Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lovegrov

An Expert's Opinion On Mcdonald's

Guest chickadee

My 3 sons and myself have been bloating eating at mcdonalds <_< . I suspected the french fries ;) . We are in PEI.

I am glad once again that we have this sight to confirm :D .

I'm not eating them for now. I am just slightly confused over the whole thing, so I am not going to take any risks. I actually had their fries 2-3 days after they enacted their new system and didn't get sick, but they may not have completely shifted yet. With the conflicting and muddled information (contain wheat by definition, but safe because it's removed), I am just going to wait for this to be cleared up.

I'm not eating them for now. I am just slightly confused over the whole thing, so I am not going to take any risks. I actually had their fries 2-3 days after they enacted their new system and didn't get sick, but they may not have completely shifted yet. With the conflicting and muddled information (contain wheat by definition, but safe because it's removed), I am just going to wait for this to be cleared up.

celiac3270... based on the best of information that McDondals has made advailbie, the fires have always had a low level of gluten in them. Up till now McDondals decided to not disclose that, and now they have decided to disclose it. In short nothing has changed expect their level of disclosure.

Wether or not you continue to eat them has to be your choice, but I would (and always have) suggest against them.

Me too, celiac3270. I just don't know what to believe right now.

Well which part? McDondals now admits the freis have always had gluten in them, per thier offical statement to the Wall Street Journel. They just feel the level of gluten is low enough to be insignifigant.

Wehter or not they are "safe" I guess depends on your opinion of safe. Many ppl here have had advrese reactions to thier fries, and for them its easy call, they are not safe. Some ppl have not had a reaction, and those seem to be the only ones unsure. My Son is in the camp of "had a gluten reaction", so I am in the camp of "they are not safe".

For me its easy. Gluten = Bad, fries got gluten, fries = bad. :D

If we were talking CC here, I would feel differently probably. But we are not, we are talking a food with a known gluten content.

Vincent, what I mean is that there have been contradictions in the information available. You may be right. There may be gluten in the fries. But do we know if McD's supplier is saying there is gluten in the oil, or just that there might be some contamination. And can we be certain that the gluten is still there. Some people react to grain derivatives which do not contain gluten per se. Distilled alcoholic beverages and distilled vinegar are generally accepted as gluten free, but some (not all) people with celiac disease have a negative reaction to them.

I'm taking a pass on the fries, and I suggest everybody else here do the same. But I am not yet satisfied that we know all the facts about this.

Didn't anyone see the movie 'Supersize Me'? I can not stand MD food except for a egg mcmuffin without meat and now I can't have that of course. But the movie showed how MD french fries did not get moldy in ten weeks of sitting out on a desk in a glass jar. Reg. fries (just fried potatos) went bad after a few days stored the same way as the MD's fries. I don't even eat their fries but I told everyone I knew that I didn't think MD fries was something anyone would want to put into their bodies. Or at least they wouldn't feed their children the fries if they saw the movie. Really if you have kids I highly recommend you rent the movie if you haven't seen it.

And could someone tell me for those of you who do like MD fries, why hasn't everyone gotten sick repeatedly eating them? Some of you are super sensitive to the tiniest trace of gluten so wouldn't you know if you ate fries with gluten in them? I'm just trying to figure this out even though I wouldn't eat MD food if you paid me to. The people who work at the MD near me have a hard time giving me cream for my coffee (or they did when I used to get my b'fast there once a month) so I'm sure they would not pay attn. to using a dedicated fryer for the fries.