Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DavidB

My Pathology Results Are Ready

My blood work and Pathology tests are complete and I was left a message to make an appointment with a Dietician because Celiac is positive. I’ve read some numbers on some other posts; what do those numbers mean or what should I ask for when I call the doctor’s office back? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

When the numbers are elevated it means you have anti-gliadin antibodies in your bloodstream. It basically means your immune system is "attacking" gluten. A positive tTG means that there is damage to your tissue as a result of the "attack".

When the numbers are elevated it means you have anti-gliadin antibodies in your bloodstream. It basically means your immune system is "attacking" gluten. A positive tTG means that there is damage to your tissue as a result of the "attack".

Thanks for the reply. So the higher the #s = more damage was done?

Thanks for the reply. So the higher the #s = more damage was done?

The higher the anti-gliadin # the more gluten you've been eating and you're immune system is responding with anti-bodies. The numbers go down when you arent eating any gluten which is why you need to always test while NOT on a gluten free diet to avoid false negatives. As far as the tTG...I'm not really sure if a higher # indicates more damage...I've seen people with borderline or even negative tTG but still end up having totally flattened villi. I'm sure there are also some who've had elevated tTG but no damage seen in biopsy.

I'm kinda lost on that one. :unsure: