This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mcdonald's French Fries Not Safe?

pixiegirl

psawyer Proficient

David's address is david.hamilton@wsj.com

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VydorScope Proficient

You have to wonder what else they lied about?

Canadian Karen Community Regular
David's address is david.hamilton@wsj.com

Thanks Peter! I just e-mailed him and attached a link to this thread..... Hopefully, he might be able to get to the bottom of this..... I can see the possibilities now. "McDonald's - poisoning America the whole time"

Why are huge corporations never held accountable for negligence? I guess money can buy the best lawyers in the country, eh?

Karen

mouse Enthusiast

I was so upset last night after reading this thread, that I woke my husband up to vent. He also thought it was terrible. All this time I thought it was safe to stop at McDonalds and order a lettuce wrap hamburger and fries. It was always my ace for when we would take short trips - there is always a McDonalds somewhere. Yes, they now have to disclose wheat since the new law took affect BUT WHAT THE H... WERE THEY THINKING OF WHEN THEY LISTED THEM UNDER GLUTEN FREE and they were not. What do they think, that this is a game with us, that we are on a special diet because of a fad??? I emailed last night and phoned Oakbrook, IL directly this morning. I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW A COPORATION AS BIG AS MCDONALDS' could not do the proper research so that their labeling is accurate. :angry::angry::angry:

VydorScope Proficient

I hope this rsiaes a huge firestorm! I sent my email.. cant call from work though...

Moongirl Community Regular

too bad we cant get it on the News as easily....i used to work for a FoxTv station, and once a new anchor bad mouthed McD's...something to do with the supersize movie....and we had people from McD corp calling us threatening to pull all the ads off the station...and we know they drop $$$ on ads...

so i agree with the money can buy u anything

VydorScope Proficient
too bad we cant get it on the News as easily....i used to work for a FoxTv station, and once a new anchor bad mouthed McD's...something to do with the supersize movie....and we had people from McD corp calling us threatening to pull all the ads off the station...and we know they drop $$$ on ads...

so i agree with the money can buy u anything

Yea, but theres enough of us here, if we all tell everyone we know, we can get the word out fast and if everyone with a food allergy, or intolernce of any kind stops spending any money at McDondals, that will take them off thier #1 spot pretty fast!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

Oh, they will be getting a phone call from me at lunch today.

Those lucky people :)

Cheri A Contributor

OMG! I just went back and read more of the thread?! So, wheat and dairy have ALWAYS been in the fries?! :angry: WTH?!

((Nini)) ~ I am so with you on this! I am about to cry too for our kids. Esp. after 2 failed attempts at making cupcakes for a birthday party this weekend. And, now Car won't eat the muffins I've been making her. I'm just sick!!

Susan ~ I simply CANNOT believe that you have gotten nasty PMs!! Did you report the people? That is so ridiculous. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Ok.. off to email them!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

OK Guys--there's hope

WE'RE MAKING A DIFFERENCE

KEEP THOSE CALLS AND EMAILS GOING

Last nite i printed the ingred spread with the ff marked with the X for wheat

didn't go back just now to ck..but listen to this.

Last nite there were 3 SECTIONS under the search the site. gluten free menu

the link wasn't working for the gluten-free menu BUT IT WAS THERE.

BUT just checked and now the OTHER 2 are NOT THERE only the professional thread and this was listed under that so we know it was there....we all have old prints.

McDonald’s Gluten Free Menu Items: This sheet provides a list of popular McDonald’s menu items that do not contain gluten.

They are working on the web site since last nite so somethings happening at McDonalds :ph34r:

keep bombarding them.

I used the link that susan posted last nite in her first post.

judy

Susan,

I simply cannot fathom why someone would send you a nasty e-mail when they should be thanking you profusely!!!! Maybe they own shares in McDonalds???? <_<

Thanks for finding it and posting it!

Karen

happygirl Collaborator

Karen, but how surprised can you be :P

VydorScope Proficient
Susan,

I simply cannot fathom why someone would send you a nasty e-mail when they should be thanking you profusely!!!! Maybe they own shares in McDonalds???? <_<

Thanks for finding it and posting it!

Karen

Frankly based on the anger I got from ppl here when ever I said dont eat mcdonalds fries in the past, I have wondered if McDondals has ppl posting here. :ph34r:

Karen, but how surprised can you be :P

:lol::lol: Yeah, like I haven't been on the receiving end, eh?

Hugs.

Karen

VydorScope Proficient
:lol::lol: Yeah, like I haven't been on the receiving end, eh?

Hugs.

Karen

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT THAT TURTLE! :blink::huh::lol:

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Forgot--

DID you all get the google alet this am about gluten-free resturants.

well it had the whole thread from celiac.com with the McD thread running on it.

Maybe you all get these and are uesed to them but i just signed up..think celiac3270 told me about it.

If no one else got it i'll post or google gluten-free resturants.

off to do that now.

judy

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT THAT TURTLE! :blink::huh::lol:

:lol::D:P;)

Never again! You're stuck with me, warts n' all!

:rolleyes:;)

Karen

VydorScope Proficient
Forgot--

DID you all get the google alet this am about gluten-free resturants.

well it had the whole thread from celiac.com with the McD thread running on it.

Maybe you all get these and are uesed to them but i just signed up..think celiac3270 told me about it.

If no one else got it i'll post or google gluten-free resturants.

off to do that now.

judy

umm what? "google alerts" ? what that?

killernj13 Enthusiast
OK Guys--there's hope

WE'RE MAKING A DIFFERENCE

KEEP THOSE CALLS AND EMAILS GOING

Last nite i printed the ingred spread with the ff marked with the X for wheat

didn't go back just now to ck..but listen to this.

Last nite there were 3 SECTIONS under the search the site. gluten free menu

the link wasn't working for the gluten-free menu BUT IT WAS THERE.

BUT just checked and now the OTHER 2 are NOT THERE only the professional thread and this was listed under that so we know it was there....we all have old prints.

McDonald’s Gluten Free Menu Items: This sheet provides a list of popular McDonald’s menu items that do not contain gluten.

They are working on the web site since last nite so somethings happening at McDonalds :ph34r:

keep bombarding them.

I used the link that susan posted last nite in her first post.

judy

Yes, they definitely changed it since last night. The french fries are still listed on the gluten-free list but the "X" has been removed from the column to indicate "Wheat" and "Gluten" from their allergen information list.

It seems they don't know what they are doing.

But here is another issue I just thought of. The gluten free list states "McDonald's provides a listing of popular menu items that do not contain ingredients made from wheat, barley, oats or rye." If the gluten is indeed added during there frying process because of the oil they can issue a CYA stating the fries are gluten free but the oil isn't. Which would be wrong to do because of their whole dedicated fryer policy.

jerseyangel Proficient

Judy--Please do post that when you can. I've been meaning to sign up for Google alerts, but have not yet.

jenvan Collaborator

Unfriggin' believeable :blink: I don't eat fast food really, so it isn't a big a loss to me as many of you--but loss or no loss, what has been going on?! I'm reading this thread with an open mouth and waiting to see what happens....

Yes, they definitely changed it since last night. The french fries are still listed on the gluten-free list but the "X" has been removed from the column to indicate "Wheat" and "Gluten" from their allergen information list.

It seems they don't know what they are doing.

Sounds like they are already in "damage control" mode......

Karen

pixiegirl Enthusiast

On a Celiac e-mail list I'm on someone just posted that they called McDonalds and they said there is no change in the recipe and they now must list all the ingredients it could contain, but they said that the manufacture of the oil (which is apparently where the beef, wheat and dairy are... why they are there I don't know) any how, the manufacture says that they somehow have a process that removes the proteins from the oil. So now people on that list are saying ok great good news and now we can go back to eating them.

I guess thats for each person to decide but my question would be, if they strain them out somehow (and i'm not even sure thats possible) why do they still have to list those ingredients? And my next question would be how the heck to they get them out. Apparently McDonalds answered that by saying they didn't know but thats the info they have.

Hmmmm, I'm still going to buy a deep fryer today.

Susan

VydorScope Proficient

This page : Open Original Shared Link clearly states that the freis have WHEAT in them, and thsi one Open Original Shared Link states they have gluten in them, but this page Open Original Shared Link states they are gluten /wheat free.

thats all current as of this post. If they are updating anything, they are pretty darn slow/sloppy.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

some one pm'd me to post

here it is not sure if the links at bottom will help but know celiac3270 i think told me to google alerts and i did this one. but i couldn't find today when i did my search on google but this worked at 7:30 am today and the Mc Donald posts were there....honest to God they were I forwarded them to hubby and he saw them and forwarded to otheres too.

Judy

Ps I'm tired--going to take a bath...carry on the torch..you all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Google Alerts [mailto:googlealerts-noreply@google.com]

Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 5:23 AM

To: judy --took off my email address don't want any 'snippers' coming after me- right Susan

Subject: Google Alert - gluten free resturants

Google Alert for: gluten free resturants

Celiac Disease Message Board and Gluten-Free Forum at Celiac.com

Any good gluten-free resturants you can recommend? 5 · Judyin Philly, 69,

Yesterday, 11:45 AM Last post by: Judyin Philly. No New Posts ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This once a day Google Alert is brought to you by Google.

Remove this alert.

Create another alert.

Manage your alerts.

God you all i can't up with these posts...this is an edit.

someone please tell jerseyangel how to sign up. i don't know and don't think these links will help her or the other who emailed me

MY TUB RUN'TH OVER... :ph34r: MY HUBBY ain't gona be happy

Archived