This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Understanding test results

Lostkat

Lostkat Newbie

Hi, I appreciate anyone looking at this and letting me know what it means. I've had symptoms for a while, including anemia and suspiciously I was not anemic for the first time ever this summer when I cut out gluten. However I've been through months of gluten reintroduction, blood tests and an endoscopy and it still seems like they're all confused. These seem like the significant tests people need in the forum here. I have about 20 other results if anything is missing though. Thanks!

Screenshot_20200228-231040.png

Screenshot_20200228-231056.png

Screenshot_20200228-231124.png

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi lostcat,

The test shows you are deficient in IgA.  Since your body doesn't make much IgA antibodies so all the IgA type tests are meaningless.

For celiac blood testing the recommendation is 12 weeks of eating some amount of gluten daily.  For the endoscopy 2 weeks of eating gluten before testing is enough.

Some people don't show up on the tests but they still have celiac disease.

Lostkat Newbie

Hi, Thanks. I had an endoscopy after 6 weeks of being on wheat and the biopsy was negative. The blood tests after the endoscopy were my gastroenterologist's idea because my IgA was so low. I originally went in for ulcer like symptoms and they found I have GERD from the endoscopy but most the wheat tests were her idea. I told her I cut wheat out all summer and felt better digestively, mood, joints and my iron levels got better, and she decided to test for Celiac's. At the point I feel like I've just spent thousands and been on wheat for 12 weeks (because they forgot 2 of the above tests and didn't tell me til I was off wheat 2 weeks) for nothing and it'll be the same conclusion. I'm still planning on being gluten free regardless. Apparently low IgA is not that interesting in itself and it rarely has symptoms. 

Edited by Lostkat
GFinDC Veteran

There is a higher incidence of IgA deficiency in people with celiac disease.  So that is another possible indicator you might have it.

Going gluten-free is a good idea.  It may help but it surely won't hurt you.  in fact, if your health changes after going gluten-free that is a good indicator that your body has a problem with gluten.  There are more people with NCGS (non-celiac gluten intolerance) than there are with celiac.  But there is no medical test for NCGS.

Edited by GFinDC
Lostkat Newbie

Thank you! Very helpful. 

Fenrir Community Regular

If you are IgA deficient the Deminated tests are much better but chances are you probably would be negative on those too if your biopsy was negative. Either way, if you feel better gluten-free then keep doing it.