This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

father recently diagnosed at 60, need reassurance

Sara.AK

Sara.AK Newbie

Hi, I am new to the forum. My father was recently diagnosed at age 60 although he had GI symptoms for many years.

I have read a lot about celiac to support him with this. I realize that the prognosis is great and complications are very rare especially if he follows a gluten free diet which he plans on doing very strictly.

however, I am still worried especially as he was diagnosed late at this age although he doesn’t have any serious symptoms or issues.

anyone out there that you know of Officially diagnosed with celiac disease (villi damage like my father) in their mid life and lived a long, healthy and normal life free of celiac complications ? 

i am very very close with my father and in fact I am the one who has taken him to all his appointments leading to the diagnosis and At this point I just need some reassurance. 

Sara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RMJ Mentor

I was diagnosed almost 8 years ago at age 57 and am doing fine so far!

GFinDC Veteran

He should be fine.  But it can take months to recover from celiac damage.  So don't expect he will be completely better right away.  Often it seems people have worse symptoms from eating gluten after going gluten-free.  Even tiny amounts of gluten are enough to set off the immune reaction.

A good way to start the gluten-free diet is to stick with whole foods cooked at home.  Avoid processed foods, even gluten-free marked ones.  Also avoid all dairy and oats for 3 to 6 months.  There are dairy alternatives in grocery stores like almond, coconut, or cashew milk.

If you have an Aldi grocery nearby they sell gluten-free wraps that are ok.

He may be low on some vitamins and minerals.  The doctor should have tested him for that.  Vitamin D, B's and several minerals are often low. 

Fenrir Community Regular

Celiacs seem to live normal lifespans. Celiacs have a higher risk of GI cancer and non-Hodgkin lymphoma but the overall rate of cancer among Celiacs is pretty similar to non-celiacs. A strict gluten-free diet lowers the risk. So if he goes gluten-free he's at no higher risk for cancer than anyone else of similar age, lifestyle...ect. 

vvicin02 Enthusiast

I was diagnosed almost two years ago. I am a 62 year old male. I never really had symptoms but experienced low ferritin levels for years. Once I was tested and scoped it was clear why I had low levels. I went on a gluten-free diet after I was told I had celiac and after a year my ferritin levels went from 11 to 51. It can be a challenge for us to go on the diet at our age. I find the most difficult part is not eating out as much. My wife misses that. I learned how to cook and keep myself healthy by working out and staying active. Tell your father to hang in there. Men really do not talk about this much with friends or really take it seriously. It is nice that you are taking such concern about your fathers health.