficiently enough can--in genetically susceptible individuals--lead to Celiac Disease. I have been reading now that antibiotics, excessive simple carbohydrates such as refined sugars and starches, the manner of birth such as C-section vs vaginal delivery, the diversity of one's diet, the presence of certain bacteria or viruses, can all contribute to microbiome dysbiosis, which can lead to Celiac. This is fascinating research.
    • GardeningForHealth
      I mostly eat healthy. My diet has varied over the past 10 years but mostly consisted of meals I cooked at home made from scratch. Ingredients I used over the years include (not in order): non-wheat grains such as teff, sorghum, millet, and eggs, butter, cheese, some milk, meat (poultry, red meat, but very little processed meat), gluten-free baked bread (mostly Canyon Bakehouse brand), vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes, peanuts, chocolate (not in the past 6 months). However, the mistakes I made in my diet are that I consumed too much sugar and carbohydrates from gluten-free baked goods that I baked myself at home such as gluten-free dessert items, and also I ate pretty much the same exact meals over and over, so a great lack of diversity in what I ate. I got lazy. I think this messed up my microbiome. The meals I ate were mostly healthy though. I always made sure to eat vegetables and fruits on a daily basis.  I have checked for nutrient deficiencies over the years and I am sometimes low in Vitamin D. I started supplementing it after that. What concerns me is the progressive nature of the food intolerances, which indicates the gut is not healing and has been leaking all along. 
    • TessaBaker
      It sounds like you're dealing with a complex situation, and I can understand how frustrating it must be not to have a clear answer. Gut health can indeed play a significant role in various aspects of our well-being, including hair health.
    • Celiac16
      I have found similar benefits from thiamine. I was diagnosed with celiac at 16 and never really recovered despite strict gluten and dairy free diet and no detectable antibodies on checkup bloodworks. I’ve tried stopping the b1 but start to feel bad again- I wanted my doctors to do more extensive testing for the different thiamine transporters and enzymes which would be a better indication if I was deficient or dependent on it but everyone dismisses it (there are know genetic mutations where you need to take it daily for life). I have looked into Thiamine Responsive Megablast Anemia and I have a lot of the more mild symptoms of the disease that manifest when thiamine isn’t given to the patient such as optic neuritis… I just find the parallels interesting. i think that celiacs could be a side issue of inflammation that resulted from vitamin deficiencies. I was eating a lot of sugar leading up to my diagnosis and since eating gluten free didn’t make me feel much better, I’m wondering if this was more the underlying issue (sugar heavily depletes b1). I usually take 1.5g thiamine a day.
    • Fluka66
      Thank you for your welcome and reply.  Yes I've been carefully reading labels looking for everything in bold and have been amazed by what I have seen. However Heinz tomato and basil soup is wheat free so I m thinking I already have ulcers?  The acid could be causing the pain . My pain always starts in one place then follows the same route through me . GP confirmed that is the route of our digestive system.  So much pain from stabbing to tearing. If I throw in milk with lactose it's horrific.  Many years of it now, won't go into details but been seeing a consultant for a supposedly different problem . Wondering what damage has been done over the years. Many thanks for your reply. Wishing you the very best.