This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bleu Cheese Unsafe

xcraigx

xcraigx Rookie

One week into my gluten-free diet, still a long way to go with regards to learning the ropes. Is it true that bleu cheese is not safe for a gluten free diet? Is it all bleu cheese or certain brands etc? I'm actually most concerned with the dressings/sauces that I'm obsessed with for buffalo wings etc. Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

Bleu cheese is made with bread, all brands are no-nos for us. I don't know about the dipping sauces.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Not all bleu cheeses are made with bread mediums -- some are made with separate mold mediums.

Even if the bleu cheese is made with a bread medium, the chance of you getting "glutened" is pretty small...

I eat bleu cheese all the time -- Gluten Free Living (a gluten-free magazine) just did a big article about this topic -- it will end up being a personal choice, but if you can handle dairy, you should be able to tolerate bleu cheese (always read the label though..)

Bronco

lovegrov Collaborator

It is NOT true that all blue cheeses have gluten -- in fact it's debatable as to whether any have any measureable gluten, even the ones started on bread. I won't get into that, though.

Many blue cheeses are now started on an artificial medium, not bread. I know that Boar's Head says its blue cheese is gluten-free. Marie's blue cheese dressing is gluten-free. I think Marzetti's is but you should call to make sure. Call manufacturers and ask.

richard

krisb Contributor

I use the kraft blue cheese dressing. Kraft said it was safe for gluten. I haven't had any problems.

WGibs Apprentice

A little off-topic, but just to warn you -- check those buffalo wings carefully if you aren't making them yourself. Even if they aren't noticeably breaded, alot of places dredge them in flour, or use a sauce that has gluten. Good luck!

Becky6 Enthusiast

I have been looking fora blue cheese and all of the ones I have picked up say wheat on them. So just read the labels carefully!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

I have been looking fora blue cheese and all of the ones I have picked up say wheat on them. So just read the labels carefully!

That's strange, where I live (Virginia) I've never seen a blue cheese that specifically lists gluten, and that's in more than four years. I've had a copule of companies tell me that the cheese could have gluten but never seen it listed. Do you remember any brands that actually list wheat or gluten?

check those buffalo wings carefully if you aren't making them yourself. Even if they aren't noticeably breaded, alot of places dredge them in flour, or use a sauce that has gluten.

This is really good advice for any food at all. I never, ever eat food I didn't fix without asking questions. There are indeed some wings that are so lightly floured it would be hard to tell. Commercial ones I have found that the companies say are gluten-free include Buffalo Wild Wings (though not the Thai or teriyaki flavors, and yes, the naked wings are done in a decicated fryer), Dominos (not the kickers, the naked wings), and Good Fellaz.

richard

Becky6 Enthusiast

It was Athenos, Treasure Cave and and I am not sure what the other brand was. They were all blue cheese crumbles.

xcraigx Rookie

Cool beans! Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I will not have to give up my buffalo wing obsession, otherwise I would be :angry:

Becky6 Enthusiast

I found Crystal Farms blue cheese and it did not say wheat and I had no reaction! YUMMY

Archived