• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guest Leidenschaft

Anti-gliadin Numbers...

Rate this topic

Guest Leidenschaft

Hi all... part of my yearly routine is blood work monitoring my anti-gliadin numbers... the doctor just phoned me and told me that my number this year is 10 points higher than last! :o

Normal is (apparently) 25, last year I was 26 :) but this year I am 36! :blink: I do NOT intentionally ingest gluten and know when I've done it by accident. She suggests that I'm not managing my diet as well as before, but I don't feel like I take any more chances or that I'm exposed to gluten more frequently than the previous year! :unsure:

Anyway, is it possible that the numbers fluctuate and are influenced by gluten ingested in the few days before the bloodwork? Or does this number really represent my overall state of being gluten-free?

Last question, would it be beneficial for me to have the bloodwork done more often than once per year?

Thanks in advance for any input! :D

Tammy

Guest Viola

I think that's an interesting question. Perhaps being contaminated on the day of the test does push it up. Are you going to try and run the test again ... say in a month or so?

I think I'll ask for a full panel when I go in next month and see what mine are.

Has anyone else found there results higher after going gluten free? It would be really interesting to know if a contamination can push the numbers up so high.

I know that mine have fluctuated. I started at either 34 or 36, then went down to 24, then went up to 60. I'm going to be tested in March because it will be 6 months that I have been gluten-free. If it's still at 60, I'm going to be really frustrated, because I have been more compliant with this diet than I have been compliant with ANY medical treatment throughout my life. I did read, in some article somewhere (I have become addicted to Medline) that your body can actually increase your antigliadin levels despite adherence to a gluten-free diet. (Again, don't know where I read that, so I can't tell you for sure that it's a valid study). Funny, though, I never looked to see what "normal" was. No wonder my neuro said that my first test was "high", but my last one was "EXTREMELY high" :huh: If I find that article, or talk to anyone who knows, I'll let you know . . . Lynne

Guest Viola

Lynne ...Maybe the last couple of days before you get tested, go right back to 'fresh only' foods and see what happens.

I suspect that maybe if on the day, or the day before testing, you are contaminated somehow, it might push the numbers up. So ... If you eat only what cannot be cross-contaminated, and be super careful about what a 'gluten' person touches "for instance the telephone while eating a sandwich" etc. My theary is that they should be lower numbers.

At least that would explain why they would be high if you are pretty careful of your diet.

Thanks Shirley -- I didn't even think of that! My husband is pretty much gluten-free, too -- we don't have very much gluten-containing food in the house anymore -- BUT -- he gets subs, etc. at work, and grazes on them during the day. I'll bet that's EXACTLY what happened! You are so smart :D . . . .Lynne

Guest Viola

:lol: I'm not too sure about being so Smart, I just know that Tammy is very strict with her diet and that's the only thing that I could think of that would push the numbers that high. She can't remember if she was contaminated that day, or the day before though.

Tam, I think you should go and run another test as well, this time stick really close to the absolute basics and see if it makes a difference. It would certainly prove that even tiny amounts of contamination does big damage, if that's the case.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• April 17, 2019 Until April 27, 2019
      April 17-27, 2020   For the past few years many of you have asked us to arrange a River Boat Cruise that will allow us to visit Amsterdam's famous Keukenhof Gardens at its prime time of the blossoming of the millions of Tulips and Hyacinths - alongside the windmills of the Netherlands.  With the participation of a minimum of 20 persons we have arranged an All-Inclusive Cruise from Antwerp to Amsterdam.  This cruise will not be offered to the public until January, 2019 and always sells out quickly.   THERE WILL BE NO MONEY REQUIRED NOR COMMITMENT FROM YOU until we have all the final costs and details.  If you are at all interested check out our website for as many of the details that we have as of this time.   We need your request to be placed on a list of interested participants so we can present that number to Uniworld to show we have the sincere interest in this All-Inclusive Bob & Ruth's Gluten-free Cruise.   PLEASE CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE FOR THE DETAILED INFORMATION THAT WE HAVE AS OF THIS TIME.   http://bobandruths.com
    • April 24, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • May 04, 2019 Until May 05, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com