• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Merika

Washing Hands

Rate this topic

Hi,

So, I am thinking about this from a recent thread in parents of kids with celiac about getting grandparents to wash their hands before feeding or preparing food for a celiac, and also washing their hands after eating their own gluten-filled foods. Obviously, it's a good idea....BUT

Does anyone have a link that points to some literature or "official" text that this is necessary to a celiac's health, and that cross-contamination is real? PLEASE post it!!!

I googled around last night, and found references to cross-contamination in the food supply, but nothing about people washing their hands.

Please I hope somebody has something, 'cause my dad's been giving me the "rolling eyes" treatment about this topic. He just doesn't believe it could be a problem.

Merika

I wash my hands before preping my food and before eating. I also ask my husband to do the same if he's cooking that night (and of course, making sure that the soap is gluten-free). I haven't seen literature on this, but it makes sense to me. Then again, I haven't seen much literature referencing possible risks from toothpaste, lipstick, mouthwash, kissing, face wash, etc. Sorry I can't help you much, but you are not alone with the hand washing. Besides, its good hygeine (sp?).

Here are some sites that discuss cross contamination:

http://kidshealth.org/teen/diseases_condit...ive/celiac.html

"If someone in your family bakes with products that contain gluten, you need to thoroughly clean appliances, utensils, and work surfaces before preparing your gluten-free products. Remember to wash your hands thoroughly and often."

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:sXfYYV...&ct=clnk&celiac disease=4

"When making sandwiches, do the gluten free ones first - otherwise be sure to wash your hands after touching regular bread and before touching gluten free supplies."

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:hiC-oM...&ct=clnk&celiac disease=5

"Furthermore, people with celiac disease who prepare gluten-containing food for others should wash their hands after completing the task, and shopping from bulk bins should be avoided."

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:pC9j4z...&ct=clnk&celiac disease=8

"Play dough, modeling clay, finger paints and glue. Be sure that you wash your hands after use and before having a meal."

Thanks Carrie, I hadn't seen the www.sarahealth one before.

Bluelotus, my dh is great too. And I know everyone talks about it on the board here - why don't the medical experts (other than celiac.ca which is ahead of its time....) post this sort of stuff that really makes a difference???

My son and I both got glutened a while back from a friendly neighbor's pie they brought over and ate for tea with us. I was really careful, but apparently not enough. Ds and I didn't ever directly touch the pie. Everyone had forks for the pie (but clearly stuck their fingers in their mouths and on their plates). But via cross contamination we sure got sick. And yes, I'm sure it was the pie.

My dad just doesn't want to conform. Thinks it's needless. Thinks it's a PITA. And takes it all very personally when I bring any of it up with him. Doesn't he know it's NOT ABOUT HIM, it's simply about protocol to keep everyone healthy.

Merika

I have to remember to rinse my hands after I handle gluten but before I touch other surfaces in the kitchen. I wash/rinse before I reopen the refrigerator door as I don't want to transfer gluten from hand to the door handle. Maybe that's a little extreme but I want to eliminate any gluten exposure.

Debmidge--I do the same thing. I think of gluten as any other contaminate--like salmonella. I wash my hands after handling it, dishes & silverware that it has touched, and always run a warm, soapy dishcloth over the fridge, sink, and microwave handles. Any knives used for gluten food goes directly into the dishwasher--I don't even put it back on the counter. All this is second nature to me now, and really does not add any more time to regular cleanup. It's just common sense, really--and if it's overkill, at least I feel better, and it certainly won't hurt!

Hi, I have a question regarding that purell hand sanitizer. I'm such a freak about my hands being clean these days and cross contamination because once I ate an apple and had the 'bad gas' (sorry) that I get right after eating gluten. Of course, I didn't rinse the apple off before eating it because I was nowhere near a faughcet, but now I know just how delicate this subject is. So anyway, I've been using Purell hand sanitizer for after going to the bathroom instead of using the soaps in my company bathrooms, resturants, dept. stores, etc. Does anyone else do this? I don't know what I would do without it. I'm so paranoid of using a soap from a pump that contains gluten!

i was wondering myself about purell. instead, i'm kind of dorky and carry my own little soap box around with a bar of irish spring (I got a list from the parent company of gluten-free products, and that brand was on there).

I am probably the only living American who thinks Purell is ewwwwww gross :P Putting an icky gel all over my hands and letting it dry there and then who knows where the "working" residue goes??? My mouth? Hair? Food? ICK! Just give me old fashioned soap and water please! :D

I've never worried about soap while out. I figure as long as I rinse well, it should all disappear. Also, that really strong commercial stuff in public bathrooms is soooo manmade chemical, I figure it's probably safe. More of an issue would be someone's fancy home soap that is advertised as "natural" or with oats or whatever - and sometimes I do just rinse really well and avoid the soap. :o

And, just to get on my soapbox (haha), I am super against the overuse of anti-bacterial everything in our culture which is just breeding more toxic bacteria which must be treated with more toxic medicines and so on. Old fashioned soap and water rocks!

And, purell doesn't get the gluten OFF if I have it on me from somewhere....

Merika :)

I carry the alcohol, not the antibacterial, hand sanitizer with me as a backup. It's good if you are not near a bathroom.