Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VydorScope

Fast Food Freis - Who Is Safe ?

A Chick FilA just opened nearby. What do they have that is gluten-free? Is it pretty safe? I rely on El Pollo Loco and In and Out for my fast food fix.

Aside from the CC and transfat issues, there's also BK and Wendy's. Wendy's fries are not on their gluten-free list because there are some Wendy's that do not have a dedicated fryer. There's no wheat actually in the fries and most locations do have a dedicated fryer. As with everything else, you have to ask. BK fries are gluten-free but many have comp-lained about CC there.

Hardee's fries definitely are not gluten-free because the fryer is not dedicated.

I just make my own at home.

richard

Aside from the CC and transfat issues, there's also BK and Wendy's. Wendy's fries are not on their gluten-free list because there are some Wendy's that do not have a dedicated fryer. There's no wheat actually in the fries and most locations do have a dedicated fryer. As with everything else, you have to ask. BK fries are gluten-free but many have comp-lained about CC there.

Hardee's fries definitely are not gluten-free because the fryer is not dedicated.

I just make my own at home.

richard

Thats one nce thinkg about Chickfila, they dont make anything else in their frier. No nugets, no onion rings, they just plian do not have them.

vincent-they do have chicken nuggets, chicken strips, etc.....

are you just saying they are not prepared in the same fryer? just asking.

I am a big supporter of chick fil a ..... looooooooooove them.

The problem with BK is they store thier Onion rings right next to the french fries in those Bins when they are finished, so there is spill over all the time. They also use the same scoop to scoop out the fries and the rings ( they aren't supposed to but it happens all the time). So the cross contamination is off the map there.

Elonwy

vincent-they do have chicken nuggets, chicken strips, etc.....

are you just saying they are not prepared in the same fryer? just asking.

I am a big supporter of chick fil a ..... looooooooooove them.

Yes, that is what the manager at the location told me when I quized him on it. I would suggestion you quize the ppl at your lcation since it is a franchise and could vary!

Well, I just sent a Thank You e-mail to Chick fil-a. They aren't in our town yet, but I can hope they come to, and I will make sure we stop by when we are out. I figure it is important to make sure they remember how many customers depend on their gluten free menu!

I was under impression that Burger King also used wheat-coated fries (started a couple of years ago). I believe the wheat coating made fries crispier (as the fries usually sit out sometimes until someone buys them).

Just something I remember hearing...we wouldn't want BK to end up like McDonald's (secretly adding wheat to fries).

I don't think the management at either fast food place did this deliberately to make money...they are probably not aware of all of the food intolerances/allergies and the reactions. They probably only know that peanut/nut allergy can cause immediate death. These management people are not nutritionists just Business Majors or Food Management Majors and don't know about medical conditions.

Guest nini

I've gotten BK fries for my husband on a few occassions (I won't eat them and he's not gluten-free so it doesn't matter to him) but every single time I've gotten them for him, he's found an onion ring or two in his fries.

I've gotten BK fries for my husband on a few occassions (I won't eat them and he's not gluten-free so it doesn't matter to him) but every single time I've gotten them for him, he's found an onion ring or two in his fries.

You know thats true, I recall seeing that alot (before gluten-free I perefered BK to Mcdondls based on taste), bah. Scratch them off the possible list.

At least I have chickfila!

The chances of CC might be high at BK, but they DO NOT HAVE a wheat coating. All you have to do to confirm that is go to the BK website and read the ingredients.

richard

My son was diagnosed Celiac 5 years ago. Since he loved McD's we went on their website and actually talked to the manager at our local McD. Both claimed that the fries were gluten free as well as the burgers themselves. My son has been eating the fries and burger (w/o bun and condiments) for years. I am SHOCKED and ANGERED by this new report. Indeed, I went on their newly updated website (update done 2/8/06) and found that the burgers and fries (and most everything else they sell) contain wheat. My son has had periods of growth and then periods of weight lose and a failure to thrive. We thought he was getting gluten from somewhere but couldn't figure out where. Now we know! Boycott McDonalds!

"Indeed, I went on their newly updated website (update done 2/8/06) and found that the burgers and fries (and most everything else they sell) contain wheat."

The burgers DO NOT have wheat in them unless you eat the bun. The burger patties are gluten-free. They're nothing but beef. Really. If you can find different on the McD website, please show us where. This has nothing to do with the burgers (which I don't eat).

Folks, if you're concerned about your children, DO NOT take them to fast food places. The chances of CC are sky-high there. It's jusst a bad idea and always has been.

richard