This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Covid 19 and gluten-free product shortage

trents

kanucme2019 Apprentice

As far as finding gluten free products in my stores in Florida (Walmart, Target), I have had no problems.  I went last week to stock up and went again today to get more.  Maybe its because there is not a big demand for gluten free products in my area yet.  I have bought more than normal and stored them in my freezer or pantry in case they will not be re-stock soon.  As long as we have electricity and my freezer keeps working, I will be all set for several weeks. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• trents

• AuntieE

• cyclinglady

• mbrookes

Top Posters In This Topic

• trents

trents 16 posts

• AuntieE

AuntieE 9 posts

• cyclinglady

cyclinglady 8 posts

• mbrookes

mbrookes 7 posts

Posted Images

AshleeH Newbie
On 3/27/2020 at 3:35 PM, AuntieE said:

I am on the fasano diet, plus nut allergy. I only eat fruit, veg, egg, ghee, a tiny amount of dairy or I hurt. Pascha chocolate in small amounts. If I don't stick to this I am very unwell. So, I guess this is not going to go well for me

I am sorry you are not feeling well AuntieE. There are gluten free online options. Edward and Sons Instant Mashed potatoes are certified gluten free, and available for purchase online. Vegan Smart All In One nutritional shake is a gluten free protein powder that contains many vitamins, and it is available online for purchase. Hopefully the websites Vitacost, iHerb and All Star Health have more gluten free options available in the next few weeks. 

mommida Enthusiast
On 3/19/2020 at 7:04 PM, trents said:

I hope the general population doesn't all of a sudden decide to go gluten-free!

It is a really good thing gluten free products have a BAD reputation right now.  Every one thinks they taste terrible and the price is so much higher.

AuntieE Explorer

I've not been able to eat even certified free gluten free processed food for years. Without fail that rash flares up. I'm nursing an awful outbreak right now because I tried out some certified products.

It's ok. I either find fresh veg and eggs or I dont. There's still potatoes. 

I'm not asking for practical help. I'll think of something. 

trents Grand Master

Unfortunately, "gluten-free" doesn't cover all the bases for those with celiac disease and other gluten-related reactions but who suffer insensitivity to other ingredients which are common to processed foods. But still, I'm very grateful that the food industry has now given us so many gluten free offerings with flavor and texture qualities that approximate their gluten containing counterparts.

Porta Celi Newbie

It is true and I'm also thankful for that. Most of all, I'm grateful for the abundance of ingredients and recipes that can be used to experiment with and be able to produce your own goods. I don't know if it will happen, but one of the wishes in my bucket list is to go to a Cordon Bleu like pastry school and learn how to bake gluten-free croissants that look, feel and taste just like their glutenous counterparts OR better. I have had them in Paris (Hotel Sofitel La Defense), but wasn't able to find out where the pastries came from. They were special ordered. 

My kids and grand kids (none of them have issues with gluten), when they come home for breakfast or dinner always ask me to fix them gluten-free/DF waffles or pancakes. My wife likes to brag about them by saying that they are better than her mom's glutenous ones. 

Jim Rockford Rookie

Just for information, glutenfreemall is overwhelmed and not shipping for weeks. Plus, for customers on the west coast shipping is extremely expensive. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

Bob's Red Mill out of Portland, OR area has been and continues to be out of all types of hot breakfast cereals and prepackaged baking mix products. Anything you could sink your teeth into is gone.

Sometime ago my wife bought a 2 lb. can of powered whole eggs for like $20. It's now selling on Amazon for like $97.

icelandgirl Proficient
2 minutes ago, trents said:

Bob's Red Mill out of Portland, OR area has been and continues to be out of all types of hot breakfast cereals and prepackaged baking mix products. Anything you could sink your teeth into is gone.

Sometime ago my wife bought a 2 lb. can of powered whole eggs for like $20. It's now selling on Amazon for like $97.

Ugh!  I can't stand price gouging!  So much greed!☹️

Scott Adams Grand Master
1 hour ago, Jim Rockford said:

Just for information, glutenfreemall is overwhelmed and not shipping for weeks. Plus, for customers on the west coast shipping is extremely expensive. 

They advertise free shipping on dry orders over $39, and only $15.99 for frozen, which is a great deal. When I heard from them last week they were only a few days behind on shipping out orders, but I'll double check that.

Porta Celi Newbie
2 hours ago, trents said:

3 hours ago, trents said:

Smart Food Services in Idaho Falls, ID carries several gluten-free single and flour mixes from Bob's Red Mills in the 25 lbs bags. I bought several bags before the mad rush. They were out of stock for about 10 days, but now they are back to normal. Staying at home with plenty of everything gives me an opportunity to practice and get closer to my baking goals. I am also helping quite a few people in this area who depend on commercially baked products and shelves are empty. My recommendation would be for you to find ways to become less dependent of outside sources or find a local baker that you can rely on, particularly in situations like the one we're going through. I wish y'all the best!!

Cinnamon Rolls.webp

GF and DF Regular Bread.webp

cyclinglady Grand Master
3 hours ago, Porta Celi said:

Smart Food Services in Idaho Falls, ID carries several gluten-free single and flour mixes from Bob's Red Mills in the 25 lbs bags. I bought several bags before the mad rush. They were out of stock for about 10 days, but now they are back to normal. Staying at home with plenty of everything gives me an opportunity to practice and get closer to my baking goals. I am also helping quite a few people in this area who depend on commercially baked products and shelves are empty. My recommendation would be for you to find ways to become less dependent of outside sources or find a local baker that you can rely on, particularly in situations like the one we're going through. I wish y'all the best!!

Cinnamon Rolls.webp

GF and DF Regular Bread.webp

That looks yummy.  I baked cranberry orange scones this afternoon.  They were delicious.  I should not be baking at all, but my kid is home studying online.  Need to keep up her spirits!  ?

Porta Celi Newbie
8 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

That looks yummy.  I baked cranberry orange scones this afternoon.  They were delicious.  I should not be baking at all, but my kid is home studying online.  Need to keep up her spirits!  ?

I've baked scones before and they came out pretty good too. This was the third/fourth attempt to making cinnamon rolls and, according to my wife, they were pretty darn good. I believe that making a couple more changes to the last recipe, they will be as good as the glutenous kind. I was born and raised in Sevilla, Spain, so bake goods such as scones, cinnamon rolls and doughnuts (my next challenge) were not part of my growing up. I love cooking and, definitely, baking has been a therapy as well as a challenge to overcome the frustration of living without gluten. How come that you should not be baking? Baking is good for the soul!!   

mbrookes Community Regular
On 3/17/2020 at 3:46 PM, trents said:

What are you finding when shopping for gluten-free food products since the Corona virus outbreak?

My wife and I went to online order some things from Bob's Red Mill this morning and found that most of the gluten-free products we normally purchase from them were out of stock.

Is this due to hoarding or production issues created by work force absenteeism or some of both? 

This experience created a concern for me in that the gluten-free population represents a niche market to begin with and we have fewer alternatives than most people.

Products I normally get from Amazon in two or three days are now going to take 3 weeks. I looked at Gluten Free Mall and everything I looked for was out. I am going to have a hard time eating.

cyclinglady Grand Master
On 4/8/2020 at 4:04 AM, Porta Celi said:

I've baked scones before and they came out pretty good too. This was the third/fourth attempt to making cinnamon rolls and, according to my wife, they were pretty darn good. I believe that making a couple more changes to the last recipe, they will be as good as the glutenous kind. I was born and raised in Sevilla, Spain, so bake goods such as scones, cinnamon rolls and doughnuts (my next challenge) were not part of my growing up. I love cooking and, definitely, baking has been a therapy as well as a challenge to overcome the frustration of living without gluten. How come that you should not be baking? Baking is good for the soul!!   

Baking is good for the soul, but not for blood sugar — at least for me!  

cyclinglady Grand Master
52 minutes ago, mbrookes said:

Products I normally get from Amazon in two or three days are now going to take 3 weeks. I looked at Gluten Free Mall and everything I looked for was out. I am going to have a hard time eating.

Just eat naturally gluten-free foods like meats, fish, veggies, fruits, nuts, alternative grains (e.g. rice), dairy, eggs, the list is long.  All available at a regular grocery store.  Or am I missing something?  

trents Grand Master

Well, this may turn out to be an involuntary weight loss program for some.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
4 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Baking is good for the soul, but not for blood sugar — at least for me!  

Depends on what flours and sweeteners you using, I use Almond and Coconut Flours with Swerve Sweetener. Although I have been experimenting with Pecan Flour recently.....makes great chocolate chip cookies.

Edited by Ennis_TX
cyclinglady Grand Master
7 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

Depends on what flours and sweeteners you using, I use Almond and Coconut Flours with Swerve Sweetener. Although I have been experimenting with Pecan Flour recently.....makes great chocolate chip cookies.

Alas, I have nut allergies!  ?

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, cyclinglady said:

Alas, I have nut allergies!  ?

Good Dees makes mixes with Sunflower seed flour nut free and diabetic friendly.
https://www.gooddees.com/collections/nut-free-mixes

Edited by Ennis_TX
Brittney Falletta Newbie
1 hour ago, Ennis_TX said:

Good Dees makes mixes with Sunflower seed flour nut free and diabetic friendly.
https://www.gooddees.com/collections/nut-free-mixes

Also available on Amazon!  https://www.amazon.com/s?k=good+dees&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 

MauraThomas Rookie

It's crazy out there. ? I use a lot of Bob's Red Mill products and luckily grabbed a few at the start, but I worry they will run out and there'll be nothing left. Like someone else mentioned, Amazon has a few gluten-free items but they now take weeks to arrive. If someone gets really desperate, Ensure drinks are gluten free and, although too sweet, will at least help with your nutrition needs. Good luck!

AuntieE Explorer

I can't even drink ensure without the rash flaring up. This situation is what I was worried about and got mocked and dismissed. 

Logan883 Newbie

I think there is should be state policy for marking food "gluten free", and they should control it.

Edited by Logan883
mbrookes Community Regular

Actually, there are national standards as to what can be marked gluten free. I don't remember all the rules now, but I do remember it sounded reasonable. Mbatchany products that are gluten-free are not marked because the companies don't want to go to the trouble and/or expense of testing every batch. That's where your label reading comes in.