This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New to Celiac

nerpyderb

nerpyderb Newbie

This might be in the wrong place - but I was diagnosed with celiac right before coronavirus shut everything down. My follow-up appointment that would have given me information on how to handle my diagnosis has been canceled. To make things worse it is really hard to change my diet with the shelves empty. Does anyone have any advice on how to shop gluten-free during a pandemic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

It sounds like you had bad luck on the timing for your diagnosis, but at least you can now move towards improving your health.

One of the sponsors of this site, The Gluten-Free Mall, is open and filling orders. Of course there is also Amazon and others. At this point it might be easier (and safer) to order online than to try to find things are the store.

nerpyderb Newbie
34 minutes ago, Scott Adams said:

It sounds like you had bad luck on the timing for your diagnosis, but at least you can now move towards improving your health.

One of the sponsors of this site, The Gluten-Free Mall, is open and filling orders. Of course there is also Amazon and others. At this point it might be easier (and safer) to order online than to try to find things are the store.

Thank you! I've been searching through Amazon but I don't know what their best gluten-free products do you have any suggestions?

cyclinglady Grand Master

Hi!  

No worries about obtaining gluten free products.  Think simple non-processed foods.  Like veggies, fruit, meats, fish, rice, dairy, nuts, etc. all found at your local grocery store.    Save processed gluten-free foods for treats or when you are feeling better (those too can be found at your local grocery store.  A damaged gut can have issues digesting anything.  If you do not suffer from GI issues, then go ahead and consume gluten-free processed foods now.  Best to look for labeled gluten-free items as learning to read labels, takes time.   Avoid oats, all oats, for at least six months as some celiacs react to them.  Keep a food and symptom journal as many celiacs have additional intolerances or allergies.  A journal can help identify them.   Lactose is the most common.  Corn and soy are also mentioned the most on this forum.

Know that gluten-free breads and cookies are going to taste weird.   Best to take time and forget what real wheat bread tastes like.  

Research!  Read, read, read about the gluten-free diet and cross contamination.  Welcome to the forum.  

Here is what I ate today (it is spring break for my university student, so we are indulging):

Breakfast:  Coffee.  Congee (rice porridge made in my instant Pot).  Sweet version since I topped with cinnamon, honey, raisins and cream.    Plain yogurt with cream.  Eggs with cheese for hubby.  

Lunch:  Butternut Squash Soup, burger patties with cheese, certified gluten-free potato chips (Kettle brand).  

Dinner:  Chicken Rice Soup, salad and banana pudding for dessert

Congee (rice porridge)

Scott Adams Grand Master

Yes to everything above...and for pasta it is hard to beat Barilla or Schar pastas. Many people like Canyon Bakehouse and Three Bakers for sandwich breads. Costco sells many pre-made items, they also have GF bread and prepare frozen pizzas.

nerpyderb Newbie

Thank you so much for the advice! My grocery store is out of many of those items - do you have any suggestions for me until things get better? I understand that this is a stressful time for everyone, every time I go to the grocery store they seem to be out of gluten-free products (also almost everything)

I know I will not feel well for a while (until I get official medical advice and the grocery shelves are no longer empty) but I'm hoping to find some cheap gluten free items I can hopefully survive on until all this calms down. 

I'm so sorry for being intense but this is super new for me and I will not have any medical advice on this for a long time. Thank you so much for any advice y'all are willing to give me!

Scott Adams Grand Master

Here are some articles that might help...some are older but still helpful:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

There must be some fruit and veggies.  What about rice?  Brown or white?  gluten-free pasta?  Classico spaghetti sauce?  Frozen plain veggies. Tuna packed in oil, canned chicken (one is labeled gluten-free), canned salmon, chicken, some deli meats.  The list is endless.  I think you just need to take a deep breath and relax.  Make a list.  Start shopping the outer edge of the store and then hit the middle aisles.  

Even Walmart has a small dedicated gluten-free section. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

You can order food online using Instacart.  I ordered some things for same day delivery from Costco.  I wanted to test it out for my parents who are in their 80s and shopping is not necessarily a good thing for them to do right now.  I got my food within five hours.  Paid more, but no line.  This will work well for my parents who actually can use Uber!  

Are you in the US?  

nerpyderb Newbie

I am in the US but unfortunately I lost my job and money is very tight right now. I will read those articles tonight, thank you so much for showing them to me! Thank you for telling me about instant cart and hopefully walmart will be better stocked than my local store. Thank you all for being so supportive to me during this weird time!

cyclinglady Grand Master

Beans and rice.  Just sort the beans on a cookie sheet.  Wash, rinse, and soak over night before cooking.  Nutritious and cheap.  Corn tortillas.    Frozen veggies ( no sauces) are good and cheap.   Gluten free does not have to be expensive!  

notme Experienced

hiiii, you should go to the coping section of this forum and click on the 'newbie 101' thread at the top.  lots of good info and advice.  skip the restaurant food for now.  read allllllll the labels.  if you shop the perimeter of the grocery store, you have lots of choices, meats, vegs, fish, cheeses.  I stay away from lots of processed foods, in the beginning they may be hard to digest anyway.  

in my store, I have no problem getting gluten free bread, pasta, etc - the regular bread shelves were wiped out but I guess nobody wanted my bread.  o, well, good for meeeeee!!!  wheee!  I like canyon bakehouse breads, and jovial pasta if I have my druthers, but there are many other brands out there that are goodfers - the Rudi's original gluten-free bread, for example, I like to sub for rye bread when I make reuben sammiches.  it's goodfer reubens.  keep in freezer, lolz, my whole fridge freezer is mostly different kinds of breads :D  good luck!

CottenCandyDream Apprentice

I know, I tired to buy some gluten free things today and everything was gone I think people are grabbing up the gluten free items because everyone took the "normal food" Also people with sleep apena cant even find distilled water anymore,I have family who are diabetic who can't even find rubbing, alcohol, it's getting pretty crazy out there and it sucks that you just got diagnosis before all this craziness happen but this i a great website with very helpful and caring people.