Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just got a box of chocolates for Valentines Day...anyone have any info on if they're gluten free or not? Are nougat and caramel usually gluten free? I checked their website, but I couldn't find an ingredients list. Anyone have any information?

This is from the website http://www.kintera.org/site/pp.asp?c=ewK0LjP7E&b=34870

The following email was received 1/06 from Amanda Morehead, a See's Candies Customer Service rep. Also note in the comments section that you can have the clerk look up specific candy ingredients for a double check.

"Our Quality Assurance department has advised that we have recently reformulated our products and we have eliminated wheat as a direct ingredient in all of our candies. Therefore, none of our products contain gluten as a direct ingredient and cross-contamination is no longer a possibility. We do wish to advise that our Malt Truffle contains malt powder.

We are still in the process of changing our packaging labels and do not expect to have this completed until later this year. Some of our product labels still list wheat as an ingredient. However, wheat is no longer used as an ingredient in these products."

You might be able to verify this info if you give them a call.

WOW! Thank you sooo much for that information. I emailed Godiva the other day. As they were my favorites for a long long time. They said that gluten is used in their candies. That as far as they would say, do not eat their candies if you have a gluten sensitivity. That really got me down. But now I will have to order See's! Thanks again!

Tinker

Guest nini

I talked to the people at Endangered Species Chocolate Company yesterday and confirmed that all of their chocolates EXCEPT FOR THE MANATEE BAR are gluten free. The Manatee Bar has rice crisps which contain barley malt.

Nancy, if they are saying just "direct ingedient" I would be skeptical on what are the indirect ingredients and why they don't list them.

Nancy, if they are saying just "direct ingedient" I would be skeptical on what are the indirect ingredients and why they don't list them.

Hi All,

I was wondering the same thing, and was hesitant to post that info. at first because I was unsure of what they were saying exactly. But, since they use terminology like "direct ingredient" and "cross contamination," I think there's a chance that they might know what they're talking about when it comes to gluten. Hmmm....maybe someone at See's would be able to clairfy? It sounds like they are atleast willing to share information about their ingredients.