This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Like Hershey's Bars?

danikali

danikali Enthusiast

Go to this link and you'll see what I mean:

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IronedOut Apprentice

Oops.

VydorScope Proficient

Must be missing something here? Whats wrong with that link?

chrissy Collaborator

i don't get it-------what is shocking?

christine

danikali Enthusiast

"A food intolerance is more common. It takes more time for the body to react, and the person can tolerate a small amount of the food without reacting. Examples of a food intolerance include lactose, sulfites, and celiac sprue."

It says that people with celiac sprue can handle a small amount of gluten. They're putting it in the same catagory as lactose intolerance. It's far more dangerous and if they don't KNOW this, and they don't treat celiac disease like a serious allergy, then there could be problems. That's all.

chrissy Collaborator

now i see! i didn't read that line before. they apparently don't understand that celiac is an autoimmune disease, not JUST an intolerance.

christine

danikali Enthusiast

Exactly. So if a whole company is under that mentality then how are we to be sure that anything from Hershey's is 100% safe?

I feel like so many people hear 'intolerance' and think of lactose intolerance and equate them to each other. That's why when I go out to a resturant, I tell them 'allergy' because I think that's how serious Celiac Disease is. One time I was going to tell the waiter, 'it could kill me if.......' hahah because I had just gotten through a bad glutening.......my friends were like, no! They won't want to cook for you then! Well, I ended up bringing my own food anyway..

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

You should contact them because Celiac Disease is an auto-immune disorder.

danikali Enthusiast
You should contact them because Celiac Disease is an auto-immune disorder.

You're right, I should so they can get it right because that's not safe. I will.

Rusla Enthusiast

I just had 10 hershey kisses before I got on line, I feel so sick now. Then I read this and now I am wondering, what is in those kisses, really. Someone told me most chocolate comanies (big commercial ones like Hershey etc.),use wheat as a binder but don't list it and now I wonder about Hershey.

danikali Enthusiast

Wow! I didn't know that! Hershey's might, considering they don't really think that Celiac spru is a big deal! HOw do you feel sick?

gointribal Enthusiast

Wow...so is someone going to find out about this? I've been eating hersheys cause I thought they were safe and I would never feel right after eating them. I am however still in the process of getting all gluten items out of my diet so I never put the two together

chrissy Collaborator

i was going to email them---but couldn't find and email address on that site.

christine

danikali Enthusiast

I couldn't find one either and it says that they close at 4:00 Eastern time. It's 4:30 so we'll have to wait for another day to let them know.

jenvan Collaborator

I'll call too (once I can breathe again...sinus infection :( ) What a lovely definition of food intolerance. :o Thanks Dani!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Wow! Thanks for warning us.

I just had 10 hershey kisses before I got on line, I feel so sick now. Then I read this and now I am wondering, what is in those kisses, really. Someone told me most chocolate comanies (big commercial ones like Hershey etc.),use wheat as a binder but don't list it and now I wonder about Hershey.

I wouldn't eat any more until you hear back from the company.

num1habsfan Rising Star

whoa thats kinda crazy!

~lisa~

chrissy Collaborator

i thought all food producers had a dietician on staff----their's must be somewhat misinformed.

christine

jerseyangel Proficient

Dani--thanks for calling this to our attention. I plan to call on Mon.--couldn't find an e-mail adress either. I, too, didn't feel right after eating their chocolate sometimes--but wasn't sure that's what it was. The Special Dark Syrup comes to mind--I stopped eating that altogether after getting sick more than once after eating it. And I knew it was the syrup because I only dipped banana into it.

Jen--hope you feel better--sinus infections suck :angry:

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I'll call too (once I can breathe again...sinus infection :( ) What a lovely definition of food intolerance. :o Thanks Dani!

Jen so that's why you were sick on Tues

How did the sad events go.

I was praying Thrus and Fri for you dear

judy

Go to this link and you'll see what I mean:

Open Original Shared Link

how could they do this to us????--- after all the phone calls I made and they seemed so sincerely symphatic....

Just did a cut and paste from the web site..maybe some else did it too b/c saw a reference to this issue on the thread..but this is it in RED....

How is a Food Intolerance different from a Food Allergy?

A food intolerance is more common. It takes more time for the body to react, and the person can tolerate a small amount of the food without reacting. Examples of a food intolerance include lactose, sulfites, and celiac sprue.

JUDY IN PHILLY :(

floridanative Community Regular

Thanks for your post Dani. I knew there was a reason I skipped a Hershy bar after seeing in the Delphi list that they can't say the mini candy bars are gluten free. I've had a few bites throughout the week of the 365 brand dark choc. bar and I feel better than ever so I'll stick with them from now on. Hershey's is out for me.

teebs in WV Apprentice

I am not interpreting this to mean that they don't take it seriously. I also don't think they are saying anything wrong. Isn't that how our disease works? Over time, it eventually sneaks up on us until eventually we are soooooooo sick. I could see where the wording could leave people thinking that this is not that serious of a disease, but I really don't think they are saying it is OK for celiacs to eat "a small amount" of gluten. I think they are just trying to explain the difference between an allergy and an intolerance. Those of us with this disease get that, but not everyone does.

I agree though that they should be contacted and asked to clarify this in their posting.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

VydorScope Proficient

Umm? Realy I have to say I still do not see anything wrong with what they said. Lots of ppl ingest very small amounts of gluten with no "reaction". Heck the CODEX standard for gluten free allows a very small gluten.

I just dont see what all the excitement is about. Maybe thier wording is not the best, but it is not realy wrong either.

psawyer Proficient

I read the whole content of the linked page. While I agree that it has a misunderstanding of intolerance, consider this:

They say that intolerance is not as severe as an allergy, as people with intolerance may be able to accept some exposure.

Logical conclusion: People with ALLERGIES can not accept ANY exposure.

The third section then says, and I quote:

"The Hershey Company strives to provide its consumers with accurate, reliable ingredient statements upon which consumers can make their purchase decision. The Hershey Company has an Allergy Task Force that ensures that the ingredient statements are always accurate, and that any allergen statements placed on the label is understandable."

So, they will tell us everything that is in the product in case we have allergies. They are doing the right thing, even if their reasoning is not perfect. I still feel comfortable with their products, because I can trust that nothing is omitted from the ingredient list. They don't need to understand WHY I need to avoid gluten. If they want to think I have an allergy, so be it. They will disclose ALL ingredients in plain language, and that is all that really matters to me.

VydorScope Proficient
They say that intolerance is not as severe as an allergy, as people with intolerance may be able to accept some exposure.

And this is TRUE. My wife can die from a SINGLE exposure to a nut. Even trace amount. Many ppl have. Its a whole different ball game.

Archived