Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike12345

New Labeling Starting To Show Up

A few mo's back Wegman's supermarkets warned that their store brand sweetened corn pops cereal would no longer be labeled as gluten free. Last month I saw the newly labeled boxes sans the "G" for gluten free they had previously placed on the front of the box.

Today I decided to buy some Shop-Rite store brand puffed rice cereal - labeling now states it has wheat in it. Checked Kellogg's for their sweetened corn pops, now the pkg says it contains wheat. And so forth and so on. I think many manufacturers will list their products as containing wheat simply as CYA protocol. The possibiliity of cross contamination exists so CYA.

Good news to alert the consumer to the possibility of cross contamination, bad news when the 100 products you used to buy hoping they were wheat or gluten free now dwindles down to 10 that dare to say they really are. And of course they will be the most pricey items!

I baked more bread in the last 2 mo's than I did all last yr. With prices being way to high for all types of specialty foods these days (the consumer is being fleeced), and no longer being able to count on "gluten-free" really meaning that, I plan on baking more of my own, it's a matter of dollars and "sense".

As a side note, I rarely ever go out to eat, even before the gluten problem became known. But I recently found 2 resturants that stated they would do what they could to help people with food allergies dine w/them. One even stated a previous cook for them had celiac. Years back I came up w/my own numbers on celiac, how many people might have it. But at the rate things seem to be going, diagnosed intolerance to wheat and celiac could become epidemic in this country w/i our life time.

I almost never go out to eat anymore either. It's actually made me a much better cook. Like someone else said on here, it's kind of a fun challenge to make anything with substitute ingredients. My husband wanted a white cake for Valentine's Day, so I made one and it tasted so good he honestly couldn't tell the difference from the old kind. Woohoo.

Guest nini

the thing with the Corn Pops (and most generic versions) is that they did use to be gluten-free, within the past six months or so they have added wheat and have just had to go through the old stock first before bringing in the new boxes... but yes, the labeling is starting to show up on things.