Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
trents

Covid 19 and gluten-free product shortage

Rate this topic

And then there is the other extreme in gluten free labeling where you are seeing it tagged to food groups that would be naturally gluten free anyway like milk and OJ. Of course, that is marketing for you.

They do that so they can raise the price. We are used to paying a premium price for gluten-free food, so why not mark plain old potato chips gluten free and jack up the price? I don't begrudge their making a profit, but I do mind being taken advantage of.

7 minutes ago, mbrookes said:

They do that so they can raise the price. We are used to paying a premium price for gluten-free food, so why not mark plain old potato chips gluten free and jack up the price? I don't begrudge their making a profit, but I do mind being taken advantage of.

This is very true for many products. If I remember correctly I have seen water that was labeled gluten-free. For some items it is necessary because taking your example of potato chips they could be fried in something that could contain wheat to make them shiny or crisp or whatever else. Also some chips like Pringles are processed. I think that if they just add the gluten-free to make the product more marketable without increasing the price, so be it. 

2 minutes ago, AuntieE said:

20ppm is too high, and naturally gluten free or no gluten ingredients is worthless.

This is a little harsh. Some do not react up 200ppm which was originally the recommendation. For most 20ppm is acceptable but indeed some react to as little as 5ppm. To keep the standard to 5ppm is adding a lot of cost to the process and then gluten free products become might even more expensive. As it is, I am sure that for many who are not in a financially good position, buying only gluten free products can be a real financial burden. It is also true that naturally gluten free might not be gluten free if during the process, the ingredients got contaminated.

Maybe time to brush up on the FDA regulations for labeling a product gluten free:

https://www.fda.gov/food/nutrition-education-resources-materials/gluten-and-food-labeling

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

(BIG) MAYBE. Regulations are necessary to establish a common foundation with basic allergens removed from the recipe (gluten, dairy, nuts, eggs). If FDA starts regulating EVERY SINGLE POTENTIAL ALLERGEN (Soy, fruits, other nuts, natural additives/flavors, honey, the air that we breathe, the water that we drink, etc., etc., etc.), there will be NOTHING left for industrial or niche bakeries to work with, in order to manufacture goods that anyone can eat. So, if you want more regulation, go ahead and promote that, but also think about the potential negative outcomes that these added regulations will have on whatever freedom is left in this already heavily regulated market. An (my) alternative to more regulation would be to work with local providers, who can be more flexible to manufacture goods which "agree" with your dietary needs. (BIG) OR be prepared for the next event and learn how to become self sufficient:

On May 17, 2014, Admiral William H. McRaven addressed the graduating class of the University of Texas at Austin on their Commencement day. Taking inspiration from the university's slogan, "What starts here changes the world," he shared the ten principles he learned during Navy Seal training that helped him overcome challenges not only in his training and long Naval career, but also throughout his life; and he explained how anyone can use these basic lessons to change themselves-and the world-for the better.

"Nothing can replace the strength and comfort of one's faith, but sometimes the simple act of making your bed can give you the lift you need to start your day and provide you the satisfaction to end it right. If you want to change your life and maybe the world - start off by making your bed! 

I don't particularly want more regulation. I simply wonder where all the food has gone. I see on TV that farmers are dumping milk and plowing under their crops. What? People have quit eating? They are dumping milk but our grocery stores don't have milk. Some things just are not making sense to me. 

14 minutes ago, mbrookes said:

I don't particularly want more regulation. I simply wonder where all the food has gone. I see on TV that farmers are dumping milk and plowing under their crops. What? People have quit eating? They are dumping milk but our grocery stores don't have milk. Some things just are not making sense to me. 

The supply chain for crops and goods were long established (contracts) before this pandemic occurred.  For example, many crops were grown specifically for restaurants and schools (now closed).  How does the farmer figure out how to get those crops safely to a consumer?  Offer it for free and see people stampeding to fields and thus causing more viral spread?   How can he accept retail payment (pay sales taxes) when he is only set up to receive checks?   Even food pantries are not equipped to handle large quantities of perishable food.  

It is sad that this is happening, but the same thing is also happening to farmers in China in other countries.  

Here is a solution.  One company, Produce Box Direct,  is trying to step up.  They started working with a list of restaurant wholesale produce suppliers (the list is growing).  The website, Produce Box Direct, has the capability to process retail orders.  The wholesale company get sell his produce that was ordered long before the pandemic.  I have one in my area.  I placed my order and pickup time.  Drove to the industrial part of town, and my fruit and veggies were loaded into my car by warehouse workers (you just get a selection commonly given to restaurants) and off you go.  Easy.  Look for one in your area.  

I got several onions (can not eat those), so I shared with my neighbors.  Very reasonably priced!  Super fresh, better than the grocery store!  

Anemia -- Resolved

Diabetes -- January 2014

I think another unfortunate thing we'll see with this covid-19 shelter in place, and subsequent economic impact, is that some really great, mostly smaller companies, will go out of business. I just heard that a local favorite ice cream maker, Three Twins, will be going out of business:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/Three-Twins-ice-cream-company-closes-citing-15208527.php 

Scott Adams

Founder Celiac.com

20 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

It could be related to milk prices, which have shot through the roof...we're paying over $6 per gallon here, and that's over twice our gas prices, which are the highest in the country.

Wow!  

So Cal is just $3.19 a gallon for whole milk at Costco.  My kid only likes their brand.  We once did a taste test with grocery store brands and even a local dairy.  Costco won.  We determined the taste might be superior due to the high turnover — much fresher.  

Your area milk price is outrageous.  ?

Anemia -- Resolved

Diabetes -- January 2014

Haven't noticed the milk prices changing much where we live in SW Washington State and we even have a local Dairygold plant. There is a lot of milk produced locally here so prices may be tied to nearness to suppliers.

As for produce, we are very lucky in that crops are beginning to come in for the truck farmers. I am in central Mississippi. We have a local farmers. market which usually in not crowded and everyone seems very conscious of social distancing. Yesterday I got sweet corn, green beans, egg plant, strawberries, onions, potatoes and sweet potatoes. All very fairly priced. Tomatoes should be ready soon. So I won't make y'all too jealous, prepared gluten-free food are totally scarce. Our Whole Foods has one small freezer with a few loaves of bread and a few cakes. Crackers are like hen's teeth.

1 hour ago, mbrookes said:

As for produce, we are very lucky in that crops are beginning to come in for the truck farmers. I am in central Mississippi. We have a local farmers. market which usually in not crowded and everyone seems very conscious of social distancing. Yesterday I got sweet corn, green beans, egg plant, strawberries, onions, potatoes and sweet potatoes. All very fairly priced. Tomatoes should be ready soon. So I won't make y'all too jealous, prepared gluten-free food are totally scarce. Our Whole Foods has one small freezer with a few loaves of bread and a few cakes. Crackers are like hen's teeth.

That's incredible! Where I live we can't even put any warm weather garden plants outside until the middle of May. Ripe Tomatoes aren't available until early August. Sweet corn maybe early September. I am envious.

Processed food is not possible for me at all. I get very sick. I fear others eating all this kinda but not really gluten free food are setting themselves up for severe health issues. Just because your symptoms are minimal does not mean you are NOT getting damage. My bad symptoms are a blessing. As for food, I'm living off veg, canned fish, and eggs when I can get em. Gotta keep weight on, but doing ok. I'm glad I took this seriously early on. 

Edited by AuntieE

1 minute ago, trents said:

So AuntieE, I'm assuming this gluten free product scarcity is not affecting you much since you don't use processed foods that are labeled gluten-free anyway. 

Eggs are scarce, meat too expensive now, canned fish is in very low supply, veg is not plentiful. I'm having to ration and am dropping weight. I can eat pascha chocolate, or could if there was any on shelves. Ditto wholesome brand sugar. I could eat dried fruit if ppm was better controlled but thanks to all of you that don't mind no controls over gluten free food and allergens, I can't even eat that. 

4 minutes ago, AuntieE said:

Eggs are scarce, meat too expensive now, canned fish is in very low supply, veg is not plentiful. I'm having to ration and am dropping weight. I can eat pascha chocolate, or could if there was any on shelves. Ditto wholesome brand sugar. I could eat dried fruit if ppm was better controlled but thanks to all of you that don't mind no controls over gluten free food and allergens, I can't even eat that. 

Check MyGerbs, they specialize in allergy free snacks and have dried fruits and seeds.

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

1 hour ago, AuntieE said:

So you're saying a bag of raisins may have gluten contamination? Never thought about that and I've never heard of that being brought up in gluten-free circles. For that matter, I guess the air we breathe could have gluten in it, especially if you lived in a wheat producing farm area.

Yes, my rash comes up with dried fruit. Naturally gluten free doesn't mean anything. Shared lines and the like. May 13th delivery for Gerbs. Amazon also far off for sunny fruit. 

It's not gluten free enough. I hope you wiseacres never develop DH. Youall deserve the stomach cancer you are gonna get

What a lovely thing to say. I hope you never have any other problems. You also might want to investigate the myriad ways emotions effect physical conditions. That might be where your greatest problems are.