This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does This Sound Like Cd?

crackrick

crackrick Newbie

Greetings everyone,

I have been dealing with a myriad of seemingly-unrelated health issues for a long time now, and they've come to culmination just recently. Had it not been for a chiroprator friend who has celiac disease and recognized my symptoms would I even have heard or consider that I may have celiac disease. But, I wanted to share my sufferings and see if they sound familiar, or if those of you with experience have seen a similar pattern.

1988 - Dx with Type-1 Diabetes (no family/genetic connection) placed on "constant-carbohydrate" diet

1990 - Dx with G.I. Reflux

1997 - Dx with Mitral-valve prolapse

- begin having stomach problems (diarrhea, gas, gurgling)

2002 - Dx with Irritable Bowel Syndrome

- Dx with General Anxiety Disorder/Depression

2003 - (Spring) begin having random shooting/sharp pains throughout body

- (Winter) begin having tremors in hands/forearms

2004 - tremors have worsened, now having "spells" ...all as yet undiagnosed.

- (April) have biopsy on swollen lymph node, no malignancy

After reading much of what many of you have shared with the problems such as diarrhea, bloating, gurgling, gas, etc.; plus from the information given to my by my chiropractor, and the data I've found on this site, I think celiac disease would/could explain a more-than-decade-long pattern of illness that could be partially reversed through a gluten-free diet.

I have talked with my family doctor, but he wants me to see a Gastroenterologist, and didn't seem to know about blood tests available that would at least show indicators. Should I wait before going gluten-free, or should I go ahead and make that move? If so, any diabetics out there that could give me suggestions for compensating for the loss of breads, pastas, etc. that typically make up a diabetic's diet?

Thanks for the help.

Patrick

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jhmom

Hi Patrick WELCOME!!!

A Gastro doc would be the best doc to see, preferably someone with celiac disease experience. He may want to do blood work and in order for that to be accurate (as accurate as it can be) you MUST remain on gluten until testing is over.

There are 2 other options if you do not want to take the route above....

1. you can try the gluten-free diet for a couple of weeks or months to see if you show an improvement, if you do then you most likely have celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.

2. you can order a stool panel test from Open Original Shared Link which is more sensitive than blood and you DO NOT have to be eating gluten in order for the results to be accurate.

I hope you feel better soon and get some answers :D

Archived