This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten in Spices

Must be gluten free

Must be gluten free Newbie

Actually, I am someone with a very bad case of Celiac. If I get just a little gluten my lungs instantly become inflamed and very painful. I have discovered that many many spices are bulked you with wheat and rarely say so on the packaging. Most will say things like “spices” “ spice blends” “spice medley” etc... these are all code for, “ probably contains wheat” I have learned this the hard way. If you have a serious or sever reaction to gluten, please stay away from any spice that have these written on the packaging, unless the packaging says, “gluten free”.  Better safe than sorry. Trust me.?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

I disagree. I use McCormick spices, but only the single, one-ingredient, versions —  no mixes.  I have never had a gluten problem with them.  How do know for sure?  I had a repeat endoscopy/biopsies and have completely healed from celiac disease.  

How long have you been gluten free?  Did you know that it takes up to a year or longer to heal?  That you can develop additional intolerances or allergies with active celiac disease?  For example, my lactose intolerance resolved within a year of being gluten free, but i still  can not consume onions or garlic and it has been six years since I was diagnosed.  

Please do not take offense, if you have been at the diet for a long time.  But it might be something else.  I found that out.  I thought for sure I was getting gluten exposures.  But that repeat endoscopy revealed otherwise. I did get diagnosed with autoimmune gastritis despite a healthy small intestine.  I learned that not everything was due to gluten.  If you have one autoimmune disorder, you can develop more or have other illnesses like SIBO.  

• 3 weeks later...
AuntieE Explorer

McCormick are no good for me either. I've been healed a long time, on the fasano diet. No gluten ingredients does not equal gluten free

cyclinglady Grand Master
31 minutes ago, AuntieE said:

McCormick are no good for me either. I've been healed a long time, on the fasano diet. No gluten ingredients does not equal gluten free

I read that you have DH (Dermatitis Herpetiformis).  Those who have DH (based on Celiac.com members) say they must be super strict and they often suspect that 20 ppm might be too much for them.  They tend to avoid even gluten-free labeled products and certainly products that do not contain gluten ingredients.   

If I had DH, I would not even risk using spices.   Why?  My last bout with autoimmune hives lasted six months.  I hear DH is unbearably itchy.  At least my hives responded to antihistamines.  It did not stop them, but made the itching more bearable.  

I am sorry that you are so sensitive.  There must be a way you can get access to fresh veggies (read that elsewhere on the forum).  Can you talk to a grocer?  Maybe they can set aside some for you before they are sold out.  

AuntieE Explorer

I personally only eat root ginger, root tumeric. I don't use dried herbs and spices anymore. 

No, there's no way to ask anyone to hold anything back for me. It's got pretty bad. Its ok. I've still a few potatoes, butter, ghee. I'm just hungry not dangerously so. 

Beverage Rising Star

Spicely brand https://www.spicely.com/ is certified gluten free. I have used theirs and it's good.  This brand is not everywhere, but you can order online. They even have vanilla extract made with sugarcane alcohol, not grain alcohol.

I also order from http://mortonbassett.com/.  These are marked Gluten Free now (they didn't used to be), but they are not certified gluten-free.  I use a lot of herbs and spices and have never had a problem with theirs.