This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Severity of symptoms?

bc2020

bc2020 Newbie

Hi, I am looking for opinion on symptoms I've had to see if I may have celiac disease, gluten sensitivity/intolerance or if testing would be warranted.

I have never been tested. I went to a naturopath in the past who wanted to test (can't remember what type of test it was) but due to the cost ($400-500) I decided to hold off. My GP/family doctor at my last appt brushed it off and said if I had celiac there'd be other symptoms "other than bloating or digestive issues" (in her defense I didn't elaborate that much on my symptoms but in my defense I felt rushed and uncomfortable mentioning anything). 

• I am 34 and have had two pregnancies/childbirths. I did not experience infertility or miscarriage. My pregnancies were healthy except for gestational diabetes in my first (did not occur in the second). Both deliveries went smoothly with no complications but happened fast (I pushed for no more than 25 minutes with my first child, and my second child was out in 5 minutes according to my husband but I think it was longer than that ;)) -- wondering if that could be traumatic on the body and trigger the disease (if I happened to have the gene).
  • I'm overweight and have always "had a belly" for as long as I can remember even when at a healthier weight. I've never had a flat stomach. I wake up feeling okay but always go to bed feeling bloated and full. I've struggled with my weight since being an adult.
  • The same for the skin - it's alright in the morning but is dry, red and blotchy by nighttime. I think I am starting to get rosacea (my mom has it). I've had eczema too but infrequently and not on a regular basis. 
  • I've never been diagnosed with IBS but have had "attacks" (painful bowel movements, constipation with cramping followed by diarrhea) since childhood. They're infrequent now and not something I experienced on a daily basis (maybe a few times per week at their worst, now maybe once or twice a month depending what I've eaten). I've never been able to pinpoint what triggers it. 
  • I had a blood test 2 years ago where my ALT/AST liver enzymes came back elevated (one time, hasn't shown up on any blood tests since, that I know of).
  • I was on tetracycline as a teenager (acne drug - I read an article on the internet that said Accutane, a similar drug, could potentially be a trigger for celiac)
  • I had menstrual cycle irregularities as a teenager that lasted for years but seemed to normalize in my early 20s. 
  • I've been iron deficient in the past (and in both my pregnancies) but not currently. 
  • I have keratosis pilaris (chicken skin) on my upper arms since my teens.
  • My teeth are a bit yellow/discolored (a hygienist once asked if I smoke or drink lots of coffee - I don't smoke but do drink 2-3 cups of coffee/day). 
  • I used to bruise easily (don't notice it much now, could be that I'm less clumsy as an adult :))
  • I've done a couple rounds of an elimination diet for a few weeks at a time (no grains, gluten, dairy, or added sugars) and upon reintroduction of just gluten one of the times I bloated almost immediately and was belching within 30-45 minutes of eating.  A different time, my feet swelled in the evening after eating a family dinner (but I have no way of knowing if it was the gluten, dairy or sugar that caused it). 
  • Have recently noticed occasional light-headedness or feeling of being off balance and eye floaters. I often feel the need to rub my eyes - not itchy, but like there's gunk in them (it's also very dry where I live).

I feel like I don't have any major or classic symptoms and most can be attributed to something else. Each symptom on it's own is not severe enough for me to do anything about and a lot of them I experienced in the past...but all of them combined makes me wonder if I should suck it up and pay the cost for testing through a naturopath or find a new family doctor who will refer me for testing (when the coronavirus pandemic passes).  

Thanks in advance for your opinions/advice! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

Hi!  

Celiac disease has over 200 symptoms attributed to it.  These same symptoms often overlap with other autoimmune disorders or illnesses.  The only way to know for sure is to get tested (antibodies).  Consider a walk-in lab or an at-home test kit to start your diagnostic process, especially now with the COVID-19 pandemic.  Your NP probably marks up the test (just guessing) or they expect you to have insurance.  

https://www.beyondceliac.org/research-news/at-home-test-for-celiac-disease-launches/

At least this is a place to start.  Know, this is critical, that all celiac disease testing requires you to be on a normal gluten diet.  Only genetic testing, (which can not diagnose since over 30% of the population carries these genes) does not have this requirement.  

bc2020 Newbie
22 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Celiac disease has over 200 symptoms attributed to it.  These same symptoms often overlap with other autoimmune disorders or illnesses.  The only way to know for sure is to get tested (antibodies).  Consider a walk-in lab or an at-home test kit to start your diagnostic process, especially now with the COVID-19 pandemic.  Your NP probably marks up the test (just guessing) or they expect you to have insurance.  

https://www.beyondceliac.org/research-news/at-home-test-for-celiac-disease-launches/

Thank you for the response and helpful link! "imaware" is not currently available in Canada (where I live) but I did find some other online tests available, it's definitely a good starting point. Thanks!! :)