This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is This For Real

ebrbetty

ebrbetty Rising Star

found this link on amazon...do you think its a scam? has me wondering :blink:

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kathy1 Contributor

I made the mistake of signing onto this sight when I was 1st researching celiac disease. It has no free info and only tries to get you to pay for a membership.

I say skip it.....the free boards like this one is all you need.

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks kathy..I though so, but thought I'd ask

nettiebeads Apprentice

Sounds like someone taking advantage of (and making money on)newbies. I've been around for awhile and this is a new one on me. It's one thing to have links for someone to click on of their own accord, but it's another if she's promoting a membership for info that she may have well gotten from this site or others like it! Stick with us, sweetie. We're free (but not easy :P )

Annette

celiac3270 Collaborator

Quote from website:

I'll also send you information on even more gluten free secrets such as:

- Where to get gluten free bread that tastes like REAL BREAD.

- How to convert regular recipes into gluten free recipes.

- Restaurant tips while on a gluten free diet.

- Access to 360+ gluten free recipes, all organized in one place.

- How to save money on gluten free foods.

- And more...

Scam? Who knows? There are basically two possibilities:

1) There's the possibility that it is a scam: some person who wants you to sign up and will put you on some spam list or send you virus-containing e-mails with these so-called secrets.

2) There's the possibility that this person is being truthful in intention (her privacy and terms pages are gone now--broken link--so you can't really even get an idea). That said, there's no REAL BREAD that everyone else is clueless of. It could be Whole Foods, Kinnikinnick, or any number of possibilities. Besides, that's an opinion. So scratch that point--not that big a deal. Conversion of regular recipies--maybe she means flour exchanges, but those differ from recipe to recipe. My opinion: ask Mireille (lady on Delphi Forums who's a celiac and runs a restaurant in Canada--absolute genius with recipes and posts 10-20 on the recipe section EVERY DAY--maybe that explains, in part, her 30,000 posts on that forum). That also knocks off the next point about 360 recipes--Mireille has put thousands on the Delphi web site--also free. Save money on gluten-free foods--another bad point: could be the tax writeoff suggestion, could be buying in bulk, getting codes from some online support groups to save 10% off of orders from certain vendors, or the like--nothing you can't find out too easily.

I'm not signing up; I'd bet I already have better resources than that, and I know where to find better resources than anything she can have in her files. Plus, downloading files from a stranger is just plain dangerous. Ask me if you need help on any of these points and I can direct you to better internet resources :).

ebrbetty Rising Star

yes, Mireille is a great lady..shes been very helpful :D

I seem to run across so many celiac disease sites that want money..today I wanted to get a monthly newsletter, but it was 40 dollars a year..now thats not a lot, but I'm on a tight budget with my hubby being disabled and the new diet is costing me a ton of money :( this newsletter looked to have great basic gluten-free recipes, but I won't pay out more money for them

elonwy Enthusiast

The layout of that website screams "NO" at me. It might be just that she's got no webmaster skills and little money, but it looks like a scam, it doesn't look real. Other than things like dining cards and thompson lists, this website has all I need, and for free.

Elonwy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nettiebeads Apprentice

celiac3270, you're the greatest! :rolleyes:

kevsmom Contributor

I signed up at the following site to receive free gluten free recipes.

"angie@gluten-free-food-recipes.com"

As promised, every few days recipes are sent to me. Angie Halten, the lady who sends the recipes then created the "Gluten Free Club". I now get e-mails from her telling me how wonderful the club is, and that she created it to help other Celiacs. She does a lot of marketing of the site by sending e-mail offering discounts on joining the club, and encouraging people to join. I have not done so. I think she is spending a lot of time trying to recover the money she spent setting up the site. I spend hours every day on this site, and find all of the help and support that I need here for free. :) I wouldn't have the time to spend on that site too.

• 2 years later...
bakingbarb Enthusiast

I am so glad I researched this and it led me back here! LOL the place I find all my answers and it doesn't cost a thing.

She sent an email out offering all kinds of free stuff but the way it is worded is high pressure. It is very pushy but I thought I would post it here so everyone else can see for themselves. It feels like she (or whom ever this person is) is using us Celiacs to make her living. Go figure!

Sh

hh... Don't tell anyone.

But THIS IS IT! This is my

Easter gift to you...

I've decided to run a small

"invite only" Easter offer

for a small select number of

people to get their hands on

a Gluten Free Club Membership

with an insanely generous list

of bonuses!

If you're wondering if there

is a catch, yes, there is.

THIS OFFER IS ONLY AVAILABLE

FOR 1 HOUR.

No joke.

Go here to see if your time

has run out (there's a nice

little timer on the page):

(don't wait!)

ONE REQUEST:

Please DO NOT share this link.

Unfortunately not everyone out

there will get access to this

special offer (3 books and 1 of

my most popular reports), and I

don't want to get hundreds of

emails from upset people who

weren't "picked".

So keep it to yourself, and

DON"T WASTE ANOTHER MINUTE!

I will be watching closely,

and hold the right to take down

this promotion if too many

people buy.

So go here now, and claim your

4 special bonuses with your

gluten free club membership:

Warmly,

Angie

P.S. Yes...this big promo

will be over in 1 hour. AND

PROBABLY NEVER REPEATED!

So go here now and claim your

e-books and special report:

P.P.S - If you miss out on this, I

am TRULY sorry.

BUT PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME ASKING

TO GET THESE BONUSES AGAIN!

This is a "once in a lifetime" event, so

go there now and claim your insanely

cheap gluten free club membership with

absolutely no string.s attached.

Right here:

nikky Contributor

this is definately a scam looking to take advantage of newbies,

by the way im reffering to the first post in the topic

home-based-mom Contributor

The best kind of a new business to start is one that meets a need that is not already being met.

The problem with Open Original Shared Link web site is it seeks to meet a need that is already being met, right here, and for free. For that reason her business model is doomed to fail. That doesn't make it a scam, but it would not be a wise use of your (or my!) limited resources.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - trents replied to Fluka66's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Waiting for urgent referral.

2. - Zackery Brian replied to rsvtwin6's topic in Food Intolerance & Leaky Gut

Gluten and 30 other Items causing me Severe Muscle Inflamation Pain

3. - Fluka66 replied to Fluka66's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Waiting for urgent referral.

4. - Moodiefoodie replied to Moodiefoodie's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

Joint swelling when ill even on gluten-free diet

5. - knitty kitty replied to Moodiefoodie's topic in Related Issues & Disorders

Joint swelling when ill even on gluten-free diet

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Nacina
    Newest Member
    Nacina
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• trents
      But if you have been off of wheat for a period of weeks/months leading up to the testing it will likely turn out to be negative for celiac disease, even if you actually have celiac disease. Given your symptoms when consuming gluten, we certainly understand your reluctance to undergo  the "gluten challenge" before testing but you need to understand that the testing may be a waste of time if you don't. What are you going to do if it is negative for celiac disease? Are you going to go back to merrily eating wheat/barley/rye products while living in pain and destroying your health? You will be in a conundrum. Do I or do I not? And you will likely have a difficult time being consistent with your diet. Celiac disease causes inflammation to the small bowel villous lining when gluten containing grains are consumed. This inflammation produces certain antibodies that can be detected in the blood after they reach a certain level, which takes weeks or months after the onset of the disease. If gluten is stopped or drastically reduced, the inflammation begins to decrease and so do the antibodies. Before long, their low levels are not detectable by testing and the antibody blood tests done for diagnosing celiac disease will be negative. Over time, this inflammation wears down the billions of microscopic, finger-like projections that make up the lining and form the nutrient absorbing layer of the small bowel where all the nutrition in our food is absorbed. As the villi bet worn down, vitamin and mineral deficiencies typically develop because absorption is compromised. An endoscopy with biopsy of the small bowel lining to microscopically examine this damage is usually the second stage of celiac disease diagnosis. However, when people cut out gluten or cut back on it significantly ahead of time before the biopsy is done, the villous lining has already experienced some healing and the microscopic examination may be negative or inconclusive. I'm not trying to tell you what to do I just want you to understand what the consequences of going gluten free ahead of testing are as far as test results go so that you will either not waste your time in having the tests done or will be prepared for negative test results and the impact that will have on your dietary decisions. And, who are these "consultants" you keep talking about and what are their qualifications? You are in the unenviable position that many who joint this forum have found themselves in. Namely, having begun a gluten free diet before getting a proper diagnosis but unwilling to enter into the gluten challenge for valid testing because of the severity of the symptoms it would cause them.
    • Zackery Brian
      I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you've been facing with your health. Dealing with celiac disease and multiple food sensitivities can indeed be overwhelming. Here are a few thoughts and suggestions based on your experience and the replies you've received: Confirming Diagnosis: It's great that your gastroenterologist confirmed your celiac disease diagnosis through additional tests. Understanding the specifics of your condition can help tailor your approach to managing it more effectively. Food Sensitivity Testing: While blood tests for food sensitivities can provide some insights, they may not always be completely accurate. As mentioned by others, false positives are common, and individual responses to specific foods can vary. Discussing your test results and symptoms with a healthcare professional knowledgeable about celiac disease and food sensitivities can help clarify your situation. Research and Education: Exploring conditions like Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS) and histamine intolerance could shed further light on your symptoms and provide additional avenues for managing your health. Gathering information from reliable sources and discussing your findings with your healthcare team can help you make informed decisions about your care. Dietary Management: Managing celiac disease and multiple food sensitivities can be challenging, but finding a balance that works for you is crucial. Working with a dietitian who specializes in celiac disease and food intolerances can help you develop a personalized dietary plan that meets your nutritional needs while minimizing symptoms. Stress Management: Chronic pain and health issues can take a toll on mental and emotional well-being. Finding healthy coping strategies to manage stress, such as mindfulness, relaxation techniques, or engaging in activities you enjoy, may help improve your overall quality of life. Remember, you're not alone in your journey, and seeking support from healthcare professionals, support groups, or online communities can provide valuable encouragement and guidance.
    • Fluka66
      Thank you very much for your reply. I hadn't heard of celiac disease but began to notice a pattern of pain. I've been on the floor more than once with agonising pain but this was always put down to another abdominal problem consequently I've been on a roundabout of backwards and forwards with another consultant for many years. I originally questioned this diagnosis but was assured it was the reason for my pain. Many years later the consultant gave up and I had a new GP. I started to cut out certain food types ,reading packets then really started to cut out wheat and went lactose free. After a month I reintroduced these in one meal and ended screaming in agony the tearing and bloating pain. With this info and a swollen lymph node in my neck I went back to the GP.  I have a referral now . I have also found out that acidic food is causing the terrible pain . My thoughts are this is irritating any ulcers. I'm hoping that after a decade the outlook isn't all bad. My blood test came back with a high marker but I didn't catch what it was. My GP and I have agreed that I won't go back on wheat just for the test due to the pain , my swollen lymph node and blood test results.  Trying to remain calm for the referral and perhaps needed to be more forceful all those years ago but I'm not assertive and consultants can be overwhelming. Many thanks for your reply . Wishing you all the best.
    • Moodiefoodie
      Wow! Fascinating info. Thanks so much! I really appreciate the guidance. @Spacepanther Over the years I have had rheumatologists do full lab work ups on me. They told me they had screened me for arthritis, lupus, and Lyme disease (all negative). In addition to joint pain and stiffness I had swelling in both knees that later moved to my elbow as well.  I also experience stiffness and pain in my neck and shoulders when it flares. I vomited fairly often growing up, but there wasn’t a real pattern to it and I didn’t know it wasn’t normal (thought people caught stomach viruses often).  I don’t usually have stomach symptoms immediately after eating gluten that I notice.  The only other joint condition I know of is fibromyalgia. Good luck! Hope you can get it figured out. I only assumed my joint symptoms were due to the celiac’s because it is under control for the most part on a gluten-free diet.  The rheumatologist also mentioned that some inflammatory/autoimmune diseases can be slow-moving and not detectable until they progress.
    • knitty kitty
      @Spacepanther, I found these articles about the connection between Celiac and joint pain. Musculoskeletal Complications of Celiac Disease: A Case-Based Review https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10201087/ And   Intestinal microbiome composition and its relation to joint pain and inflammation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6814863/ And The gut microbiome-joint connection: implications in osteoarthritis https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6903327/ Sounds like it's time to change the diet to change the microbiome.