This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are My Party Days Over?

mikeyfooos

mikeyfooos Newbie

Hi,

I found out I have Celiac disease 2 days ago, and am still very confused about what alcohols are safe and which are not. I have read on many websites that vodka, gin and whiskey should be avoided. Is this true?

I have noticed that many other members have posted messgaes stating that vodka is safe. THAT WOULD MAKE ME SO HAPPY!! If there is anyone that could clarify which alcohols are safe to drink, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, why is it safe to drink American wines rather than wines from other countries?

I appreciate all of your help,

Mike

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nettiebeads Apprentice

Ok, beer, except gluten-free beer, is out. I never could drink beer (allergy to hops, probably) so I don't know if the gluten-free beer is any good or not. Any drink that is malt based is out. Distilled grain alcohol is safe, supposedly. The distillation process filters out the gluten particles according to different sources. I used to be able to drink any vodka, but lately that's been leaving me feeling not too well. Don't know if it's the grain or the fact that my liver is older now. You'll have to try for yourself. Rum and tequila are still in (yeah margaritas!!) I hadn't heard anything about foreign wines being off limits. So, Cheers and party hardy!

Annette

tarnalberry Community Regular
Hi,

I found out I have Celiac disease 2 days ago, and am still very confused about what alcohols are safe and which are not. I have read on many websites that vodka, gin and whiskey should be avoided. Is this true?

I have noticed that many other members have posted messgaes stating that vodka is safe. THAT WOULD MAKE ME SO HAPPY!! If there is anyone that could clarify which alcohols are safe to drink, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, why is it safe to drink American wines rather than wines from other countries?

I appreciate all of your help,

Mike

Distilled alcohols, that don't have things added to them after the distillation process, are gluten free. So, vodka is safe. If you are still worried about it, you could have a corn or potato based vodka or a grape based vodka (Ciroq's my preference). You'll want to check around the posts on here, but a rather large number of regular alcohols are fine (tequilas, rums, etc.)

As for wine (and port)... Some people have noted that they've heard of wheat being used in the processing of wine. I've never seen personal evidence (including talking to a vintner), but at least one person here has apparently had a different vintner tell him/her that. I don't generally worry about wines, myself, but then again, I hardly ever drink wine.

killernj13 Enthusiast

I've contacted Absolut and they are gluten-free going under the fact / theory that the gluten is distilled out. I say fact / theory because some people who are super sensitive in regards to gluten say they can't have vodka unless its potato.

Also, someone posted here recently a response that Jagermeister is OK for us.

Also, Balileys is ok going with the distilling idea. Althought there website says they can't quarantee it but I think its a CYA on their part.

The gluten-free beers that I know of are Bard's Beer Dragon Tale, Ramapo Valley Brewery Passover Honey Beer, and Lakeshore Brewery's New Grist.

hez Enthusiast

You have a lot of options when it comes to alcohol. I know Bacardi rum is gluten-free (I contacted the company). I do not question wine (personal choice).

However, you may want to stop drinking for a little while to help your body heal. I have noticed that I no longer can drink as much as I used to. Someone noted that this may be due to the fact that my body is finally absorbing the alcohol :P

Hez

jnifred Explorer

All I know for certain is that Mudslides are out, had some last weekend without looking at the label and it has caramel color in it and boy did I feel it :( . very sad over that, now I have to figure out how to make them myself. Had martini's at New Years and was fine with those, used Skyy vodka in those. Haven't had any issues with rum, Bacardi and Appleton Estates, and seem fine when I have a bit of Frangelico. Geesh, I sound bad, don't I ??.......I honestly don't drink that often....depending on how sensitive you are, I don't think your partying days are over, although I agree with whoever said to maybe give your gut a rest to heal if you've had major problems up to this point.

mouse Enthusiast

I stopped drinking for almost a year so that my body could heel. And also I was really afraid of drinking the wrong thing :rolleyes: . I really don't drink often and then usually only one drink and two at the most (very seldom). I have switched from Rum, which I knew was safe to Jack Daniel's Black Label with coke and I know that is fine. With wines I try and stick to the USA ones, but found one from Europe I really liked and bought a case of that. No, I don't drink much wine either. But this one was so good that I had two glasses on an empty stomach and boy was I smashed. I did not like that. I DO THINK THAT any alcohol hits me faster then before I went gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini
VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Smirnoff is distilled from corn and is much cheaper than potato/grape vodkas (though I do like Ciroc a lot)

Bronco

Becky6 Enthusiast
All I know for certain is that Mudslides are out, had some last weekend without looking at the label and it has caramel color in it and boy did I feel it

As shown on the Delphi list Fridays on the rocks mudslides are gluten-free. And I have had them several times and been just fine. What brand did you have? Caramel color is not always a no no.

jnifred Explorer
As shown on the Delphi list Fridays on the rocks mudslides are gluten-free. And I have had them several times and been just fine. What brand did you have? Caramel color is not always a no no.

It wasn't Fridays, can't remember which one, but I had all the sypmtoms and it is the only thing it could have been. Thanks though for letting me know that Friday's is OK, that makes me VERY happY!!!!

I always forget to check those lists, and am still getting used to checking every label. I don't eat/buy a lot of processed foods and so most things I buy I don't have to check (fresh fruit/veggies, cheeses/dairy, plain rice etc) , and then when I do buy something I will forget since I am not used to doing that. Does that make sense????? I have had a BAD week, sick kids, personal issues, other illnesses in the family etc, etc, and I feel like my brain is on overload and rambling....

ANYWAY, thank you for telling me that. I want to say it was Kahlua brand, but I'm not sure. Actually, I am pretty sure it was Kahlua's......I think :huh:

Becky6 Enthusiast

I am so glad I could help you! I LOVE mudslides and was soooo glad I could still have them!

jnifred Explorer
I am so glad I could help you! I LOVE mudslides and was soooo glad I could still have them!

Me too, chocolate in any form is a BEAUTIFUL thing!!!! :D

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I know Ketel One is safe to drink (and a personal favorite).

Felidae Enthusiast

I drink wines from every continent. I don't think you need to worry in my opinion.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

The only problem with Margaritas is that you have to watch which mix is used -- some companies "thicken" it for restaurants so that they can add a LOT of ice and it will go further -- don't know if they're gluten-free. My philosophy -- just take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lime and a shot of tequila.

nettiebeads Apprentice
The only problem with Margaritas is that you have to watch which mix is used -- some companies "thicken" it for restaurants so that they can add a LOT of ice and it will go further -- don't know if they're gluten-free. My philosophy -- just take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lime and a shot of tequila.

My kind of woman!! (But I have vague memories of being poured into the back of a friend's pickup truck to be driven home the last time I did shots) :P:P

Guest nini

that reminds me of the last time I did mudslides... I "mudslid" right out of my seat onto the floor of the bar! LOL!

Archived