This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Valentines Day!

angel-jd1

angel-jd1 Community Regular

:wub: I just wanted to get a topic going for Valentines day :wub: . Holidays seem to be so centered on foods...and for folks like us, that makes things difficult!! So Post your ideas for romantic dinners, candies that are safe, baking recipes here!

As far as candies go: Russell Stover Chocolates are gluten free(except for ones that contain cookies). They have some pretty boxed chocolates for your sweetie. :wub:

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Start the morning with Amaranth Flour pancakes. With strawberry jam (or strawberries) instead of syrup.

And salmon for dinner. (Nothing says love like a plate full of wild (low-contaminate) fatty (heart-healthy fats!) fish. :-) )

Dessert of a fruit salad, with a touch of orange juice for it to marinate in, served with a bit of powdered sugar on top.

And second dessert: silk boxers or teddy with little hearts or lips all over. :-)

(I like this thread! great idea! ;-) )

:wub: Valentine's Day Chocolate Mousse :wub:

Ingredients

• 2 weeks later...
kejohe Apprentice

Here goes!

I like the idea of having brunch for valentines and my men (hubby and son) really enjoy this one!

Crepes w/ warm apple compote:

makes about 14 crepes

• 2 weeks later...
Connie R-E Apprentice

:wub:Smarties Valentine Love Hearts!!

We found just what we were looking for !!!!

"Smarties contain none of the following common allergens: gluten (from wheat, barley, oats, and rye), soybeans, milk, eggs, peanuts, nuts, seeds, fish, shellfish, or mollusks."

Right on the package by the ingredients!!!!!

These candies are individually wrapped--11 to a roll--and seem perfect to give away in class!!

Hooray for Smarties!! :wub:

Connie

--overwhelmed Mom

• 2 weeks later...

:wub: Valentines Day is almost here......just thought I would let you all know that Reddi-whip (whipped cream in a can) is gluten free. So you can run right out and get some to top your gluten-free dessert, OR to top your sweetie :D:wub:

Happy V-Day!!! :wub:

kejohe Apprentice
:o Hmmmm.... Kinky :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 years later...

Valentines day is just around the corner again......thought I would post and see if anyone had any new Valentine ideas or candy lists? We can post them here.

Russell Stover Candies gluten-free Statement from their fAQ section:

Do your products contain gluten?

Answer:

To the best of our knowledge, our products are gluten free

happygirl Collaborator

Something that we started doing (since eating out is rarely an option for me because I'm so sensitive!) is to orde Omaha Steaks. This way, we have a really nice meal, cooked at home, but is high quality/restaurant type food. I love their steaks! We cook them on the grill, and then make some potatoes, veggies, dessert, and have a nice meal at home. This way, there is no chance of being glutened!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Fruit Salad as mentioned above, I let mine soak in Cherry Juice, I do apples, pears, grapes, strawberries, blueberries and cherries. I dump the cherry juice over it and mix.

gluten-free Brownies

Chicken Scampi I am trying to find the recipe.

Fruit Salad as mentioned above, I let mine soak in Cherry Juice, I do apples, pears, grapes, strawberries, blueberries and cherries. I dump the cherry juice over it and mix.

gluten-free Brownies

Chicken Scampi I am trying to find the recipe.

Did you find your recipe for the Chicken Scampi? Sounds good!!

tarnalberry Community Regular

Skip the food! Take the day off work and go skiing! :P

Jess-

Excuse my lack of terms I could not find my actual copy but I know the most important parts, and I am not the most domestic person either :)

1 package of Tinkyada spaghetti

1 bottle of Italian dressing (I use Wegmans brand but whatever your favorite is will work)

1 package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or chicken stir-fry)

Preheat oven to 425

Cut chicken into strips or small pieces (depending on preference)

In a baking pan(I use the large rectangular pan) put cut chicken

Put in Italian dressing until the chicken is almost submerged in the dressing (dressing must at least coat

bottom of pan)

Put into Oven Cook for 30 minutes or until chicken is a golden brown

Meanwhile

Boil water for pasta

Cook pasta

Rinse and drain

When chicken is finished remove from oven

Mix in pasta

Allow to sit a few minutes to soak up juice

Enjoy!

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

I got to share this recipe with the public in August of 2005. I was at the Wayne County Fair in PA, a family tradition. I was walking past a booth for The Weekly Almanac, a paper in the Honesdale area. The gentlemen in the booth asked me if I had any homemade recipes I wouldn't mind sharing for the upcoming edition of the paper. I sat down and scribbled my Chicken Scampi on a piece of napkin. It was published a week later. I have a copy somewhere.

I have been making this for years. I learned in high school in Speech Communications only the recipe was slightly different. I altered it to my own tastes and have been making it ever since.

Yum Sounds good!! I'll have to try it out sometime soon.

Jess-

Excuse my lack of terms I could not find my actual copy but I know the most important parts, and I am not the most domestic person either :)

1 package of Tinkyada spaghetti

1 bottle of Italian dressing (I use Wegmans brand but whatever your favorite is will work)

1 package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or chicken stir-fry)

Preheat oven to 425

Cut chicken into strips or small pieces (depending on preference)

In a baking pan(I use the large rectangular pan) put cut chicken

Put in Italian dressing until the chicken is almost submerged in the dressing (dressing must at least coat

bottom of pan)

Put into Oven Cook for 30 minutes or until chicken is a golden brown

Meanwhile

Boil water for pasta

Cook pasta

Rinse and drain

When chicken is finished remove from oven

Mix in pasta

Allow to sit a few minutes to soak up juice

Enjoy!

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

I got to share this recipe with the public in August of 2005. I was at the Wayne County Fair in PA, a family tradition. I was walking past a booth for The Weekly Almanac, a paper in the Honesdale area. The gentlemen in the booth asked me if I had any homemade recipes I wouldn't mind sharing for the upcoming edition of the paper. I sat down and scribbled my Chicken Scampi on a piece of napkin. It was published a week later. I have a copy somewhere.

I have been making this for years. I learned in high school in Speech Communications only the recipe was slightly different. I altered it to my own tastes and have been making it ever since.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

My new favorite thing to make is risotto.

It was something I always wanted to try and make but was kinda scared to because I always heard how hard it was. A couple weeks ago I finally mustered up the courage to try; and was not only impressed at how good it was, but also that

1) hubby actually liked it - he is the pickiest eater ever and I really didn't think he would like risotto. He pretty much eats burgers and pizza.

2) that it really wasn't hard at all. Time consuming, but not hard.

A made an incredible risotto with shrimp and asparagus from a recipe I got off Epicurious. It didn't have the asparagus in the recipe but I added that in.

I think this is great to make if you want to have a bit of a special dinner because it's not necessarily something you would make everyday.

The recipe even gives a wine suggestion with it!

Open Original Shared Link

Chocolate Fondue

Chocolate Fondue

• 4 weeks later...
That sounds like a good treat!!!!

A highly sinful and yummy treat!! :)

Canadian Karen Community Regular
:wub:Smarties Valentine Love Hearts!!

We found just what we were looking for !!!!

"Smarties contain none of the following common allergens: gluten (from wheat, barley, oats, and rye), soybeans, milk, eggs, peanuts, nuts, seeds, fish, shellfish, or mollusks."

Right on the package by the ingredients!!!!!

These candies are individually wrapped--11 to a roll--and seem perfect to give away in class!!

Hooray for Smarties!! :wub:

Connie

--overwhelmed Mom

Remember folks, this would only be in the U.S. Smarties in Canada contain gluten. In Canada, you can substitute it with M&M's......

Oh and my suggestion:

Altoids!!!!! (which, by the way, I can't find ANYWHERE in Canada anymore!!!!!)

Hugs.

Karen

Sweetfudge Community Regular

hope to be going to Carrabbas :)

and enjoying my box of see's chocolate!

Granny Garbonzo Apprentice

gluten-free Cut Out Sugar Cookies

(all these various starch flours are sometimes called starch and sometimes called flour, but they all seem to be the same thing, just as with all ground things, some are finer than others, you have to experiment a bit)

1 1/2 cups Potatoe Starch Flour

2/3 cup Corn Starch

2/3 cup Tapioca Starch Flour

2 tsp Baking Powder

1 tsp Zanthan Gum

1 tsp Salt (I put in a little less than 1 tsp)

1 1/2 cups regular white Sugar

1 cup Butter (2 sticks)

4 Egg Yolks (if you make bread at the same time, you can whip the whites and use them in your bread, makes it fluffier)

2 tsp gluten-free Vanilla

Preheat oven to 375*F

Grease 2 cookie sheets

Mix flours, baking powder, and salt and set aside

Cream together sugar and butter

Add egg yolks and vanilla to creamed mixture

Add all to flours you set aside earlier

Work with hands to form a ball

Refridgerate until cool and firm (I am not patient enough to cool the dough, I use it room temp, it is just more difficult to manage as I roll and cut it)

Only bake the cut outs until they are just set well, about 8 minutes (I made a double batch the first few times and did some experimenting with my oven to see what comes out best, just bake one or two cookies on a sheet to see what time works best)

Now, enjoy holiday cut out cookies with frosting, and decorate them with the kids, just like everyone else! I even took a few batches to my grandaughter's pre-school class and they were a big hit with all the kids, gluten-free or not!

Archived