• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Just wondering what kind of pasta sauces are safe out there. I read the ingredients, and I am not really sure why some sauces wouldn't be safe. Help!! I want some spaghetti!

Well, I play it safe and make my own. I use tomato sauce, garlic and red, green and yellow peppers with oregano, basil, onions, mushrooms etc.

Prego Traditional and Ragu Old World Rich and Meaty are listed on the Celiac Smart List.

You are going to want to make sure that you have a seperate colander for your gluten free pasta. You don't want to use the same one that has been used for regular pasta in the past.

Also, if you are making regular pasta in another pot for other members of your family, make sure that you stir the pots with different spoons.

I don't have to make regular pasta, because my son (who doesn't have Celiac) really likes the Tinkyada that I eat. I almost wish that he didn't so I could give him the cheap stuff, and I could have more leftovers for lunches.

Enjoy! :D

Cindy

Thanks, Oh and i know about the seperate everything- i've been gluten-free for over a year. But, I've had a few different sauces, and I am always concerned. My fiance eats my gluten-free food, even though he is not gluten-free... that makes everything easier!!

Any more "saucy" suggestions!?

After buying some pricey gluten-free pasta sauces at Whole Foods I felt pretty silly when my Univ. of Chicago gluten-free goodie basket arrived and it included Ragu Old World in it. Ragu is great for making your own pizza if you have a crust you like...I don't yet but I'm trying Chebe this weekend. I hated the Gluten Free Bakehouse pizza crusts from WF's. I ate the toppings off and noted I should NOT buy that item anymore.

Question: what brands (if any) of pizza crust, bagels and/or eng. muffins have you guys found out there that are decent?

You are going to want to make sure that you have a seperate colander for your gluten free pasta. You don't want to use the same one that has been used for regular pasta in the past.

ACK!! YOu mean I have to throw out my plastic colander too, even if we washed it throughly and no longer, ever, make gluten pasta?

I really liked the Chebe pizza crust. I thought it was really good and even better the next day. The chebe breadsticks are also really good. I'm really weird about some of the gluten-free food and I really want it to taste like "normal" food and I think the Chebe crust is the closest to normal that I've had in a long time.

Vydorscope- I got a whole new colander for my pasta. I noticed that after I thoroughly cleaned mine that there was still a pasta residue. I just got a cheapy colander for my gluten-free pastas.

ACK!! YOu mean I have to throw out my plastic colander too, even if we washed it throughly and no longer, ever, make gluten pasta?

yep--I would (and did)..I had a plastic one, too. Just didn't trust that all those little holes were clean of gluten. I got a nice porcelain one at Target--not expensive at all.

Don't skip the spaghetti, do what I did before I got the new strainer. Just take the spaghetti out of the pot with tongs or a spaghetti fork thing. Scoop it out, hold it over the pot for a second to drain and put it in the dish. Same result--little bit more work.

Most if not all of the Classico Sauces are gluten-free. It's Heinz, so its a label reading scenario.

I mostly make my own, but when I'm in that "I just worked all day I'll be d$@ned if I'm cooking dinner too" head space I like to have a bottle of this stuff around to use.

Elonwy

Vydorscope - go to a dollar store. I got a plastic strainer there for $1. I prefer plastic to our heavy stainless one and sure enough you can't get the gluten pasta residue off the plastic ones.

*sigh* wonder what other gluten sources I have in my "gluten-free kitchen". Next thing you gonna tell me is my stanless steel sink has to be replaced! :o:blink:

If you never ever use gluten pasta in the colander and it's been thoroughly cleaned, I wouldn't worry about it. BUT, if you want to be real cautious, colanders are cheap. I have one of my own but live in a house with two gluten eaters.

richard