• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Merika

What Are Gluten Free Dog Food And Treats Brands?

Rate this topic

So we have been talking about getting a dog for a while and today we went looking at adoption places and found one we like and we are going to go back asap tomorrow to try to get the guy we like...whew! I am excited :D

What are some supermarket brands and specialty brands that are gluten-free? Does gluten-free really matter? I've read lots of threads where dog food comes up, but I can't get the search function to work for me right now.

I feed my cat food with gluten, but then I wash my hands well, and I don't think dust from pouring chow is an issue because it's such a small amount, and I don't worry about her licking or her fur because it seems ok, and cats are pretty clean. Treats I could see being more an issue, because you might give them anywhere in the house or out and not be near a sink. Plus dogs LOVE to lick people and drool more.

Can you tell I'm excited....my sentences keep running on and on and on, lol :)

Thank you!!!

Merika

Here are some links to threads where I have posted on the topic of pet food. These link directly to my post, but you should probably read the whole thread.

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...indpost&p=78995

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...t=0entry94208

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...indpost&p=97767

I handle pet foods all the time, and many of them are not gluten-free. I always wash carefully after touching them. It has never caused a problem that I am aware of.

OKay , heres the relaity of my situtation. I have a Toddler. My toddler has celiac disease. My Toddler is teething. A toddler that is teething will put ANYTHING HE CAN GET HIS GRUBBY HANDS ON in his mouth.

I have a dog. I love my dog very much. My dog likes to be fed from time to time. Most dog food has gluten in it.

See the problem?

SOLUTION I found. Milkbone makes chewy dog treats that are gluten-free. Nutro makes a dog food "Lamb and Rice" thats gluten-free. Both are advaible in my local pet stores (treats are even in the normal grocery store).

My Dog is getting fed, that makes him happy. My toddler is safe at least from the dog food. That makes me happy.

Success. :D You success might vary, but worked out for me.

Peter,

Thank you! You gave me just the threads I was looking for :) I will bring the list with me when we go dog food shopping, and I think the Canidae was maybe what the adoption place was feeding the dogs, so that is good if we continue that.

Vincent, yes you are right to be cautious. I have a 4 yr old (almost) who is waaay easier than a toddler, but somehow has stickier hands :o

I am happy to know that there are multiple options for gluten-free dog food out there. Now I just need to find out if those are soy-free as well......ds is super allergic to soy.

Hehe, if we get him tomorrow, i may have to figure out how to use the avatar thingy and post his picture :P

Merika

We get Science diet and if you look on their site many of their dog and cat foods are gluten-free. We get the large bread puppy and it is really not that much more than the others. Especailly if you get it at Petco where you can get a free bag and they have good sales. We also got some chew treats from the vet that are gluten-free. I will have to check on the name for you.

Guest Viola

Merika .. congratulations :D a dog is very special when you have a cronic illness, they really raise your spirits. We look forward to seeing him on the avatar :lol:

Many dog owners have known for a really long time that dogs do not do well with grains. In the show ring and in canine powere sports (what I am into), we have not used a grain based dog food in forever as they don't provide our active dogs what they need to be in optimal shape and health for their sports or competitions.

Diamond makes a really good grain free line in many flavors. Hint, you won't find them in standard pet stores or the pet outlets, you have to find a breeder local who carries them or order direct from the company. I order a bunch at one time and store it all in trunks purchased from the local automotive store (you know the big trunks that go in the back of the truck). This way I can store the kibble without worring about rodents.

They did have a recall on the kibble with corn they have but it didn't impact the ones that I feed my boys. They were honest about the recall, stood behind the product, the medical bills and everything else. They even placed it on the very front page of their website. This is a company I find to have much honor, even when a big issue like show champions getting sick, missing competitions and or death (I think there were one or two) from the issue caused. Some sort of fungus or mold was in the corn the put into the some of their kibble.

Any how, the company website is located at:

http://www.diamondpet.com/

I should add that my dogs are on a BARF and kibble combination. I have to maintain a combination diet as some competitions, BARF cubes are hard to keep frozen. BARF is a Bone And Raw Foods and the boys eat pretty much anything safe for dogs found in my own diet.