• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

bluelotus

Got Glutened

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I was doing fairly well, but got glutened somewhere. It sucks, my tummy hurts and had all the normal celiac disease symptoms. I really hate this stupid disease. Sorry, just wanted to moan to someone.........oh....my tummy. :(

Thanks for the sympathy.... I would guess its CC, everything I ate was typical. I hate being glutened...feels like little needles in my tummy. Best wishes to all others that are sick out there tonight.

I get sick from cross contamination very easily. I really have to limit a lot of "gluten free" mainstream foods and even a few "gluten free" foods because of cross contamination issues. Some products that make me sick are Humpty Dumpty chips, Butterball products, Maple Leaf all beef hot dogs, and Bob's Red Mill flaxseed.

Just in case - here's what I've had in the past day that might be risky b.c I have them less often (though don't recall getting sick) - Silk soymilk raspberry smoothie, Ian's gluten free fish sticks. Also have had 'homemade' gluten-free bread from a Gluten-free pantry mix to go with my homemade soup. I am not suggesting that any of these brands are the problem per se, I eat such a varied diet that it is hard to pin down an item as making me sick. But, if anyone has had problems with any of these, I'd be interested.

Oh....my tummy :(

I dont know about any of the foods you ate....just wanted to say sorry you feel sick. :(

Sometimes gluten-free does not mean there's no gluten in it. I had to learn this the hard way. Eg. potatoes do not contain gluten, and a potato chip manufacturer can say that his potato chips are naturally gluten-free. But go back to the company and ask them if the chips are produced in a gluten-free facility....many times they are NOT!

the only way to know is to contact the company. If they don't get back to you with a very clear Yes or No, then do not eat the food.

I had this happen with some organic almond butter. The label said it contained only roasted almonds. But it kept giving me trouble. I finally contacted the company and they said they didn't add anything to the almonds. But when I pressed them further, I asked them if they roasted their own nuts...they said no, they bought them already roasted from another facility. Did this other facility process gluten-containing foods inthe same factory? Well, they weren't sure.

And there was my answer. I don't eat the almond butter anymore...and the problems went away. I've had similar experiences with all sorts of 'gluten-free' products.

Just call or e-mail the companies. They are pretty friendly and it is a really useful resource.

One more thing...I've been gluten free about two years, and just started being unable to handle soy and dairy just these last couple months. If everything you are eating is gluten-free, eliminate the soy and dairy, then add them back in and see if they are the culprits.

Hope this helps,

If you do figure it out, please post here so we can all learn from your experience!

thanks,

Gabby

Thanks, Gabby and Rachel. Gabby, I haven't contacted Ian's, but Silk does list their smoothies as gluten-free on their website. Ian's gluten-free fish sticks label themselves as gluten-free on the package. Then again, I am very sensitive to CC, so maybe both or one of the two companies has CC problems. I've got tons going on this week, but maybe I can give them a call sooner or later.

Thanks again for your support. Feeling a little better today, but pretty run down. Oh, and Gabby, I can't tolerate dairy either (found out its casein by testing myself - I miss cheese :( ) I hope soy's not next!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• April 17, 2019 Until April 27, 2019
      April 17-27, 2020   For the past few years many of you have asked us to arrange a River Boat Cruise that will allow us to visit Amsterdam's famous Keukenhof Gardens at its prime time of the blossoming of the millions of Tulips and Hyacinths - alongside the windmills of the Netherlands.  With the participation of a minimum of 20 persons we have arranged an All-Inclusive Cruise from Antwerp to Amsterdam.  This cruise will not be offered to the public until January, 2019 and always sells out quickly.   THERE WILL BE NO MONEY REQUIRED NOR COMMITMENT FROM YOU until we have all the final costs and details.  If you are at all interested check out our website for as many of the details that we have as of this time.   We need your request to be placed on a list of interested participants so we can present that number to Uniworld to show we have the sincere interest in this All-Inclusive Bob & Ruth's Gluten-free Cruise.   PLEASE CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE FOR THE DETAILED INFORMATION THAT WE HAVE AS OF THIS TIME.   http://bobandruths.com
    • May 01, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • May 04, 2019 Until May 05, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com