Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebrbetty

Artichoke Leaf Extract

just wondering if anyone has tried it? I've read it's great for digestive problems

heres some of the info I've been reading......

Relieve digestive problems. Various studies have shown that artichoke is particularly helpful in relieving gastrointestinal problems that result from an inability to adequately process fats, a result of poor bile secretion. Because it stimulates the liver to produce of this important gastric "juice," artichoke can help to ease upset stomach symptoms such as nausea, bloating, abdominal pain, and vomiting. Artichoke leaf is also reputed to relieve flatulence. Cynarin, an artichoke extract, has recently been listed in the The Merck Index, a pharmaceutical guide, for this use.

Ease IBS symptoms. Evidence for relief of IBS symptoms is not firmly established, but it may be reasonable to speculate that if artichoke allays digestive problems from one cause (poor bile production), it may help very similar symptoms caused by another, namely irritable bowel syndrome. A 2001 study of people using artichoke leaf extract identified a subgroup of patients with IBS, a condition characterized by abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea and/or constipation. After six weeks, there was a significant abatement of their IBS symptoms. Although not a controlled clinical trial, the researchers believe the results are suggestive enough to warrant further studies on artichoke as a treatment for IBS.

Lower cholesterol. Secreting bile helps the liver to regulate its production of cholesterol. Given artichoke's role in boosting bile output, researchers have examined whether artichoke lowers cholesterol. While results have been inconsistent, some manufacturers have nonetheless added cynarin, the artichoke extract, to their cholesterol-lowering drugs.

Since going off gluten I have artichokes every other day or so but I'm eating the canned variety. I put them in salads, eat them plain for a snack and sautee them in garlic as a side dish. Do you think that if they are canned they still have some helpful things in them?

if I remember correctly, the extract comes from the flowering part of the leaf..so I'm not sure you would get the same benefits. I'm still having daily stomach pain after every meal, so I'm willing to try anything..still thinking about giving up on the gluten-free diet, possitive blood tests or not, I don't seem to be getting better like everyone else.

I also love arichokes, grew up stuffing them, adding sause and grated cheese