This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Milks?

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

Okay I want to do a trial of dariy free for a little bit and see what happens (I still have some GI issues, but I dunno how long its been since my last glutening) I got one doughnut from Kinkininck left that I plan to eat first thought! :D but AFTER that. I need to find a reaplcement milk to use in my frutiy pebbles. What milks (amlond, soy, what ever...) are advailibe in normal stores that are gluten-free and reasonable priced and would work well in cereals? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

When I was having difficulty with lactose at the beginning, I used Natrel Lactose-Free milk. It tasted EXACTLY like the real thing, not the sugary taste the other ones had. Pricey, though.......

Karen

mookie03 Contributor

I know a few people will pipe in on their opinions of soy...but i love silk soymilk- all varieties say gluten free on the package and i really like the taste- especially with granola.

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

I did DF for a while and my dd is still CF and has been for almost a year. I think it's great that you're trying it. I bet you'll see a difference. With dd we used Silk soy milk but she developed an allergy. We then switched to Blue Diamond Almond milk which we all loved. Unfortunately we found out she was allergic to almonds. This was ashame her Dr. said it was really healthy for her. Now we're doing Naturally Preferred Rice Milk & Lundberg Rice Milk. Whether your're using rice, almond, or soy the liquids are thinner than some cow's milk. If you're use to using skim milk the consistancy will be thinner like that. We used organic coconut milk in smoothies and things like that. We also use Vance's DariFree, Original as one of the best substitues for us. Vance's doesn't impart as much flavor and the other alternatives. I use Vance's for cream soups, pastas, cereal etc. We really like it! :)

jenvan Collaborator

Soy I can't do. Rice is good. I don't miss milk at all in cereal (just in cheese :) ). gluten-free/CF rice milks are Pacific, Lundberg, Full Circle, to name a few.

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

jenvan

(just in cheese ).

We miss cheese too. I wish one of us could make a casien free, soy free, almond free, cheese. :D

jerseyangel Proficient

I just tried Vance's 2 days ago--I absolutely love it! I haven't had my tea the way I like it (creamy) in such a long time. I have also made hot chocolate with it--mmm. I'm looking forward to using it in lots of other things. I cannot use soy or almonds. I had been using Pacific Rice Milk--but began to have a reaction to that. Plus, the rice milk did not have the creamy texture that I prefer. I only wish that I could get the Vance's in a store--I tried Whole Foods, Wild Oats and my small, local health food store with no luck. I will be suggesting to all of them, so maybe sometime soon.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WGibs Apprentice

I've been using soy milk for years, simply because I prefer the flavor. Unfortunately, my favorites ended up having some form of barley in them. Right now I'm using Soy Dream Enriched -- Original Flavor. It's fairly neutral in flavor when eaten with cereal. I find Silk to be a little too "beany," but I know alot of people love it.

gabrielle Contributor

Does anyone know if Land O Lakes Lactose Free Milk is gluten-free?

jenvan Collaborator
jenvan

We miss cheese too. I wish one of us could make a casien free, soy free, almond free, cheese. :D

Yeah, that would rock! (Although I'm not sure what it would taste like :) )

Does anyone know if Land O Lakes Lactose Free Milk is gluten-free?

This is on delphi list:

Land o' Lakes Butter (vp=3/1/05) (800-328-9680)

Their butter is gluten free. They will not verify that the light butter is gluten free because the ingredients come from a

number of outside sources.

Land O Lakes (800-328-4155) (ve=11/24/03) (www.landolakes.com)

All natural products such as natural cheese, butter and milk do not contain gluten per company. “Land O'Lakes, Inc. strives

to provide complete and accurate ingredient information. For any specific product, we feel the best source of this

information is the product ingredient listing.”

Karen

VydorScope Proficient

Just cause a product says "Lactose free" does not mean its dariy free right? So that would not work right? I am think about casin too.

It does get confusing. There's lactose free, then there's lactose/casien free. (those are the LF/CF short forms we see in the posts throughout the forum.....)

Karen

Becky6 Enthusiast

Lots of Kinniknick products are Gluten-free Casein-free. It it says ALTA on the package there is no dairy in it! So that should be excititing for you! Lactose free is not enough if you want to cut out all dairy.

VydorScope Proficient

Most ppl here seem to be suggesting soy milk, so then, anyone know if 8th continent is gluten-free? Thier site is about useless. :)

Becky6 Enthusiast

Not sure. We use Silk and I love it!

lonewolf Collaborator

I'll try to keep all my opinions about soy to myself, but if you try any soy milks, don't give them to your cute little guy. The phytoestrogens in soy are not good for developing little boys. (There's a book called "The Crazy Makers" or somthing like that about this and there's a lot of soy information at www.westonaprice.org).

kempy99 Apprentice
Most ppl here seem to be suggesting soy milk, so then, anyone know if 8th continent is gluten-free? Thier site is about useless. :)

Sorry I cannot verify if it is or not, as I am wondering the same thing. We drink that as well.

lorka150 Collaborator

Most lactose-free milks are not dairy free.

I drink Almond Breeze milk. It's delicious!

However, almond milks are not very high in protein (they are actually very low), so if you are looking for one equivalent to cow's milk, I'd go with soy. I drink Natura Unsweetened Soy.

Archived