• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Jenn2005

Recipe For Cake Doughnuts

Rate this topic

I found this recipe in a new book I bought the other day. My husband and son loved them and they were really easy to make.

Ingredients

3/4 cup cornstarch

2/3 cup potato starch

1/3 cup sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 egg

1/3 cup milk (I used Almond Milk - due to also being casein free)

1 teaspoon xanthan gum

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons oil

1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring

For Frying:

2 cups vegetable oil

Topping:

powdered sugar

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Mix well to remove all lumps. Heat oil in medium saudepan to 375 degrees.

Pat out dough on"floured" (with cornstarch) surfact to 1/3 inch thickness. Cut out doughnuts with round cookie cutter. use apple corer or similar round object to remove center of doughnuts. Place doughnuts and holes gently into hot oil; do not crowd them. Once they are lightly browned on both sides, remove and place on a paper towel to drain.

Roll doughnuts in powdered sugar while still warm.

Makes about 10 doughnuts and doughnut holes.

Jennifer

Jennifer--thanks for sharing that. I'm always on the lookout for recipes like that using potato and cornstarch. I am sensitive to rice flour in large amounts and tapioca flour, so a lot of mixes and recipes are out at least for now. When I get my Vance's Dari Free, I think I will try making them--I haven't had a donut in ages!

I found this recipe in a new book I bought the other day. My husband and son loved them and they were really easy to make.

Ingredients

3/4 cup cornstarch

2/3 cup potato starch

1/3 cup sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 egg

1/3 cup milk (I used Almond Milk - due to also being casein free)

1 teaspoon xanthan gum

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons oil

1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring

For Frying:

2 cups vegetable oil

Topping:

powdered sugar

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Mix well to remove all lumps. Heat oil in medium saudepan to 375 degrees.

Pat out dough on"floured" (with cornstarch) surfact to 1/3 inch thickness. Cut out doughnuts with round cookie cutter. use apple corer or similar round object to remove center of doughnuts. Place doughnuts and holes gently into hot oil; do not crowd them. Once they are lightly browned on both sides, remove and place on a paper towel to drain.

Roll doughnuts in powdered sugar while still warm.

Makes about 10 doughnuts and doughnut holes.

Jennifer

Jennifer

I don't usually fry anything but these look so good. Can i use canola oil to fry. know veg oil isn't as good for you but should i use that instead? also. what kind of oil did you use?

Judy

Judy ~ I fry in canola oil all the time. It will work!

Patti ~ I'm still interested in knowing what you think of the Darifree when you get it. I used it as creamer in my coffee this morning :)

Jennifer

I don't usually fry anything but these look so good. Can i use canola oil to fry. know veg oil isn't as good for you but should i use that instead? also. what kind of oil did you use?

Judy

thanks for your reply

use canola oil for both frying and in recipe?

judy

Hey, Mookie--(can't remember your REAL NAME :lol: ) you gonna give this one a try????

You on board, Vincent??? :rolleyes:

NO, I WON'T 'SCREW AROUND WITH THE RECIPE' :ph34r:

Judy

thanks for your reply

use canola oil for both frying and in recipe?

judy

Hey, Mookie--(can't remember your REAL NAME :lol: ) you gonna give this one a try????

You on board, Vincent??? :rolleyes:

NO, I WON'T 'SCREW AROUND WITH THE RECIPE' :ph34r:

Judy

OKAY FINE! :D

I just made them. Well, I modified them with the stand oil/water/bp exchange for egg, and I used Canole oil. Couple of minor tips...

1) I did not mess around with cutting a "hole" in mine. THe dough is like playdough, I just mande them doughnut shaped to start with.

2) when you put some cornstarch down on what ever you use (I used a plate), put some on your hands too. It makes working with the dough much easier.

3) I cooked them longer then suggested, but only a little, fi you go to far you get crunchy doughnuts.

4) I filled a bowl with confection sugar and droped the doughnuts in that right out of the oil, the sugar then melts a little and stickes realy good to the doughnut. I only made 2 at a time cuase they cook VERY fast. VERY.

5) I used more then 2 cups of oil but I did it in my deep fryer, and 2 cups would not been enough to fill it deep enough.

6) What ever you do DO NOT put your arm on the pan thats cooking the oil.... :(

OH and I added 1/2 a bag of Toll House Chocolate Chips :D My wife (non-celiac disease) gives them her personal seal of approval!

(minor note, if your on a .. well any kind of diet at all, these probably are illegal! :D )

(minor note, if your on a .. well any kind of diet at all, these probably are illegal! :D )

HI Vincent--

wondered where you were lerking out there in cyper space :ph34r:

what great tips you gave. thanks

no i'm not on any kind of diet---gluten-free----is enough for me at the moment --thank you very much :lol:

I can't wait to make them. they sound so good and easy to make.

i have one of my :blink: choc chip banana muffins left for tonight and then have to cook again. remember these are the ones you have to eat with your eyes closed. :huh:

thanks for the post.

judy in philly

Hi Judy. I used Corn Oil to fry mine. My husband is gluten-free/sf/cf so I can't use the regular vegetable oil. I'm sure Canola oil would be just fine.

Jennifer

wondered where you were lerking out there in cyper space :ph34r:

what great tips you gave. thanks

:ph34r: You never can tell where I might show, and where I might not show... I prefer it that way. :ph34r:

:ph34r: You never can tell where I might show, and where I might not show... I prefer it that way. :ph34r:

Figured that one out :P

your a 'slippery' one. We'll have to keep our eyes on you :blink:

Judy

Dumb question: how do you know you have the oil at 375 degrees? Is that medium high?

On mine it is easy, I just turn the dial to 375, other then that you would need a thermometer. But I would guess high or med-high is prbly right.

I heard froma friend that u can 'flick a drop of water in the oil' and if it 'spits' it ready...

could it be too hot then???

I really don't know.

judy in PHilly

Jennifer--thanks for sharing that. I'm always on the lookout for recipes like that using potato and cornstarch. I am sensitive to rice flour in large amounts and tapioca flour, so a lot of mixes and recipes are out at least for now. When I get my Vance's Dari Free, I think I will try making them--I haven't had a donut in ages!

Hi Patti - please tell me about Vance's Dari free? Is this a milk substitute? If so, what is in it? Where do you find it. I tried at Whole Foods think surely they would have it but they didn't. Thanks. Claire

I heard froma friend that u can 'flick a drop of water in the oil' and if it 'spits' it ready...

could it be too hot then???

I really don't know.

judy in PHilly

Not heard that, but since water boils at 212 and we are talking about 375, I doubt that would help at all.

I found this recipe in a new book I bought the other day. My husband and son loved them and they were really easy to make......

Jennifer, those donuts were great! I made them for my non-gluten-free husband (well, he's gluten-free only in support of me at home) and he loved them! I followed your recipe exactly and they were perfect. Only difference I used powdered sugar on some and cinnamon sugar on some. Both were great.

I always appreciate quick and easy recipes. It actually took longer to find our deep fryer (I never fry foods) than it did to mix and cook. Thanks!

Hi Patti - please tell me about Vance's Dari free? Is this a milk substitute? If so, what is in it? Where do you find it. I tried at Whole Foods think surely they would have it but they didn't. Thanks. Claire

Hi Claire--Vance's is a dairy free milk substitute based on potato. I was able to order one carton to try. It comes dry, and you mix it with water. I also ordered the canister/mixer--made it very easy to mix and store. I'm happy with it. It is excellent as a creamer in hot beverages and makes good hot chocolate. It is a bit sweet, so I won't be using it in things like mashed potatoes. I think it will make a nice base for a fruit smoothie and pudding. Here's a link so you can read about it:

http://www.vances.com/index.asp

Not heard that, but since water boils at 212 and we are talking about 375, I doubt that would help at all.

VINCENT-- :angry: PLEASE REMEMBER WHEN POSTING WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO---

:(:blink::huh::unsure:;):ph34r:

This is Judy--the non cook, non baker, get anxity attacks when i cross the dorrway into the kitche...

;) I'm trying here....

I don't own a deep fryer, so will put in a pot with canola oil --I'll flick the water in and wait a little while with the stove set on 6 out of 10....will that work...or drop some in a ck that way? I know what Jim (my hubby) would do...he go buy a thermator...maybe i should just do that????

I'm finally not having take 4 deep breaths before crossing the doorway. :) I'm making some progress here.

We had our best friends here for a week over Thanksgiving. My hubby-- who is a great cook and just retired-and my friend ( a fantastic cook and baker) did most of the cooking becasue I made them so nervous when i tried to cook. She's the one who told me to take 4 deep breaths..

You've helped already cause didn't know water boiled at 212...( I'm a talented woman, can knit a cool sweater, etc but COOKING :ph34r: i'M TRYING HERE.

Ok Vincent, don't let me down here....I promise to cook exactly what the recipe says...deal???? :lol:

Judy in Philly

VINCENT-- :angry: PLEASE REMEMBER WHEN POSTING WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO---

:(:blink::huh::unsure:;):ph34r:

This is Judy--the non cook, non baker, get anxity attacks when i cross the dorrway into the kitche...

;) I'm trying here....

I don't own a deep fryer, so will put in a pot with canola oil --I'll flick the water in and wait a little while with the stove set on 6 out of 10....will that work...or drop some in a ck that way? I know what Jim (my hubby) would do...he go buy a thermator...maybe i should just do that????

I'm finally not having take 4 deep breaths before crossing the doorway. :) I'm making some progress here.

We had our best friends here for a week over Thanksgiving. My hubby-- who is a great cook and just retired-and my friend ( a fantastic cook and baker) did most of the cooking becasue I made them so nervous when i tried to cook. She's the one who told me to take 4 deep breaths..

You've helped already cause didn't know water boiled at 212...( I'm a talented woman, can knit a cool sweater, etc but COOKING :ph34r: i'M TRYING HERE.

Ok Vincent, don't let me down here....I promise to cook exactly what the recipe says...deal???? :lol:

Judy in Philly

:lol::lol::lol:

Okay, in your case, get thee to the store and by a thermometer. Seriously, no reason to stress over this. :D A thermometer prbly only a couple of dollars and saves you a ton of guess work. I would suspect you would want to crank that stove up to full power till you hit the right temp, then back off the power to mantian it. You do not need to have it EACTLY 375, heck I think I did mine at 400. :) WIth in like 10 or 20 degrees is probably good enough.

:D

Seriously Judy--if you're going to be doing any frying with that amount of oil, please get a thermometer! If the oil gets too hot, you could get burned. Better safe than sorry ;)

Seriously Judy--if you're going to be doing any frying with that amount of oil, please get a thermometer! If the oil gets too hot, you could get burned. Better safe than sorry ;)

O getting burnd is not that bad, only hurts for a while, and leaves a bit of a scar whichyou can show off to the kids and bein realy impressive :D

O getting burnd is not that bad, only hurts for a while, and leaves a bit of a scar whichyou can show off to the kids and bein realy impressive :D

Ok You 2--You win.

I do know how dangerous the hot oil is.

I even started a fire in the kitchen in Ohio what frying chicken (in the old days of frying things). Turned my back for 1 minute (YA i know they all say that) went to ck on Jason the todler and the flames shot up and caught the curtains on fire....

I think the hot oil is even more dangerous..

guess i'll have to make the choc banana muffins again...cause i bought the muffin tins...

I'll get the thermonator....I have enought surgery scars --don't need any more.

thanks for the heads up..

love you both.

Judy

Yeah, I don't want my Judy to get burned either :)

I will try this recipe out on my husband...He loves his donuts...

:lol::lol::lol:

Okay, in your case, get thee to the store and by a thermometer. Seriously, no reason to stress over this. :D A thermometer prbly only a couple of dollars and saves you a ton of guess work. I would suspect you would want to crank that stove up to full power till you hit the right temp, then back off the power to mantian it. You do not need to have it EACTLY 375, heck I think I did mine at 400. :) WIth in like 10 or 20 degrees is probably good enough.

:D

:) Ah, thanks Vince, I knew you'd come through for me :lol::lol:

This is great info and just what I needed to know.

Thanks Jenvan and Patti for caring :)

Baking now will be put on the back burner till i get the temp thingy and call the CPAP people AGAIN and the dentist AGAIN and the dr AGAIN...WISH I WAS the gal who could wiggle her nose and things would appear :lol: Sure could use a good homebaked donut right about now. :P

Judy