• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

chrissy

Losing Too Much Weight Help!

Rate this topic

we saw the ped gi yesterday. molly looks great. kassie looks good, but has lost a little weight. the doc wasn't too concerned about them, but is is concerned about tianna. he just did her endo the week before christmas and yesterday she weighed about 8 lbs less than she had a month ago. she is only 73 lbs. he said she was the only one of the 3 that looks sick. we just haven't been able to get her to eat much. he gave us some high calorie drinks to have her try, but she said it made her gag. i am worried she is going to end up in the hospital being tube fed. does anyone havae any suggestions on how i can add ALOT of nutritious calories to my girls diet? the doc did have her get a blood draw to check her thyroid because her skin is dry and she is not sleeping well. i don't want to be a hovering mother------any suggestions?

christine

PediaSure... it's how we got Annika chubby again 3 cans a day plus reg food (gluten free reg food of course) we got WIC to pay for it since the dr. prescribed it, because it's expensive (something like $3 a can)

There are about 6 flavors all gluten and lactose free, they taste best cold, or partially frozen, you can also use them instead of milk in milk shakes and stuff too.

Hope everything works out.

I agree with the pediasure, they are great. My daughter loves them, but now we have to cut out dairy too.

Most kids like the chocolate especially.

Nut butters are good too for adding cals and fat, if they can be in your daughter's diet.

What about potatoes?

Hope this helps some,

Heather

the drink the doc gave us is thick and tastes like pediasure. i am going to try and use it in a milk shake---can anyone give me the name of a gluten free ice cream. i bought a bucket of ice cream and e-mailed the company---they replied and said they were sending my question to their dietician----and i never heard from her.

christine

These sound like good ideas for children.

Any ideas to help an adult losing weight rapidly? I am Gluten-free Casein-free and cannot eat soy in solid form, cannot eat most fruits except in very small quanitiy - no fruit juice except in very small quantity. I can't seem to find any food - that I can eat - that has any calories. I eat well and healthy but very limited calories. I have lost 25 pounds since last April - am now 105 lbs. I haven't a piece of clothing that fits and I am discouraged.

Help anyone? Claire

Any ideas to help an adult losing weight rapidly? I am Gluten-free Casein-free and cannot eat soy in solid form, cannot eat most fruits except in very small quanitiy - no fruit juice except in very small quantity. I can't seem to find any food - that I can eat - that has any calories. I eat well and healthy but very limited calories. I have lost 25 pounds since last April - am now 105 lbs. I haven't a piece of clothing that fits and I am discouraged.

Help anyone? Claire

can you have ensure? it's like adult pediasure, there are recipes on the pediasure page of how to make milkshakes, muffins ect. (you would have to modify them to make them gluten free though) also lots of statchy food can make you gain weight (potatoes ect.)

christine,

The question is why is your daughter not eating? Or is she eating? How old is she? I thought one time you posted and said you thought she may be depressed. WHat about nausea? Is she having that and can they treat her for it if she is? It sounds like she is probably depressed. I would be if I were her age and having to deal with all of this.

We are thinking of her and I guess you could try the pediasure. SOme of the junk they give you from the ped GI offices, well they are just down right nasty!!

Breyers is gluten free, minus the one's with cookies, etc. , but they will list whether there is wheat in the ingredient list.

If she lost 8 pounds in a month, she really does need help.

What does she eat now? Maybe if you tell us, we can think of some things you haven't thought of maybe.

Hope she gets better soon.

Monica

Claire,

When I dropped an additional 10 pounds this summer, I drank 2 Ensures a day and 2 Frappachinos' (sp). Both had a great many calories. The Ensure has soy and the Fraps have dairy, both of which I am allergic to. But, I needed to do something fast as I have found if I drop too much additional weight and don't get it back on fast, then it stays off of me. I just could not eat all the calories that were necessary to add the weight. I did put 7 or 8 pounds of it back on. But, my wheezing got so bad, that I had to back off, otherwise, I probably would have been able to get the whole 10 pounds back. Hopefully you could handle the ingredients in both of these drinks. Good Luck!!

tianna is not earing very much, but she is not nauseated. she has rashes all over-----her rashes are what started our families celiac diagnosis. when i was looking up rashes on the internet i ran across DH and discovered her rashes fit the pattern. i think that she has probably been sick for some time, but because my baby was having so much trouble i just didn't see that she was sick. funny thing----my baby was failure to thrive for so long and we were trying to get weight on her so that she wouldn't have to have a g-tube. as soon as we got her health problems fixed we got a new bucket load of problems and another child that isn't gaining weight. i don't know if i am supposed to put emphasis on calories or nutrition right now.

christine

Help anyone? Claire

avocados? peanut butter? meats? coconut?