This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Short Tempered To The Extreme

Timber4est

Timber4est Rookie

I was wondering if anyone else had a problem with being really honery when they first started out on their gluten-free diet?

I am nearly two weeks into my new diet, already feeling some results (mainly night sweats and arthritis pains), but have noticed that I “fly off the handle” very easily. This is not like me at all and I am wondering if it has anything to do with purging my system of gluten. If it is, I realize that each person and each body is different, but dang, how long does it last?

Deborah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I get very short tempered (another word actually comes to mind) when I get a gluten reaction. Along with the anxiety, it almost makes me feel manic! I'm sure your mood swings will even out once you've been on the diet a while.

marciab Enthusiast

It took me a few months to become civil again. I remember after being on the diet for only one month, my doctor acted like I should be happy because the diet was helping and I know I about bit her head off. But, I felt like I was starving, ravenous, all the time in the beginning even if I had just eaten. At 6 months, I'm no longer starving and actually past craving most my old foods now. hang in there marcia

lemonade Enthusiast
It took me a few months to become civil again. I remember after being on the diet for only one month, my doctor acted like I should be happy because the diet was helping and I know I about bit her head off. But, I felt like I was starving, ravenous, all the time in the beginning even if I had just eaten. At 6 months, I'm no longer starving and actually past craving most my old foods now. hang in there marcia

im thinking of changing my name to "Short tempered" :angry:;)

Lemonade

codetalker Contributor

It was the same for me. It's a bit better now but gluten accidents still make me irritable. Fortunately, they are few and far between.

jenvan Collaborator

It could be a physical thing, or it could also be the under-the-surface-stress etc you are experiencing with such a big life change also. Try to be patient with others...and yourself right now.

elonwy Enthusiast

Make sure you're getting enough carbs, too. We need them carbohydrates to be happy. I know when I cut carbs out too far, I start to get crabby. I also get pissy and weird when I get glutened. That was one of the symptoms that led me to push to find out what was wrong with me.

There is also a possibility that you're going through "gluten withdrawal". Its been mentioned on here before.

Elonwy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient
Make sure you're getting enough carbs, too. We need them carbohydrates to be happy. I know when I cut carbs out too far, I start to get crabby. I also get pissy and weird when I get glutened. That was one of the symptoms that led me to push to find out what was wrong with me.

There is also a possibility that you're going through "gluten withdrawal". Its been mentioned on here before.

Elonwy

You do not need carbs to be happy, however you can get addicted to carbs and go through withdrawl. Ppl that do the low card diets have to face that in the beginig, but its only temporary.

elonwy Enthusiast

I said that wrong, you're right, but we do need *some* carbohydrates in our diet to maintain normal chemical balance in our brains. I'm rather sensetive to this, because I had a friend who went wayy overboard with Atkins, went fully Atkins, with NO carb reintroduction at all other than what is in high-protien foods, all she ate was meats and cheeses and Atkins crap, no veggies, no fruit, no complex carbs of any kind, and she went slightly insane because it upset her chemical balance and she had to be medicated and institutionalized for a while.

Rather extreme, yes. Not something that's going to happen to most people.

I'm not saying we need to eat rice every day to be cheerful people, I'm just saying be careful how many carbs you take out, make sure you get in fruits and veggies if you're not doing gluten-free carbs like rice or gluten-free breads and stuff.

To much carbs are bad, and not enough can be just as bad, just in a different way.

Thank you for making me clarify Vincent, I'm sleepy and lazy today :)

Elonwy

Archived