Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rlemmon

Going To Dentist, What Should I Look For.

Hi Everyone. I Have a impacted wisdom tooth and a wicked cavity. I will be going to a dentist in two weeks. I told them about the gluten thing and they said they would discuss it with me when i come in.

I am terrified of getting sick from any meds or some kind of cross contamination. I had already gone to one dentist for a consult a month ago.

They cleaned my teeth because they were sure that the stuff they used was gluten free. When I called back for an appointment to get the cavity drilled and filled i again brought up how important it was for them to be sure about there being no gluten in any thing they use.

They tell me they will call me back in an hour after they have had time to look into it. When they called they said that they were pretty sure nothing of theres contained gluten. I said I need them to be positive. They wern't so I didn't go.

How do you guys deal with this problem ? I don't understand why it's a big deal for dentist, They should know whats in there products and if not you would think they could just call the manufacture.

I guess there don't want to take the time bother with it.

thanks

I think you should call the office manager for your dentist and insist that they check on the products that will be used AND that the gloves are gluten-free. At my first visit to the dentist after my diagnosis I mentioned it to my dentist and he started to google for information. I really did not think about the dentist stuff having gluten. I had my teeth cleaned and got sick. Now, evrything he puts in my mouth is gluten-free and I do not worry. They have two weeks to check on their products and gloves and should do so before you come in. Good Luck.

I think you should call the office manager for your dentist and insist that they check on the products that will be used AND that the gloves are gluten-free. At my first visit to the dentist after my diagnosis I mentioned it to my dentist and he started to google for information. I really did not think about the dentist stuff having gluten. I had my teeth cleaned and got sick. Now, evrything he puts in my mouth is gluten-free and I do not worry. They have two weeks to check on their products and gloves and should do so before you come in. Good Luck.

I'm another one who has had problems in the dentist chair. One dentist used a topical anesthetic to rub on my gums before he gave me the injection. The solution was mint -flavored. He said his other Celiac patient never reacted to it. A good source of information is the Clan Thompson books. They have a list of safe dental products. Just wanted to tell you that I reacted immediately, the brain fog was so bad that I couldn't write the check to pay him for glutening me! My husband knew right away and had to help me out of the office. The effects went away in about 3 hours. My new dentist is great, he promised not to put anything in my mouth without checking with the manufacturer. I've not had a problem since. They must be made aware of this problem, we all react differently!!

I just wrote about this on another thread--I've got two good friends who are hygienists, and they have both told me to be aware that some manufacturers of surgical gloves package them with flour sprinkled between the stacks, I guess to keep them from sticking together. This, of course, opens up concerns in other areas, as well--gynecology for one. Yeeeeessshhh...something else to worry about!