• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guest Zmom

Gluten And Paper Towels/plates

Rate this topic

Guest Zmom

I was totally shocked today when My son's Enterolab results were higher than last year. His diarrhea has been gone for many months.

Talked to a nurse at his Dr.s office who said another gluten-free patient told her paper towels and plates are loaded with gluten. This person's baby only improved when those products were also eliminated. All my son's foods are gluten -free and I pack his pre-school food.He has seperate pots/pans. I dry his dishes sometimes with paper towels and drain fat from burgers on them. Sometimes he grabs a paper towel for his gluten-free muffins... So this makes sense. Has anyone else heard of this? Going to call manufacturers tommorrow.

I'm no expert, but that doesn't sound right to me..since going gluten-free I've been using tons of paper plates and towels, always washing my hands

Guest Zmom

Called Brawney wheat/gluten is not used in the paper towels but the glue on the roll has gluten in it and would effect the last paper towel and maybe absorb into a few above it since the glue is warm/wet when attatched to the roll and paper towels. As for the plates a couple of companies stated gluten/wheat etc. are not added to their products but since some of the materials and coatings are made in other countries they cannot be sure if cross cantamination has occured. Seventh Generation paper/ cleaning products are gluten free Except for their maxi/thin pads which have wheat in the absorbancy fibers.(wheat was listed on the label) all the other products were verified gluten-free by the rep. over the phone.

that's crazy! we use paper towels and paper plates, etc. all the time because we don't have a dishwasher right now and it's easier.....hmmm.....I will have to check mine out!

I was totally shocked today when My son's Enterolab results were higher than last year. His diarrhea has been gone for many months.

Talked to a nurse at his Dr.s office who said another gluten-free patient told her paper towels and plates are loaded with gluten. This person's baby only improved when those products were also eliminated. All my son's foods are gluten -free and I pack his pre-school food.He has seperate pots/pans. I dry his dishes sometimes with paper towels and drain fat from burgers on them. Sometimes he grabs a paper towel for his gluten-free muffins... So this makes sense. Has anyone else heard of this? Going to call manufacturers tommorrow.

Are you kidding me? Just another thing to worry about. I have been breaking out recently for no apparent reason. Took a new job 3 months ago. Maybe the paper towels they use are the culprit. UGH!!!

From Enterolab FAQ:

Why is my antigliadin antibody elevated if I have been on a gluten-free diet?

There are several reasons why an antigliadin antibody test can be positive despite being on a gluten free diet. The most obvious reason is that there may be hidden gluten in the diet. Gluten is ubiquitous, and if a person does not prepare 100% of their own food, one can not guarantee no gluten intake. Hidden gluten in unsuspected sources or contaminating otherwise gluten-free foods is also possible. But more often, the values are indeed on the lower end of positive, and previous values may have been higher still. So in fact the "elevated value" in fact may represent a marked improvement over previous antibody levels. Sometimes, however, people are so immune suppressed from damage to the intestine and malnutrition that a gluten free diet actually can make the antibody values go up for a time, a reflection of enhanced immune function and response.

No, no, no, no.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Paper towels and plates are fine.

richard

Guest Zmom

this is in response to the Enterolab quote: I spoke to the lab after I got the new test results and since his numbers TRIPLED it is NOT the healing process "spike " that occurs.nor does my son have intestinal damage/severe malnutrition according to either test. There is no gluten (food) in my home,I work closely wih his pre-school and bring all his food. According to the person I talked to there would have to be a consistent exposure to gluten-not nessesarily in food for this to happen. My son has had Zero diarrhea for months. My son ,however, does have a lightsaber collection made from paper towel rolls. Since the Brawney rep. verified that there was definatly gluten on the rolls I am going to assume this is part of the problem. he is 4 and sometimes puts his hands in his mouth/nose. also when I called stop & shop market about Care One vinyl non-powdered gloves. They initially said no gluten but then the rep. called ME back and said they were not gluten free;which is what she was told by what ever dept. they get their info from.

I bring up the gloves because often customer service people often read from company statements Fortunatly she did a little research on her own.which is why I politely but firmly ask reps. if they could confirm that there is no gluten. Most are really nice and call me back.

Not trying to freak people out,not saying that this applies to all paper products. Seventh generation research the roll/ plates and said definately no gluten. Brawney happens to be the product I have always used.I eat the same diet as my son with the exception of coffee and gluten-free pasta sauce and my numbers went down almost to normal.So I really think the paper towels and gloves are PART of the problem. I am going thru the house room by room for possible gluten risks.

When you open a new roll of paper towels the first one or two stick because they don't want them to unravel. If you microwave with that paper towel or the last one on the roll that could get into the food if there is glu(e)ten present.

Interesting....I always cover my food with paper towels in the microwave and have gotten sick recently from an unknown source....maybe this is the culprit. I will start using wax paper instead, I think.

So I really think the paper towels and gloves are PART of the problem. I am going thru the house room by room for possible gluten risks.

When you open a new roll of paper towels the first one or two stick because they don't want them to unravel. If you microwave with that paper towel or the last one on the roll that could get into the food if there is glu(e)ten present.

wow thanks so much for the post and esp this one.

I'll use those paper plates since i cover with pt in the microwave too.

i sooooooo appreciate this post.

Others may think there is not validity to this..but hey, better to be save than sorry and the top part of the post makes sence with the glue.... :rolleyes:

Judy in Philly

My husband who does not have Celiac did not think this posting was stupid. We decided that the first couple of Brawny will be thrown out and when we get towards the end, he will take it into his garage work area to use them up. It is better to be safe then sorry. And our "sorry" hurts :lol: .

I also will be 'better safe than sorry' on this one. I use a lot of paper towels--in the microwave around food as well as for washing my hands in the kitchen. Last night, as I was changing the roll, I tossed out the last 2 squares and also the first one on the new roll. Good idea, though, to just put them in the garage for my husband or son to use out there--I'll be doing that from now on--hate to waste it. Maybe this will help decrease the 'unexplained gluten reactions' I sometimes get.

I also will be 'better safe than sorry' on this one. I'll be doing that from now on--hate to waste it. Maybe this will help decrease the 'unexplained gluten reactions' I sometimes get.

Hi guys

I just went down and told hubby-- who was going out the door in the pouring rain to go grocery shopping. to look for those paper plates. Then I saw the roll on the paper towels was empty. There sure was alot of glue on that last paper towel and esp on the cardboard roll. Well, I pitched it and put a new one on it and pulled the first 4 off and scrubed the kitchen floor with them....

NO ONE IN OUR HOUSE EATS OFF THE FLOOR.... :lol: but maybe my cat...he has not been dx'd with celiac disease but maybe I should look into it as he's 'a nut case'....Think the vet would say ---it's all in his head? :lol::lol:

Frankly, I'm glad for this post and good luck to you Zmom...your being a good detective for your son.

Lots of love flowing your way for you and your son.

Judy in Philly

Judy--I thought the same thing when I saw all the glue! I never gave it a second thought before--live and learn, I guess. This rain is a big letdown--especially after yesterday. Still not bad for Feb.

And yes, thanks zmom for letting us know :)

this is in response to the Enterolab quote: I spoke to the lab after I got the new test results and since his numbers TRIPLED it is NOT the healing process "spike " that occurs.nor does my son have intestinal damage/severe malnutrition according to either test. There is no gluten (food) in my home,I work closely wih his pre-school and bring all his food. According to the person I talked to there would have to be a consistent exposure to gluten-not nessesarily in food for this to happen. My son has had Zero diarrhea for months. My son ,however, does have a lightsaber collection made from paper towel rolls. Since the Brawney rep. verified that there was definatly gluten on the rolls I am going to assume this is part of the problem. he is 4 and sometimes puts his hands in his mouth/nose. also when I called stop & shop market about Care One vinyl non-powdered gloves. They initially said no gluten but then the rep. called ME back and said they were not gluten free;which is what she was told by what ever dept. they get their info from.

I bring up the gloves because often customer service people often read from company statements Fortunatly she did a little research on her own.which is why I politely but firmly ask reps. if they could confirm that there is no gluten. Most are really nice and call me back.

Not trying to freak people out,not saying that this applies to all paper products. Seventh generation research the roll/ plates and said definately no gluten. Brawney happens to be the product I have always used.I eat the same diet as my son with the exception of coffee and gluten-free pasta sauce and my numbers went down almost to normal.So I really think the paper towels and gloves are PART of the problem. I am going thru the house room by room for possible gluten risks.

You said the vinyl gloves have gluten in them? I am going to have to check mine. I am allergic to latex so I can't have them and if the vinyl ones have gluten now I am in big trouble. That means I am glutened everytime the dentist touches me....argggghhhh.

You said the vinyl gloves have gluten in them? I am going to have to check mine. I am allergic to latex so I can't have them and if the vinyl ones have gluten now I am in big trouble. That means I am glutened everytime the dentist touches me....argggghhhh.

Rusla

help me with this one i need it to

Called the dentist and was on line a long time.

They know i'm allergic to latex...now learned on here that the power in the gloves has gluten.

I know they use special goves for me...are they vinyl? I think they were blue.....and what about the 'damm barrier' it's latex right?

Have you found the thread that talks about all the things we have to ck like 'what they swab on the gum before novicane, the polish, the mouth wash etc. There was a great link on here but can't find it now.

Karen sent me one but didn't have the about stuff on it.

Can you find it? I think you've been on longer than me.

judy in Philly

sorry folks, go t off topic...

I'm going to the dentist in a couple of weeks, the first time since being gluten-free. Let me know what you find out Judy.

Yes, whoever researches the dentist stuff, please post a new topic that would be easily recognized. Last time I went, no cavities, but had them use a baking soda and water only scrub on me instead of paste and no rinse. They were fine doing it, but were a bit taken aback when I first told them about my celiac disease.

Rusla

help me with this one i need it to

Called the dentist and was on line a long time.

They know i'm allergic to latex...now learned on here that the power in the gloves has gluten.

I know they use special goves for me...are they vinyl? I think they were blue.....and what about the 'damm barrier' it's latex right?

Have you found the thread that talks about all the things we have to ck like 'what they swab on the gum before novicane, the polish, the mouth wash etc. There was a great link on here but can't find it now.

Karen sent me one but didn't have the about stuff on it.

Can you find it? I think you've been on longer than me.

judy in Philly

sorry folks, go t off topic...

They don't use stuff on my gums because they have to put me out to work on my teeth but I will find out about gloves etc. Actually on Monday I will be calling the dentist. There are rubber damns they use on me that are no latex.

My father-in-law actually MAKES Brawny paper towels and other products. I'll ask him about this......It never occured to me....

I'm not going to argue at all with anybody who wants to worry about the first couple and last couple of paper towels on a roll (I don't because the glue simply doesn't come off on your hands). BUT, paper towels and paper plates are definitely not made with gluten. They are safe. Believe me, you have a lot more to worry about if you eat out much. And if you eat at a fast food place you're really taking chances.

As for latex gloves at the dentist, the only way you'll know is to ask. The odds are very strong these gloves do NOT have gluten. I asked the first time I went and the ones my dentist uses have either cornstarch or cellulose. Most gloves do. And they definitely don't use oat flour. You should check on the gloves, but there's no reason to get paranoid about it.

richard

My father-in-law actually MAKES Brawny paper towels and other products. I'll ask him about this......It never occured to me....

that would be great

I'd sure appreciate it

Judy in Philly