• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

lovemyboy

Hi Looking For Some Input

Rate this topic

Hi I've only posted once or twice but wanted some others opions on this matter. I run a dayhome and am planning on advertising gluten free food as my son eats that way all pastas and such that I serve are already gluten free only give oatmeal and regular bread to the other kids everything else is gluten free. So wondering how would I advertise this? Also could there be things I'm not thinking of that contain gluten planning on making own playdoh, what about crayons and other art supplies? Hand soap I'll need to look into. What about wipes and such those should be okay right? Also should I just start serving only gluten free bread even to the other kids would this make people more interested. Anything I missed feel free to point out. I am in Calgary Alberta. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Guest Viola

I don't live there, but I know Calgary has a large Support group with a website. I think if I was doing something like that, I would get in touch with them and see what they would be looking for in a day care.

I think it's great that you are starting one, I'm sure it is needed :)

All I can say is .. if we were looking for a new daycare and one adverteised gluten-free I would move them up the list to consider RELAY fast. :)

I don't know about Canada, but gluten-free eating is getting almost common here, lol. Actually, it's not funny, as many of the gluten-free kids are autistic/aspergers, which sucks way more than celiac. If you can manage these sorts of kids, I'm sure you'd have a full day care in no time.

I bet word of mouth would be good for otherwise healthy kids, or maybe pediatrician offices or local support groups for celiac or other food-allergic kids.

Merika

Hi, I'm in Calgary, too. About the soap...all Colgate/Palmolive products are gluten-free. That's toothpaste, dishsoap, laundry detergent and hand soap. We use Soft Soap liquid soap.

http://www.celiacpei.ca/pdfglutenfreeproductlist2004.pdf That's a link to a Canadian list of gluten-free products.

Also try this website: http://www.penny.ca/Product.htm

Here's the link to the Calgary Celiac Association: http://www.calgaryceliac.com/

Have you thought about calling the CHR or someone at the government on whether or not there are special regulations or anything like that? http://www.child.gov.ab.ca/whatwedo/childc...y%20Day%20Homes

What part of Calgary are you from? We're in the Northwest, my son was diagnosed in August.

I know there's a list someplace of crayons, markers, etc. and their gluten free status but I can't think of the site right now. Maybe Delphi?

Hi, I'm in Calgary, too. About the soap...all Colgate/Palmolive products are gluten-free. That's toothpaste, dishsoap, laundry detergent and hand soap. We use Soft Soap liquid soap.

http://www.celiacpei.ca/pdfglutenfreeproductlist2004.pdf That's a link to a Canadian list of gluten-free products.

Also try this website: http://www.penny.ca/Product.htm

Here's the link to the Calgary Celiac Association: http://www.calgaryceliac.com/

Have you thought about calling the CHR or someone at the government on whether or not there are special regulations or anything like that? http://www.child.gov.ab.ca/whatwedo/childc...y%20Day%20Homes

What part of Calgary are you from? We're in the Northwest, my son was diagnosed in August.

I know there's a list someplace of crayons, markers, etc. and their gluten free status but I can't think of the site right now. Maybe Delphi?

Thanks I'm in the Northwest too. I'm going to see about putting an ad in the next newsletter. What did you mean about regulations? If you mean just for dayhomes in general I'm already part of an agency and have been operating for about five months.

Thanks I'm in the Northwest too. I'm going to see about putting an ad in the next newsletter. What did you mean about regulations? If you mean just for dayhomes in general I'm already part of an agency and have been operating for about five months.

Yes, that's what I meant, or if you have to comply with certain guidelines to advertise as "gluten-free". The whole CYA mentality. Make sure all the i's are crossed and t's are dotted, if you know what I mean.

As far as the newsletter, do you mean the Suburban Journal? It might not be a bad idea to get an ad or notice of some kind in the school newsletter of the school closest to you if you are doing before/after school care also.

I don't know if this helps any, but you may be able to get your local paper to do a story about your dayhome, you know and how you are trying to cater to children with a special diet and about what gluten free actually means, it's cheaper than running an advertisment, and you will get more publicity for your dayhome and also help with educating people about gluten free diets.

I don't know if this helps any, but you may be able to get your local paper to do a story about your dayhome, you know and how you are trying to cater to children with a special diet and about what gluten free actually means, it's cheaper than running an advertisment, and you will get more publicity for your dayhome and also help with educating people about gluten free diets.

That might be a good idea to call the paper, I'm thinking more of advertising celiac aware though as I do still have regular bread and oatmeal so for the time being I don't think I'll be completely gluten free, as don't know how many people would be interested and if some non celiac kids want to sign up.

Yes, that's what I meant, or if you have to comply with certain guidelines to advertise as "gluten-free". The whole CYA mentality. Make sure all the i's are crossed and t's are dotted, if you know what I mean.

As far as the newsletter, do you mean the Suburban Journal? It might not be a bad idea to get an ad or notice of some kind in the school newsletter of the school closest to you if you are doing before/after school care also.

I meant the calgary celiac newsletter that might be an idea about the schools though. Thanks