Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
trents

Covid 19 and gluten-free product shortage

Rate this topic

Getting back on topic here, do labeling laws in the U.S. require that "naturally gluten free" foods contain warnings when they are being processed on equipment that may also be used for processing foods that contain gluten bearing grains? Seems to me that I commonly read that warning on things like confections that are processed on equipment also used for processing wheat, barley and rye. I just have always assumed dried fruit and many other non grain food crops would be taking an entirely different transport and processing route as these other foods where we are warned about the possibility of gluten cross contamination. But I certainly could be wrong.

I am also aware that Celiacs who work in grain storage areas, flour mills and bakeries can experience gluten ingestion from breathing the air in these settings because the grain dust winds up in the airway mucous lining and gets swallowed. This is what I was referring to in my earlier reply to AuntieE about the possible danger of getting glutened from breathing the air in breadbasket farming areas where from pollen and harvesting activities there might be a high enough concentration in the air to create a problem for some Celiacs. But I think I was misunderstood.

That's why I don't go in the pizza place when my brother gets pizza Trents.  I think the flour/gluten in the air can be ingested through breathing.

AuntieE, you can get canned fish on Amazon.

Edited by GFinDC

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

@trents

Those “shared on or made in a factory” allergen statements are voluntary per my understanding.  

https://www.allergicliving.com/2014/01/06/may-contains-on-food-labels-what-you-need-to-know/

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

15 hours ago, AuntieE said:

Eggs are scarce, meat too expensive now, canned fish is in very low supply, veg is not plentiful. I'm having to ration and am dropping weight. I can eat pascha chocolate, or could if there was any on shelves. Ditto wholesome brand sugar. I could eat dried fruit if ppm was better controlled but thanks to all of you that don't mind no controls over gluten free food and allergens, I can't even eat that. 

AuntieE,

I suffer from DH.  I have found that foods high in iodine will trigger my rash.  Foods high in iodine such as eggs and fish and pork make my DH flare.  

My rash is also triggered by a sulfite hypersensitivity. Medications containing sulfites, as well as foods containing sulfites or sulfite preservatives will make the rash worsen.  Sulfites naturally occur on some fruits, like grapes which turn into raisins and drying seemingly concentrates the sulfites.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4017440/

My DH rash is also pressure sensitive.  Before I figured it out, I would get DH blisters on the palms of my hands after I went to the grocery store.  It was the pressure on the cart handle that made the blisters come out.  Even writing with a pen would cause blisters.  Not to mention clothing....any where there was elastic or tightness, I got DH blisters.  

AuntieE, my heart goes out to you.  I understand how frustrating it is to see food as potentially harmful.  I pray your journey goes more smoothly.

And....a Cross contamination article....to read and discuss.....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3236470/

A bit of a idea came to me, but it seems some of us have better access to many foods in more abundance then others, perhaps we should set up a sharing/shipping post? For instance down here in Texas where I am the stores are well stocked with canned goods, canned fish, canned meats, nuts, the Entire gluten-free section in my local walmart is stocked, etc. (amusingly we have shortages in TP, Paper towels, and ammo)  I mean flat rate USPS box with canned goods, dried foods, canned meats, etc. would be easy, and the person wanting it would just have to pay the cost via receipt picture and flat rate shipping. Due to COVID concerns I would say leave the package alone for 48 hours before opening if you do not have a UV-C decon room. Payments via stuff like Google Pay, or Paypal would be easy enough, heck could do the paypal as a gift and avoid fees.

Edited by Ennis_TX

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

What a great idea, Ennis!  

You may have found a new career!  Care packages for Celiacs!  

I'll make a donation for a care package to AuntieE.  Let's stimulate the economy!

We need more "people helping people" stories on the news these days!

Proud of you, Ennis! Well said!

Ennis, great idea.

My first post in this website was very much related to yours, but it was blocked due to an issue of self promotion. I am gluten and dairy intolerant, allergic, whatever and have been successfully baking and cooking for people with similar issues for the last 2-3 years. I posted my FB and Instagram pages just in case anyone could benefit from the same type food or baked goods that I can eat, but it was blocked Rules prevailed against a self promotion issue, rather than an attempt to help people with needs that could not access their foods in their usual stores. I'm glad to see that there are like minded people out there and also people that promote the support of local markets, which ultimately are the ones we need to get help from, in order to fill our basic necessities. I take care of people in need and that's all.

22 hours ago, AuntieE said:

Yes, my rash comes up with dried fruit. Naturally gluten free doesn't mean anything. Shared lines and the like. May 13th delivery for Gerbs. Amazon also far off for sunny fruit. 

It's not gluten free enough. I hope you wiseacres never develop DH. Youall deserve the stomach cancer you are gonna get

Have you considered that it may not be gluten that is impacting you with things like dried fruit? You may be sensitive to more than just gluten. Sulfites might be the issue with the dried fruits. In addition you mention DH. I had severe DH and iodine would cause a flare even if what I ate was gluten free. I also found that soy would cause a gluten like reaction but since you say you eat no processed foods that is not likely and issue for you at this time. With all the difficulty you are having I hope you have been in contact with the doctor that diagnosed you. You may have more going on than just celiac. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

On 4/19/2020 at 3:34 PM, AuntieE said:

Yes, my rash comes up with dried fruit. Naturally gluten free doesn't mean anything. Shared lines and the like. May 13th delivery for Gerbs. Amazon also far off for sunny fruit. 

It's not gluten free enough. I hope you wiseacres never develop DH. Youall deserve the stomach cancer you are gonna get

AuntiE,

You might try searching the DH forum section....

Here is a couple good threads about DH.....

As for the Raisins'.....Knitty Kitty has given you good advise I believe....look into sulfites....

Many dried fruits have them and people react to them....

Many people who react to Sulfites are low in Molybdenum....

Here is an article about it....

http://www.orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1984/pdf/1984-v13n02-p105.pdf

If this doesn't help you I would suggest you start a new thread on DH....

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advise.

Posterboy,