This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Class Action Suit Against Mcds...

Cheri A

lovegrov Collaborator

How incredibly stupid. No matter how upset you are with McD, this is just bad news for people with celiac.

richard

OK, I just did a search on this law firm and you can see they've also filed a suit over the Million Little Pieces book and other things. You can draw your own conclusions.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
darlindeb25 Collaborator

The GIG has tested the fries and the oil and have stated that McDonald's fries are gluten free. There is no class action suit. I never doubted the fries were safe. McDonalds did handle the releasing of the information in the wrong way--it should have been released as stated early in this thread. My sis had fries there just last week with her grandkids and no reaction. Deb

VydorScope Proficient
The GIG has tested the fries and the oil and have stated that McDonald's fries are gluten free. There is no class action suit. I never doubted the fries were safe. McDonalds did handle the releasing of the information in the wrong way--it should have been released as stated early in this thread. My sis had fries there just last week with her grandkids and no reaction. Deb

CAn you link in this testing information?

How incredibly stupid. No matter how upset you are with McD, this is just bad news for people with celiac.

richard

I agree. :(

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

RICHARD

Thanks for the research on the Law Firm

wow

Judy

tarnalberry Community Regular

heck, if there's someone to sue in this instance, and I don't think there is, sue the supplying company who was not properly disclosing it's process with the oil to McDonalds.

jknnej Collaborator

I agree with the others here..while I think it irresponsible for McD's to just NOW add that their fries contain gluten, suing only makes other restaurants more afraid to offer gluten-free menus. And we all know we take our chances when we eat out, period.

Nancym Enthusiast
What if the companies who currently are supplying the gluten free market (foods, bread, etc.) decide it's just too risky. What if they think that as soon as they "slip up" accidentally (for instance a contamination issue), they are going to get their asses sued into next week. They just won't think it's worth the risk........

We're sort of damned if they do, damned if they don't. They can do several things:

1) Tell us to go to heck.

2) Make a better effort to acheive full disclosure.

3) Continue the way they have been with half-disclosure.

Personally, I'd rather either have #1 or #2 than what the status quo was, #3. At least you know where they stand and whether or not you can trust them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

It just had on a news channel here (CP24) that there have been at least three lawsuits filed in the U.S. due to McDonald's disclosure of wheat and dairy in their fries.......

Sounds like they will be coming in fast and furious, but I hope not...... Is this just the beginning?

I wish McDonald's would hurry up and come out with the "scientific facts" to put this to rest......

Karen

psawyer Proficient

I posted this earlier in another thread, where it was off topic and may not be seen by all the people tracking the McDonalds story. This is from CNN, in a story on the three lawsuits mentioned:

Open Original Shared Link (click title to see story)

Amazingly:

Nadia Sugich of Los Angeles sued Wednesday, saying she eats no animal products and would not have eaten the fries had she known they contained dairy ingredients.

No animal products, huh? What part of "contains beef" didn't she understand? That statement has been in the French fry ingredient list for years, at least since 2001. If the report is accurate, that one is going nowhere.

Sad news for all of us.

lovegrov Collaborator

I've now seen news of three lawsuits and they all apeapar to be so weak. In one, the parents allegedly claimed the fries gave their daughter seizures (for two years!!!) and actually "caused" the celiac.

What bull.

richard

VydorScope Proficient
I've now seen news of three lawsuits and they all apeapar to be so weak. In one, the parents allegedly claimed the fries gave their daughter seizures (for two years!!!) and actually "caused" the celiac.

What bull.

richard

I aggree! I hope MCD does not cave this tiem, and couter sues for all they can.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

What bull.

richard

I agree. Its total BS.

Do you mean to tell me this child has NEVER had gluten in her life and if it werent for the "possible" trace amounts in the fries she'd be perfectly fine and w/out Celiac? :blink:

C'MON...how can that lawsuit possibly go anywhere. <_<

VydorScope Proficient
I agree. Its total BS.

Do you mean to tell me this child has NEVER had gluten in her life and if it werent for the "possible" trace amounts in the fries she'd be perfectly fine and w/out Celiac? :blink:

C'MON...how can that lawsuit possibly go anywhere. <_<

Becasue like most big companies, MCD will likly cave in and write check to make ti go away.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Unless McD's pays to make these people go away, it sounds as if they have absolutely no case. It will be difficult to get credible witnesses and evidence to say that this "caused" their kid to have celiac. Richard made a good point about the attorneys. You can find a scumball attorney anywhere who will file a suit based a NOTHING in order to try to cash in on a few bucks.

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

This is ridiculous. I could have a similar case...say my daughter has suffered from possible long term neurological delays due to unknown glutening from McD's fries. Yes, I'm miffed at McDonalds for not owning up to the gluten in the first place, then letting the public make a more informed choice. But I knew it was always risky eating out, and I shouldn't have been as relaxed as I was in letting her eat the fries as much as I did. This taught me a valuable lesson, and we'll just bring Emmie her own food anytime we go out. This is what I should have done in the first place, being so concerned about her development. I echo what everyone has said about a backlash...this is not a move in the right direction for the celiac community.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Deleted article (potential copyright issues)

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Dr. Kapica said those extracts are processed in ways designed to remove wheat and dairy proteins, which are the substances generally responsible for triggering allergies or food-sensitivity problems.
Nice.

McDonald's said Feb. 13 that wheat and dairy products are used to flavor its fries.
:blink: As far as I can remember wheat doesn't have a great flavour.

Sorry, couldn't help but comment.

VydorScope Proficient
Jack Daly, McDonald's senior vice president, said in a statement the company hadn't reviewed the case yet and is testing its fries for gluten through a food allergy research program at the University of Nebraska.

THATS what we all been wanting. Hope they publish the results!

Mango04 Enthusiast
Nice.

:blink: As far as I can remember wheat doesn't have a great flavour.

LOL - true!

:lol:

angel-jd1 Community Regular
McDonald's says it french fries do not contain gluten. The company said Dr. Steven Taylor of the Food Allergy Research and Resource Program of the University of Nebraska conducted tests in recent days and found no gluten in the chain's french fries or the cooking oil used by the restaurants.

Open Original Shared Link

That little snip came from the link above. However, I would think that more than one article would have picked up the info, so I'm wondering how they got the info without everybody else knowing too!?!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

VydorScope Proficient
Open Original Shared Link

That little snip came from the link above. However, I would think that more than one article would have picked up the info, so I'm wondering how they got the info without everybody else knowing too!?!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

I would doubt that for 2 reason..

1) Only that one scource has it, as you mention.

2) McDondals still lists the fries as NOT gluten free. IF that was true, they likly would have changed that.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Looks like it was true, the press release says so :) McDonald's Fries are "Gluten and Allergen Free," According to Expert!!

I would doubt that for 2 reason..

1) Only that one scource has it, as you mention.

2) McDondals still lists the fries as NOT gluten free. IF that was true, they likly would have changed that.

Electra375 Newbie
I Next thing you know Restaraunts arent gonna be as "Celiac friendly" because they'll all be terrified of getting sued. I dont see how this is gonna help our cause in the long run. <_<

Yes, this is already happening IMO. I took my Celiac son to a restaurant and if it weren't for the fact I didn't have any other place to go, we were traveling, I would have said "please give me the check for the drinks, so we can take our business elsewhere b/c it is obvious that serving us is very distressing to you." I probably would not have had to pay for the drinks if they were going to be nice about it.

The manager came over and explained that they could not guarantee the chicken would be safe for him to eat. That their kitchen was not set up to do this, yahdah,yahdah. And she repeated it excessively. She also told me that their veggies were all pre-seasoned except for the broccoli and could not tell me if they were with gluten or not. This was a restaurant chain listed as gluten-free friendly in general terms.

I honestly wish I had gotten up and left. I just don't feel comfortable driving in that area of VA, it's busy, confusing, and I drive a really big vehicle (a 15 passanger van) and didn't know where else to go.

He only ate broccoli... sad, really sad.

I may not be happy with what McD has done. I do think there is a high probability that their actions were less than honorable. But I don't think it is worth my time, money, or energy to fight it.

I will however, not feel one bit of guilt by bringing my son's food into a restaurant ever, every restaurant this summer when I travel to my sister's wedding I intend to bring in his food. I will polietly state he has a genetic condition that has him on a special diet, if someone were to say something. It just isn't worth the risk for him, in addition to the fact he doesn't eat what I order for him anyway.

Guest Sibewill

Woooohoooo!!!!!!! Lawsuit!!!! C'mon lets take turns suing our relatives since it is their fault they passed this antagonist gene to us.... then the doctors for not finding out sooner and Nebraska for producing all that wheat and everyone who eats it, causeing potential cross contamination of our food. Ooh and my wife for forgetting about her lipstick that time... so much money to take, so little time :(

penguin Community Regular

Well, I'm talking to my lawyer about sueing both God and Mother Earth...

God for dreaming wheat up to begin with, and Mother Earth for agreeing to produce it!

I wonder what THAT statute of limitations is...

:rolleyes:

Archived